XWA ToD 5.2: Traitorous wingmate?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XWA ToD 5.2: Traitorous wingmate?

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:26 am

I'm on my first playthrough of XWA, currently on ToD 5 mission 2, the one where you attack the Imperial convoy and the mercenaries go nuts, forcing you to kill them as well as disable the two freighters that make a run for it.

The mission blows, because there's so much randomness in how things play out (if the Y-Wing wasn't so goddamn slow everything would be fine...). However, I finally figured out a system where I managed to defeat all of the mercs, twice in a row. And both times... my wingmates attacked me as soon as there were no enemy fighters left!

The first time, I was heading towards the TIEs that had just launched 20km away, so when I suddenly started getting hammered all I could do was uselessly mash the "nearest enemy fighter" button until I was disabled. It finally registered I had just gotten bombarded by my own wingmen. I'm not sure if it was one of them or more the first time. I waited to see if I could recover from being disabled, but no dice.

The next play through, I managed to mop up the mercs again, and flew around the Mobequets until the TIEs started getting close. When the TIEs were about 6km away, Green 2 started blasting her ions at me.

I was more prepared for it this time, so I flew loops while trying to find an order that would make her stop; she wouldn't bug out or attack someone else, but stopped firing at me when I used the "wait for orders" command. I thought I was in the clear, but by the time I had that situation resolved the TIEs had caught up and made short work of the Mobequets, causing me to fail the mission after it had already declared it a victory.

I don't like this mission and getting stabbed in the back by my own wingmen when I'm on the cusp of victory is driving me to the point of tossing out the game. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any tips?

ucrjedi
Rebel Alliance

Post by ucrjedi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Maybe you're attacking the merc's too early? When I look at the mission specs on ALLied it shouldn't be doing that, unless you were attacking an ally before you were supposed to.

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:06 am

Hmmm. No clue what you might be doing wrong, never happened to me.
Remember you can skip three missions, though ;) .

Cyrix
Recruit

Post by Cyrix » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 am

No, I don't attack the mercs until the "nearest fighter" button will target one of them. The wingmate doesn't attack me until everything is over. I'm wondering if it is a bug related to me giving the order for them to disable one of the transports - when the transport is disabled, it switches the "disable" target to me?

Skipping missions goes against my morals. ;)