No Death Star For You

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

No Death Star For You

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 am

A petition for the US government to build a Death Star, which received enough signatures to merit an official response from the White House, was summarily rejected citing the astronomical building costs of the project, as well as the key vulnerability which would allow a one-man starfighter to destroy the entire battlestation.

Surprisingly, the fact that the Death Star is pretty explicitly forbidden by the 1967 Outer Space Treaty to which the United States is a signatory, which bans the placement of weapons of mass destruction in earth orbit, (and it's REALLY hard to argue a weapons system capable of destroying an entire planet is NOT a weapon of mass destruction) was not included as a cause of rejection.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am

At least the response stated that the US government is against the destruction of planets.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

n8weigel
Galactic Empire

Post by n8weigel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 pm

Didn't the Empire claim at one point that the Death Star was going to be used for asteroid mining or something? I seem to remember reading this in one of the EU novels. I think it was a line to feed the scientists/engineers designing the station so they didn't have to think about the true purpose: blowing up planets. Maybe if the petition were phrased in this manner, it would have had a better chance... ;)
"May warrior's fortune smile on our efforts." - Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 am

General_Trageton wrote:At least the response stated that the US government is against the destruction of planets.
Yeah but they are quiet happy to continue destroying themselves, school by school!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:28 am

I'm concerned that this could leave a "Superlaser Gap" if Russia decides to build a Deathstar.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Law Snoll
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Law Snoll » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 am

I'm concerned that this could leave a "Superlaser Gap" if Russia decides to build a Deathstar.
Do you think we have no of it yet?