Long-running X-wing project needs a team

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Long-running X-wing project needs a team

bone_naga
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by bone_naga » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Hmmm...unfortunately a lot of the opt editors do not seem to play well with my system. That said, if you still need someone to test fly missions, I can manage that much, since I have a rather ambitious project in mind that requires plenty of flying anyway. The downside is the difficulty I'm having in getting the nested ships to work, which has prevented me from going much further. Are there any other hitzones that work the same way? I'm just wondering if it might be possible to nest more than two ships within a slot.

Sadsailor
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sadsailor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 am

There is a way, but I would rather not explain it. If you want to see it in action, I have a couple of missions that uses an OPT that contains 3 different craft. But for most cases, 2 craft is the maximum that you can push into 1 ship slot.

Email me at AdamL_T@yahoo.com. I am about to package up a test version of this game.

Sadsailor
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sadsailor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Nothing new to show, though I've still been working to finish the project. Here are more screenshots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bone_naga
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by bone_naga » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Good stuff.

Sadsailor
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sadsailor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:25 pm

I was testing a few missions this morning when it dawned on me that I failed to explain something crucial about the "two-ships in one slot" technique. I've updated the craft list since I've posted it here, but anyone who saw it and noticed that I have the ATAT and the ATST doubled with space colonies might have thought about the apparent discrepancies between the ship specs of the craft. Since the two ships share the same slot they obvious have the same shield intensity and hull rating, and for those wondering, I'm not going to just pretend that no one would notice that ATSTs were 5000% more powerful than they should be or that Space Colonies were oddly fragile.

The correct implementation of this technique requires a modification to the target-type ID of the ship slot that is being used for the "double" ship. I can't remember the values off-hand and I can't launch and editor at the moment, but you need to use binhexedit to modify the values. The default value is 67 for most of the craft, but if you change the value to 64 I think, the craft will be untargetable. This means that the pilot will not be able to see shield/hull specs inflight, which sells the illusion. If the hull value is set to reflect the smaller craft's rating, you can effectively produce the illusion of two vastly differential ships by switching shields on and off in XvTED. The shield rating would have to be set a little higher to compensate for the reduction in hull strength, but since the player would have no idea where the shields ended, it's the same net effect as having two ships. Of course, this means you won't be able to target things like space colonies or ATATs, and I gave that some thought before I implemented that particular combination. I went ahead with the idea years ago and haven't had trouble with it yet.

I hope that this helps anyone that may be interested in this process.

bone_naga
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by bone_naga » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 am

Good ideas. Thanks for sharing your techniques.