Track IR Support

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Track IR Support

Mr_Blastman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mr_Blastman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:03 am

Sorry, for some reason I am not permitted to search.

Has someone come up with a mod yet that incorporates Track IR support into XWA? Thanks.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:05 am

Man that would rock....

XWA's views system is really rather fubar, tho.

Mr_Blastman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mr_Blastman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 am

I assume there is no access to the source code, is there? If there was... Naturalpoint would be more than glad to help us put it in.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:15 am

I can't see it happening in XWA, unfortunately. I have a TrackIR, too.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 am

I've contacted NaturaPoint some times ago: they would be happy to have a classic game like XWA in their game's option, but usually they let the developing work to a game's user or to the game's developers (TG/LucasArts). They offer technical assistence and support (the codes of their software and an hardware set) to everyone is able to work DC++ and has a good feeling with the game. Obviously you have to sign an agreement with NaturalPoint, because you must not share their software codes with other users or progrmmers.
As I understend the game's code is not important: the work is programming the NaturalPoint software code.
I have a good feeling with XWA, but I'm not a programmer, so I had not the possibility to develope their software alone. Some months ago I asked in this forum for help, but none was able to do it.
If someone is interested in completing the software work, having the Track IR for free, I could try to recontact the NaturalPoint...

TomJeffJones
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by TomJeffJones » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:47 pm

I've been sitting on an un-assembled point model for some time now so my experience is limited.....but I was under the impression that Track IR or Freetrack could be configured to emulate a mouse in-game, and since you can free-look with the mouse in XWA....

I guess it can't be so simple though -- and nix on the 6DoF

Draco429
Commander

Post by Draco429 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 am

IIRC, The mouse only worked while you were in the hangar...
Eclipse

ffaaway
Rebel Alliance

Post by ffaaway » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:11 am

Please no yelling for thread ressurection...Deal with it.

I use Track IR with XWA and love it! I refuse to fly without it.

It is especially usefull when attacking cap ships with any of the turret equipped freighters and of course immersion factor in all ships.

Here is all you have to do:
1. Run the TrackIR software / Make an XWA Profile:

A simple Yaw / Pitch axis profile will suffice.

Use Template One:One for a flat power curve and set to a low speed something under 5 or your view will snap around so fast it is un-controllable.

You also don't want any acceleration curves because it will never re-center and it just gets too fast.

Set the CENTER hotkey to 'Pad 5' - numpad 5 key to match XWA game center view setting

Set the PAUSE hotkey to "Pause' - the pause key up on the F key row because F12 is used in game and not re-mappable.

2. Locate and run the file TIRMouse.exe in your Track IR folder.

This is the built in mouse emulator.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TIRMouse.exe"

3. Make a macro to enable / disable freelook in XWA.

You can do this all manually from the keyboard but a single button macro works best.

You will have to find what solution works for your setup.

As for myself I use the Saitek X52pro software and map a joystick button.

Program these three keys in this order "Scroll Lock" + "Pause" + "Num 5" What this does when you press the button- XWA will enable freelook, TrackIR will un-pause and center your view. Press the button again and XWA will disable freelook, TrackIR will pause and your view will be left in the center forward position.

Now your set! Run XWA and enjoy a fair approximation of TrackIR functionality in the Star Wars universe.
I always hit my hotkey to PAUSE mouse emulation even before I run the game because it pretty much gets anoying when it messes with your mouse control.

Once you load into the hanger freelook is set on by default but after you launch you will then have to hit your pause/unpause hotkey macro. If you did this correctly then one button will do everything. Essentially, mouse emulator mode will never center properly like a true TrackIR enhanced game so you just have to use it to look around then shut it off when you need to re-center. The hotkey I described will always leave your view centered.

One of these days I will post a video.

Hope this helps some people!
Last edited by ffaaway on Mon May 20, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
X-Wing pilot since 1993 and still kickin'

DTM

Post by DTM » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm

It works! It works!!! IT WORKS!!!
"Scroll Lock" + "TIRMouse.exe": that's the secret! Thanks ffaaway!!!

ffaaway
Rebel Alliance

Post by ffaaway » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Happy I could help and contribute to the XWA community in a small way. :D
X-Wing pilot since 1993 and still kickin'

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 am

I had no idea you could enable Mouselook while flying to even make TrackIR possible. Good job, there. I'll give it a shot sometime.

Mr_Blastman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mr_Blastman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:43 am

Dude... you rule!

I had no idea you could turn on mouselook. I had been wondering about using mouse emulation for a while and it was always simple--scroll lock. Thanks!

Diastrom
Recruit

Post by Diastrom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 am

Windows 7 users. If you are having issues getting mouse emulation to work in your game (i.e. getting mouse emulation to work on the main windows screen but not IN the game):

1. Right click on your short cut or TIRmouse.exe file and select properties.
2. Click the compatibility tab.
3. Select "run in windows xp" compatibility mode.

I have no problem using the TrackIR now except that I've always got to recenter. If anyone knows a way around having to recenter without the Scrllock,pause,pad5 hotkey, please let me know!

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 am

ffaaway wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:11 am
Please no yelling for thread ressurection...Deal with it.

I use Track IR with XWA and love it! I refuse to fly without it.

It is especially usefull when attacking cap ships with any of the turret equipped freighters and of course immersion factor in all ships.

Here is all you have to do:

1. Run the Track IR software / Make an XWA Profile:
A simple Yaw / Pitch axis profile will suffice.
Use Template One:One for a flat power curve and set to a low speed something under 5 or your view will snap around so fast it is uncontrollable. You also don't want any acceleration curves because it will never re-center and it just gets too fast.
Set the CENTER hotkey to 'Pad 5' - numpad 5 key to match XWA game center view setting -
Set the PAUSE hotkey to "Pause' - the pause key up on the F key row because F12 is used in game and not re-mappable.

2. Locate and run the file TIRMouse.exe in your Track IR folder.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TIRMouse.exe"
This is the built in mouse emulator.

3. Make a macro to enable / disable freelook in XWA.
You can do this all manually from the keyboard but a single button macro works best.
You will have to find what solution works for your setup.
As for myself I use the Saitek X52pro software and map a joystick button.
Program these three keys in this order "Scroll Lock" + "Pause" + "Num 5" What this does when you press the button- XWA will enable freelook, TrackIR will unpause and center your view. Press the button again and XWA will disable freelook, TrackIR will pause and your view will be left in the center forward position.

Now your set! Run XWA and enjoy a fair approximation of TrackIR functionality in the Star Wars universe.

I always hit my hotkey to PAUSE mouse emulation even before I run the game because it pretty much gets anoying when it messes with your mouse control.

Once you load into the hanger freelook is set on by default but after you launch you will then have to hit your pause/unpause hotkey macro. If you did this correctly then one button will do everything. Essentially, mouse emulator mode will never center properly like a true TrackIR enhanced game so you just have to use it to look around then shut it off when you need to re-center. The hotkey I described will always leave your view centered.

One of these days I will post a video.

Hope this helps some people!