Lucas Arts has shut down.

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Lucas Arts has shut down.

megarock58
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by megarock58 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Disney has announced today that Lucas Arts has been shut down.
http://clubjade.net/?p=48791
here is what they said about the decision:
“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

this could mean we could actually see a decent Star Wars game.
what are your thoughts?
abort mission, mission a failure. [tosses joystick out the window]

n8weigel
Galactic Empire

Post by n8weigel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Here's another more detailed report:
http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749
I'm not sure what the future of Star Wars games will hold after this.
"May warrior's fortune smile on our efforts." - Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Marco Antonio
XWAU Member

Post by Marco Antonio » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 pm

I think that all games will be on hold until the come out of the next bunch of films.
Then will be launched games situated in the history of this new films...

You can forget about original trilogy games ...

Question: how this influences the copyright of the XWA and a possible update or fix by fans in the original engine or something like that?
my WIP:
Derylin Platform - Modelling-100% Mapping-10%

blajos
Recruit

Post by blajos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi folks!

I'm wondering about the future of the Star Wars 1313 game. Does anyone know anything about this project?

Sincerely
BL

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 am

I think 1313's development's come to a halt a while ago, parallel with the first rumors of LA being shut down.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Turbostraw
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Turbostraw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:10 am

Hrm...Raven Software has released the source code for Jedi Outcast

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/4/4181560 ... di-outcast

I wonder if there's a tiny chance Totally Games (or Holland) might do the same...
Hello.

Law Snoll
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Law Snoll » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 pm

I wonder if there's a tiny chance Totally Games (or Holland) might do the same...
I wonder if Lawrence Holland should be asked to make a new Star Wars space simulator... so much of great can be done with using of modern possibilities...

Looks like those "effective managers" in Lucasarts weren't as tough to understand dire need of a new simulator, preferring to find somebody to make another one WoW-clone or "press Enter to win" games. Then maybe guys in Disney should understand what to do? Flight simulators are now in period of it's renaissance, online multiplayer flight sims like World of Warplanes and War Thunder were already launched and became more and more popular. But there's no of space flight sim like this yet, so Disney has no reason to wait. And of cause it should be best for them to ask real experts to make it. Who is the best expert? Lawrence Holland of cause!

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:18 am

Da'amn! Just turned out you would have played as noone less than Boba Fett in 1313.
Now that sucks!

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 pm

1313 is thought Dead - but it's possible the game could be spun out to another developer.

The likelyhood of a new Star Wars Space sim actually just went up. If Disney think it will sell, you can bet they'll make it. That will depend on how Star Citizen works out, though - all our hopes and dreams really do hang on Chris Roberts pulling that off.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 am

If so they'll likely do it through disney interactive or something.

Seriously, have you ever played any good Disney game?

Law Snoll
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Law Snoll » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 am

Seriously, have you ever played any good Disney game?
Aladdin, the Mujaheddin in tarboosh. :D

And now, while all of those guys once in Lucasarts and then in Disney plays stupid, then excellent online flight sims being launched. World of Warplanes, War Thunder and even more of them will be released soon! Just imagine how cool it could be to make such online multiplayer game... even on engine of old X-wing Alliance! Even on old engine!

But no... American "effective managers" are in mental crisis. Harsh crisis.

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am

General_Trageton wrote: Seriously, have you ever played any good Disney game?
Two points, Disney will not license the new games as disney games, they will be lucasfilms or star wars games, they go to sell the licences to teams which they want make a new game from star wars or another lisence from the lucas company.

Second. When did you play by last time a good game from lucasarts? the list from good games at the last 10 years is very short probably.

This is the list from all lucasarts´s games, it is long. http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/lucasarts/ The last years they were atrophied and the last from new games released was too short, many of them were bad.

From the last 9 years I would count these.
Jedi Outcast and this is from before this nine years.
Jedi Academy
Republic Commando.
Battlefront I and II (the differences between both are minimun).
Star Wars Empire at War/Forces of Corruption expansion (it is a bad game but it is good because it can be modded)
The Force Unleashed 1 (personally I do not like force unleashed games)
The Force Unleashed 2

And now if you check the list, there were a lot of bad games released by lucasarts and I speak from games with bad gameplay because if I start to count the games with bad graphics or design when they were released.......probably the list would be longer.

Now guys, I feel that the future from star wars games can not be worse and probably it will be better because now game companies interested at to make a star wars game, they can make it more probably than before.

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:27 pm

I was far more excited about 1313 before I found out about Boba Fett being nvolved. I'm sick and tired of both him and the Mandolorians. So my regret at losing 1313 is not replaced with a feeling of good riddance.

Battlefront I and II I would not really count as great games. I was all right, but II was taken over by annoying heroes and a sub-par space battle. And both were glorified mods for Battlefront 1942 et al.
Force Unleashed 1 was pretty good, with decent gameplay and story, even if it messed with continuity a lot. But TFU 2 was far less interesting, being much more repetitive and the story was far worse, introducing many more continuity and logic problems.
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

WedgeAntillies
Recruit

Post by WedgeAntillies » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:00 pm

It's naive to expect something like X-wing now. Disney managers are too good in math. statistics to afford such a project. Also, I may sound pessimistic but if you like Star Wars universe I'd say it's time to let Star Wars go, or at least to put SW theme aside for several years. There's a dilemma: on the one hand, SW universe is littered with nonsential, casual and unoriginal content and on the other hand no one is going to risc introdusing really innovative, complex and original things to a marketing-wise well-established brand as such ideas may not appeal to wide public. So I'd say for now it's only third-party hobby developers who may do something really interesting in SW universe.