lucasfilms bought by disney- Starwars 7

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

lucasfilms bought by disney- Starwars 7

sithxace26
Recruit

Post by sithxace26 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 pm

F****** awesome news, I just prey that Disney doesnt water down and dilute the movies too much. I hope the films continue to be big budget and stay true to star wars.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm

You must be joking.

This has almost shaken my faith in God - I mean that.

Who the hell wants Star Wars 7?
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Awesome and scary news, I start to be afraid about what will happen with lucasarts, the games, the books, the comics and of course the mods, what happen if disney chooses close all the mods? I recomend you start to cross your fingers.

On the other side, of course we can think that it can relaunch all the old good games from lucasarts. Personally the leadership from the company the past years has been a bullshit, they have made very bad games and they have not explored all the chances of commerce with Star Wars games, even I would say that they have left die the franchise. Now perhaps it takes a new and better course.

blajos
Recruit

Post by blajos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi there everyone!

When I had read first the Disney-Lucas article I was a little bit both sceptic and happy. I think this is time the when new ideas and speculations come up.
According to Episode VII my opinion is that the new movie should not continue the Skywalker storyline (or the original trilogy), but it would be cool to create a new film set in the original trilogy era. For example an independent story of Rogue Squadron or the entire rebel fleet, etc.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 am

Honestly, it can't get worse than what George Lucas did after the original trilogy, so maybe Disney will be better maybe not...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Maybe they can get James Cameron to do it like with Pirates of the Carribean. I only hope they don't screw uo and rewrite the EU. I wonder, with so many licensed books, games comics, how official can the EU be considered?
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

n8weigel
Galactic Empire

Post by n8weigel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:10 pm

I've been thinking the same thing, GT. The EU has been considered canon forever, but under Disney things could change. If they keep the EU, I would think the new movies have to be based around either the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn, or the Jedi Academy triology by Kevin J. Anderson. I would much rather see the Thrawn trilogy adapted to the screen, but Disney may decide the Jedi Academy trilogy to be more appropriate for their audience. Who knows what will happen, but I want to see Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Talon Karrde brought to life. That would make me a very happy Star Wars fan.
"May warrior's fortune smile on our efforts." - Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 pm

What I just read was that that it won't be the Thrawn trilogy nor anything else that's been written or published so far. If they're smart they'll move away from Skywalker completely.

One thing that I've been debating with a colleague at lunch today: How big is the worldwide Star Wars Fan community? And what percentage do those people make up of the whole margin of people who watch the movies? In Worst case numbers are against us, i.e. Disney says Star Wasr fans make up 2 percent of the whole numbers of viewers. Screw those 2 percent, we'll rewrite history.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:55 pm

*Poof*
The EU has been considered canon forever
The novels have never been considered canon by LucasFilm. It's always been their policy that the presence of the EU in continuity can and will be flushed whenever LFL damn well feels like it. And frankly, anything that kicks everything from Vector Prime forward out of the continuity is a step in the right direction. Stupid Legacy of the Force...
What I just read was that that it won't be the Thrawn trilogy nor anything else that's been written or published so far. If they're smart they'll move away from Skywalker completely.
Word I've seen so far is that it will still revolve around Luke and crew "several decades" after Return of the Jedi with their efforts to rebuild the Republic, but nothing specific beyond that. If they want to do it RIGHT they need to get Zahn and Stackpole on board as a writer. They're about the only ones in the last 30 years who've shown they actually give a frell about doing things properly. And Mara Jade needs to be in it. Just because the story is original doesn't mean she can't be there.

Nonetheless, I'm not exactly enthusiastic that this is anything more than a move to drain whatever crusty milk is still left in the cash cow.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm

The good thing about low expectations is they're easier to satisfy or surpass :D

Heh, thinking about it, if the new trilogy was indeed set several (e.g. 3) decades after ROTJ, Mark Hamil & company would be in the correct age :)

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 am

I would add two points for answer most of the questions.

First more asked question, will we see a Thrawn´s era film? and this is the answer.
The novels have never been considered canon by LucasFilm.
The second question, will we see more changes at SW? and this is the answer.
Kathleen Kennedy will the president and george lucas continue being the creative adviser.
I believe that Disney will put the money for new films but with conditions, the condition is how all must be set by George Lucas. If we want more examples, we can see Marvel, they produce the film and few more.

I feel that George Lucas wanted controll all his empire but it was thought on another era where he was younger and the world was less global, at this moment he can not make it alone. He has searched the help from a powerful company and he has found disney.

The Flying Dutchman
Ensign

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 pm

[cough]John Carter[/cough]

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm not going to judge what Disney will do with Star Wars based only on their track record with other properties. John Carter may have flopped, but they did an excellent job with the Marvel properties. There's arguments both ways as to how it could go: They could restore the franchise back to where it was during the early part of the EU period, (early 90s) or flush whatever dignity the series has left back down the tubes. That we can only wait and see.

However there's a LOT of work needed to get things back out of the hole George and the later EU have left it in:

1) The Jedi need to be neutered. Remember how much effort it took Yoda just to lift an X-wing out of the swamp? And he was one of the most powerful Jedi in the franchise. The prequels and EU elevated the Jedi to near godlike power (Zahn tried to fix this in Hand of Thrawn. Sadly, it didn't sticek) and they're frankly less interesting because of it against any sort of "normal" threat and requiring authors to come up with "bigger and badder" enemies and challenges. It gets utterly ridiculous.

2) No more superweapons. Death Stars, Sun Crushers, World Devastators, Centerpoint Stations, Eye of Palpatines, whatever. I lay this one firmly at the feet of Kevin J. Anderson, since he's largely to blame for the continued proliferation of WMDs in the Star Wars Universe, by example if not by direct action. There's only so many ways you can rehash this plot and it not get stale. And TBH, the Original Trilogy pretty much ran with it as much as you realistically can (and wouldn't have, if George could have made the whole series in one go. The Death Star would have only been part of the very last film). Part of what made the Thrawn Trilogy so engaging was watching someone take the most innocuous of tools and wreaking utter havoc with them (mole miners, cloaked asteroids, etc). Having everything hinge instead on one absurdly powerful plot device weapon is just lazy by comparison, and tedious to sit through time after time.

3) Disney needs to look at what made the Original Trilogy WORK, and that's centered in two things:

First, story and character. While it's undeniable the Original Trilogy redefined visual effects, the effects were only used to help PRESENT the story, not drive it. The Prequels got too caught up in their own spectacle and lost sight of what mattered. Characters were flat and uninteresting at best, and you wanted to beat them to death slowly with a sledgehammer at worst. The writing and acting were atrocious, the stories themselves were just ridiculous. For example, the duel between Luke and Vader in Return of the Jedi had so much greater drama, meaning and resonance than the Obi-Wan and Anakin duel of Revenge of the Sith because we CARED about the characters. Not just who lived and who died, but the emotional weight of the conflict with each trying to turn the other. Sure, the Episode III duel was plenty flashy, but the significance of a master and student so close they were all but brothers now trying to kill each other got lost in the lava geysers and Nick Gilliards comically absurd twirly fight choreography.

Second, even with its darkest moments, and knowing that some characters were going to die, the Original Trilogy was ultimately uplifting. This is a BIG part of the Base Breaking with the Del Rey-era Expanded Universe: NJO and Legacy of the Force are downright depressing. You may as well have just slapped the Star Wars License on a George R. R. Martin novel and called it a day (Legacy had other flaws going for it, but the decision to wipe out so many major--and more importantly VERY popular--characters in the name of "drama" was a big one). Whatever troubles the heroes face in the New Trilogy, Disney needs to remember that audiences EXPECT to walk out of a Star Wars film feeling GOOD, because that's just what these films are. Whatever profound philosophy they present, it's ultimately about watching how love, sacrifice and courage help Good triumph over Evil.

I'd actually discussed this with my mom last night. She got to see Star Wars during its original release, and this is what made the Trilogy stand out so much when it originally ran: At the time Star Wars was released, the world was coming out of the Vietnam War and entering a very difficult, exhausting, and troubled period of its history (the mid 70s-80s were, quite frankly, a social, political, and economic mess). This is reflected in the films of the period, which were often very negative and pessimistic. Star Wars was unique at the time in providing a glimmer of hope. The rule of the Empire was certainly a dark time, but it was possible to not just fight back, but to WIN. People CHEERED at the end of the movie, which was something that just didn't happen at the time.

We're in another dark and difficult time in history. The War on Terror, the global energy and financial crises, political and social unrest. Audiences NEED that release and that glimmer of hope. People might argue that the dark turn taken by the latter EU is "more realistic" or has more "depth," but sometimes you just NEED something that feels GOOD. You WANT to see the good guys win. The new Trilogy NEEDS to return to the lighter and more uplifting roots of the series.

To borrow from the Avengers, sometimes "old-fashioned" is just what the world needs.

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:26 am

James Cameron did Pirates of the Caribbean? Thought it was Jerry Bruckheimer. I do not want to see Jerry Bruckheimer produce Star Wars lol "James Cameron to do it like with Pirates of the Carribean" - General_Trageton

I think it could be that after the old republic mmo did not do as good as hoped, he realized the brand heading down hill, and the clone wars and the planned TV series was not going to make things better, only a slow painful death like the original Star Trek has gone though (I am not talking about the new movie: things before that though like Enterprise, and the TNG movies). Selling it while Star Wars was still really well liked for 4 Billion is a great deal considering he was probably not going to be able to make 4 Billion off it on his own.

Could also be a health issue from what George said in the Disney press release: he says he wanted to pass Star Wars onto the next generation while he was still alive, and for Ep 7 he will only be a creative consultant... Either way, I look forward to Episode 7, and hopefully they will churn out more games that I actually want to play!

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I was 25 years old, when the 'original' Star Wars: The Empire Strike back came out... I remember having this magazine, (forgot which one it was) which stated that George Lucas wanted to do 9 films from beginning to end seen through the eye's of R2D2 and C3PO. To be honest when when George Lucas finished the films The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones ( I still hate that title....) and Revenge of the Sith, he said, he was not making any more Star Wars film... I was upset because I wanted to see on whole vision if I live ( hell, I am 57 right now). Now I am hearing a buzz on the net it may be expanded to 12 films maybe? :shock: I just want to see the original 9 films that was stated in this magazine. And with all due respect to George Lucas he had a great vision, but I would prefer to see someone else (good) direct the films,

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:28 am

Probably I feel that I´m crazy but for me John Carter is not worse than Episode I and II, for me these films are on the same level. They are fun but they needed a point more for be very fun. Episode III found it but we needed wait years and probably it could be better, always it happens.

Now I will wait very happy these new films because before two weeks ago, I had not any hope from watch any new film from SW.

About all the other, games, books, more, they were fun and I wait that they make many more but I do not understand how people feel that these stories from them can be followed on one film, it is senseless, it was not happen before and it will not happen later. Most of these books were made by characters, stories and more from other books, there is not way from take one story without the need from credit all the authors and I must not remember to you how this is not a mod, I can imagine easily to all them claiming a profit from the films.

For me this is the origin from "a original Star Wars story" told by George Lucas and Lucasfilms the past days for the Episode VII and this is the reason because the Episode I, II and III were very different to all written before.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 am

Small update:

Both Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have officially expressed interest in reprising their roles. No word from Hamill yet, however considering he's just that awesome about his pop culture status (he's like the Hoff and Shatner in that regard) I can definitely see him jumping on board.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:57 am

It is now official.... "Michael Arndt" will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars Eps.7 film. Here is the direct link: http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-ar ... e-vii.html
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm

The Saxman wrote:Small update:

Both Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have officially expressed interest in reprising their roles. No word from Hamill yet, however considering he's just that awesome about his pop culture status (he's like the Hoff and Shatner in that regard) I can definitely see him jumping on board.
Oh God

Oh God

The second one is because I'm happy to see Sax.

Is it just me, or is our traffic picking up a bit?
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Fader
Galactic Empire

Post by Fader » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Probably both Hamill and Fisher will be in the films, but with a cameo part... they do not look good as Luke and Leia anymore.
Ford as Solo instead would be surely still interesting... even just to see how they would depict the aged Solo character 30 years later in the SW universe.
Work in progress: Clone Fighters, the Rise of the Empire campaign XWA mod
Trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BI8afj13sg
Download the pre-release: rev.0.6 at
http://www.maxgames.it/xwa

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Do realize that preparation for roles sometimes involves changes to diet and physical conditioning. Actors routinely put on or shed weight, or bulk up on muscle as roles require.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 am

Fader wrote:Probably both Hamill and Fisher will be in the films, but with a cameo part... they do not look good as Luke and Leia anymore.
Ford as Solo instead would be surely still interesting... even just to see how they would depict the aged Solo character 30 years later in the SW universe.
It wouldn´t surprise me if they use the same techniques used in TRON Legacy to create a younger Kevin Flynn / Clu to bring our heroes back to (digital) shape... :)
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Fader
Galactic Empire

Post by Fader » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:59 am

Marcos_Edson wrote: It wouldn´t surprise me if they use the same techniques used in TRON Legacy to create a younger Kevin Flynn / Clu to bring our heroes back to (digital) shape... :)
The result was fair in my opinion, but critics in general were not so positive: i read they compared the digitalized Bridges face to a "mask of death". Being Disney involved in this, i think your suggestion could become true... we'll see (in 2-3 years i think) :)
Work in progress: Clone Fighters, the Rise of the Empire campaign XWA mod
Trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BI8afj13sg
Download the pre-release: rev.0.6 at
http://www.maxgames.it/xwa

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:23 pm

A lot depends on how much the technology advances between now and then.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am

Off topic, in latest clone wars animation (starting last Saturday) the animation team Florini et al at Lucasfilm subtly included the Luxury Yacht 3000 in the pirate Hondo's hangar along with the scavenged Boba Fett's Slave-I ship. Also, they showed the "Hounds Tooth" and possibly the Black Sun's "Star-Viper" with wings closed, not sure. These guys are awesome and it's an honor they are using ships that we already know about in our XWA opt community, or least from the EU. Kudos to them, if so. We've already seen the Z-95 and Y-Wing prototypes in the series. I'm still hoping they eventually include the Victory Class Star Destroyers on a limited basis near the end of the final series in the future that play up to third movie, but far away from Coruscant. It would also be nice to see in the interim, the Republic's Dreadnaught cruisers and an episode of the famous Katana fleet Dreadnaught cruisers lost into space before they could enter battle based on the Timothy Zahn's historical story in his Thrawn trilogy book(s). Lot of play with that. Just saying, nice to see these subtle easter eggs in these animated films come to fruition. Perhaps the real life films too. Cheers.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.