Unity3d space combat

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Unity3d space combat

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi,

having browsed these boards, I saw a few topics about using Unity to create a new X-Wing/TIE sim but they seem to have fallen flat.
I also embarked on this as a personal project recently and wondered if there was any interest in helping me. I've never scripted before, but have followed many tutorials and adapted them to fit my needs quite well so far. Now I'm stuck :D
I have so far managed to create a multiplayer project that players can spawn in a TIE, fly around an ISD and Death Star. Lasers are fireable but only linked so far. I also have a flyable X-Wing, but I haven't set that up to be used in multiplayer yet.

The problems I'm having now are targeting other players (VERY easy to lose sight forever unless you can convince your enemy to meet you back in the ISD hangar). I did have a target box similar to XWA for certain scene objects, but for some reason, build & run breaks it even when run from the editor. This didn't work for multiplayer clients anyway. I would be happy with just the front/rear scanners that XWA had for now. I did find a free project that had 3d "elite" style radar and some of the targeting options that XWA has, but I couldn't get any of that to work.

Also, for now, I am using DarkSabers XWA upgraded craft models. As I said, this is just for me at the moment and won't share any versions with those models...unless I could get permission? I will want to replace them eventually anyway, as I'm sure they could be better optimized for todays engines, as well as having bump maps, spec maps etc

I haven't gone anywhere else with this as I thought you people would be best to approach about it first.

Any help at all with anything is appreciated!

Cheers,
John

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Well good luck. Yeah, a few people have tried to recode some of these games. Seems like a pretty big challenge, getting a program where you basically slot texture, model, and mission files from the old games into a new game. I can't really help you, because I don't have any programming knowledge or time. And if I did, I'd be working on a totally new XW game. ;-) But good luck to you, mate. :D

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:39 am

MajorParts, if you want, I can share with you models upgraded for modern engines. I have thousands of Star Wars models, all at 3Dmax but I can convert them to other formats and with good textures. All with permission and correct credits, some of them, even from me. You can see more about my work and the work from the people which they share these with me, specially from Nawrocki, the man who he has made or upgraded most of the textures from my models. I have several moddb sections and one personal site.
http://www.moddb.com/company/firefoxccmods
http://firefoxccmods.com/

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 pm

That's very kind Nomada, I would enjoy seeing and incorporating some of these models!
As I said, I'm totally new to scripting but I would say I'm 80% to having a multiplayer deathmatch type thing going on.
I managed to get the radar thing working sort of, I just need to figure out how to adapt it for multiplayer.
Of course there would be lots more to do, but having several people flying about in just 1 type of ship dogfighting would be a landmark achievement for me :D
Is there a link to see these models?

Cheers,
John

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm

I now have the choice of Rebel and Imperial teams and the player will spawn in either an X-Wing or a TIE depending on which is chosen.
At the moment, controls are the same for both but I can have different characteristics. Any suggestions as to how the 2 craft should differ there would be helpful.

p.s.
The radar is working now too, with all the little on screen indicators etc...except, the factions seem to be the same...IE, if I have some stationary Rebel objects, they are marked as red(hostile) if spawning as Imperial, but also red if spawning as Rebel.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Your project sound very promising. I'm looking forward to see it once there is something to show. :)

By the way: Over at the GoG-forums, a possible reimplementation of X-Wing, similar to OpenRA or DarkXL and based on Unity, is being discussed:
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwin ... rest/page1
It is planned that you need to actually own X-Wing in order to play the reimplementation, just like you have to own TIE Fighter to install the TFTC.
Would you eventually be interested to contribute to this project?

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:06 am

Sounds interesting. It is a massive task to replicate the whole game though. I'm having enough trouble getting 2 ships to fly about and shoot each other!
Seeing as how I need help with what I'm doing, I doubt I will be much use to someone thinking of doing the whole thing.

I'll keep my eye on it though.

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:19 am

I now have x-wing, y-wing, a-wing, tie fighter and tie interceptor selectable to fly, each with slightly different characteristics. The laser hit code still needs a lot of work and I will probably end up rewriting it.
The scale of these opts seems a bit hit and miss too...some I'm leaving at scale factor 1 when importing to unity and others have to be 0.7 or 1.35...not sure what's going on there, but they seem ok now when compared to one another.

I did have particle effects that looked nice coming from the exhausts, but because you can't see your own and I couldn't have them dynamic for remote players, I changed to a trail renderer, which isn't as good but has a decent enough effect. These screens are of stationary ships, so they don't show that part of things.
Image4.jpg
Image5.jpg
Image9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:18 pm

I like that, nice work!!

"Nasios pa vola"

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 am

I started again with this to experiment with some ship systems. The models are from RS2 this time thanks to iteachvader!

The TIEs don't fly like they should, but they do fly about and are helping me test things. Missiles don't work yet and just fire straight. It's also very easy to find yourself in darkest space alone...I spawn an enemy and try to follow him back to where the others gather.

keys...

xbox360 controller or WASD & arrow keys to fly

f - open wings
g - close wings (engine power increase but cannot fire lasers)
z - weapon mode
x - weapon fire setting
right ctrl - fire weapon
\ - 0 throttle
[ - 1/3 throttle
] - 2/3 throttle
backspace - full throttle
f9 - laser charge mode
f10 - shield charge mode
f11 - transfer shields to lasers
f12 - transfer lasers to shields
t - target nearest enemy
c - toggle cockpit tv
return - spawn enemy at player position
TAB - change camera

http://www.majorparts.webspace.virginme ... ngWEB.html

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:12 am

I got unity development kit on my system here and got started and did some small routines and stuff but life is so damn busy...looks good man. Well Done! :)
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 am

Neat stuff. I've played around a bit with Unity in the past, but not in great depth.

gongo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by gongo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:06 am

-
Last edited by gongo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:55 am

Web player version updated (gets updated all the time). Can't remember what's changed...mainly cosmetic. I think I added debris damage since the last one.
Here is an Oculus rift version so far too.....

http://www.majorparts.webspace.virginme ... ngRift.rar

Right CTRL = recenter display
Esc = Quit app

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Very cool! I hope you keep with this and this becomes an actual game. If they don't make a new Star Wars flight sim, the fans might just have to make their own.

I've thought of making a Star Wars overhead shoot 'em up, because surprisingly nobody has ever made one.

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks. It's been updated a few times since that last post.

Spawn a TIE with "return" and an X Wing with "r"

I'm not happy with how the AI fly about still, but it's a start. One day I will figure out the radar crap too...or not :(

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 am

There is now a radar! Until AI spawning is handled better, don't spawn anything until you are moving!

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Realised I hadn't updated the webplayer for a while, so just have!

Among the things I can remember sorting out.....

Can now target nearest friendly by pressing "y"
Can cycle enemy targets with "n" & friendly targets with "m"
I worked on targeting ships that were targeting your target, but it doesn't work properly yet. Not really any need for that yet though anyway.
Missiles work now (sort of). They have trouble hitting the target sometimes. You need to keep your target in the sights for a few seconds (less than 2Km away) and a sound will tell you when you have a lock. You only get 6 now too. (problem...the lock is taken from the camera position, so you could be looking out the side window at a target and still get a lock. I think you can also get a lock if the target is directly behind you).
I did have an ISD and CC as spawn areas, but as these are from the UCP, I removed them. Instead of the CC, there is a big box thing that was once an invisible collider. Touching this box will give you 6 missiles again and gradually repair any damage.
Shields work now and will take damage before the hull does. Slight problem though...if the shields go below 0, they will not regenerate (which is good) but if you transfer laser power to shields to get them back up more than 0, they will then continue to regenerate. Easy fix, just not got round to it yet.
AI X-Wings have a regenerating shield.
Enemy TIEs now spawn in waves. The number of TIEs that spawn is equal to the wave number. You can still summon more by pressing "return".
You get 2 X-Wing reinforcements from the start and when both are destroyed, another 2 will spawn. You can still summon more by pressing "r". Once all are destroyed, 2 will automatically spawn again.

I think that's about it. The link is still the same.

Is anybody able to capture Hi Res video of some gameplay for me?

Cheers

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm

It looks great man keep up the good work! :)
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:46 am

Apologies to anyone interested in the progress of this....virginmedia decided to close their cloud and webspace services, so all my game links are now dead.