STAR WARS Eisode VII: The Force Awakens

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: STAR WARS Eisode VII: The Force Awakens

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:25 am

General_Trageton wrote:
Marcos_Edson wrote:Didn't realize it was a SSD... Could it spark another SSD size debate? :D
Well I couldn't help but do a quick size comparison with the XWAU Falcon and the 17.6km XWAU SSD. Seems about right, compared to the trailer
falconssd.jpg
Cool! :thumbs:
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Some more images of the models on display at Celebration. Lots of extreme closeups.

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/2015/0 ... e-awakens/

More I see the X-Wing, the more I like it.

BB8 is slotted in the back.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon May 04, 2015 1:09 am

So - I'm gonna say it...

The Rebels lost, right?

That's definitely the way it looks, it's the rebellion's Raptor all over these "Resistance" fighters and we have the "First Order" instead of the "New Order" so it's looking like blowing up- the DSII didn't do all that much, which I suppose makes a certain amount of sense because the Empire does span the galaxy.

Still... a little disappointed.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Mon May 04, 2015 3:28 am

BattleDog wrote:So - I'm gonna say it...

The Rebels lost, right?

That's definitely the way it looks, it's the rebellion's Raptor all over these "Resistance" fighters and we have the "First Order" instead of the "New Order" so it's looking like blowing up- the DSII didn't do all that much, which I suppose makes a certain amount of sense because the Empire does span the galaxy.

The thing is even in the original film they hinted that the Empire was pretty heavily-dependent on the Emperor for its stability

Tagge: How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

That right there makes the Imperial factionalism we saw in the original EU highly likely in the aftermath of the Emperor's death. No more Emperor, no one to keep those regional governors in line, and the Empire SHOULD collapse as the different governors scramble to pick as many pieces off the carcass as they can.

Now, maybe it happens in the "new" timeline as well, only one of those scavengers was just a little bit bigger than the others, and started gobbling up the other territories, while the Rebellion got overwhelmed by all the chaos. Perhaps rather than the newly "liberated" systems going over to the Rebels and helping form the nucleus of the New Republic, they instead grabbed whatever they could for themselves.

Who knows. All we can do is wait, but I'm not holding my breath.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue May 05, 2015 1:17 am

The Saxman wrote:
BattleDog wrote:So - I'm gonna say it...

The Rebels lost, right?

The thing is even in the original film they hinted that the Empire was pretty heavily-dependent on the Emperor for its stability

Tagge: How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

That right there makes the Imperial factionalism we saw in the original EU highly likely in the aftermath of the Emperor's death. No more Emperor, no one to keep those regional governors in line, and the Empire SHOULD collapse as the different governors scramble to pick as many pieces off the carcass as they can.

Now, maybe it happens in the "new" timeline as well, only one of those scavengers was just a little bit bigger than the others, and started gobbling up the other territories, while the Rebellion got overwhelmed by all the chaos. Perhaps rather than the newly "liberated" systems going over to the Rebels and helping form the nucleus of the New Republic, they instead grabbed whatever they could for themselves.

Who knows. All we can do is wait, but I'm not holding my breath.
Well, the Empire is basically Rome and th Emperor is basically an Evil Augustus crossed with Hitler. In WWII the Allies held off killing Hitler because they believed the Reich would be better off without him in control, and the wheels didn't come of the Principate until a few hundred years after Augustus's death.

Yes, factionalism is hinted at as being a problem in the Empire, but that was explored almost entirely in the EU. What we see of the Empire are utterly loyal foot soldiers and what is actually a highly professional and conscientious officer class with a strong aristocratic element that holds it together. Interestingly, Admiral Ozzel is the only real idiot officer we see, and he's not that much of an idiot. Ironically, it's the megalomaniac Emperor and his madcap "trap" for Luke that ends up screwing things for the Empire. Without Luke on the DS II to kill the Emperor it's possible that the whole attack would have failed. More to the point, the Emperor could have prevented the whole DSII battle, once the station was finished the Empire would have been done for.

Aside from that the most stupid thing an Imperial does is probably Tarkin destroying Alderaan, that must have upset a huge number of people.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

CIDlord_1973
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CIDlord_1973 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:00 am

Hmm i love the entire saga, but not ep7.
Not many new ships...after so many years??
Grrr...
And they killed Han Solo !!!
Grrrrrr...!!!
I hope Finn die soon.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:10 pm

Since this topic is revived, I wonder if anyone else noticed the error with the New X-Wing engines?

While in Space, clearly the intakes do nothing, however in atmosphere, how do the impellors work in the engines? The designer of the T70 really didn't think about that, he simply put a knife through the impellor...
At least the T65 worked as both spacecraft and atmospheric craft.

Trev

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm

They move loke windscreen wipers :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Star Wars and physics aren't good friends at the best of times, but they really went off the roads with TFA. Hyperspacing into a planet's atmosphere and the entire concept of Starkiller Base are... questionable.

CIDlord_1973
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CIDlord_1973 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 pm

YEAH LOL
I agree, gravity won't allow a starkiller base.

And Maul's death in rebels...omg...
Years waiting for Kenobi-Maul duel...and it's only 3 seconds !!!
----WTF????----
And then i saw Kenobi's fans loving it...they are so blind...they don't see the real consecuences of that episode, after this duel, with Maul and the inquisitors dead, just say bye bye to Kenobi's spin off.
Damm you, Disney !!!

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Kenobi's Diary:
Day 2421, I walked along the dunes, its hot.
Day 2422, I felt a disturbance in the force, found a young jedi, killed Maul after all these years. Seen luke.
Day 2423, Slept in, had sand in my shoes.
Day 2424, Went to Mos Eisly for a drink

Yeah, great spin-off :lachtot:

haha, yeah, windscreen-wipers, they didn't think about a lot of things, they "look cool" but no thought into it.

Trev

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm

CIDlord_1973 wrote: And Maul's death in rebels...omg...
Years waiting for Kenobi-Maul duel...and it's only 3 seconds !!!
----WTF????----
And then i saw Kenobi's fans loving it...they are so blind...they don't see the real consecuences of that episode, after this duel, with Maul and the inquisitors dead, just say bye bye to Kenobi's spin off.
Damm you, Disney !!!
That dual was symbolic, it made perfect sense, it was also inspired by a samuari film I can't remember the name of.

Obi-Wan had changed, learned, Maul hadn't at all he was the same old.

Maul tried to kill Obi-Wan the same way he kill Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan knew it and knew how to counter it.

Also this doesn't screw over an Obi-Wan Spin off.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 am

Not to mention Maul had been running around in the desert for several weeks at least.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:10 am

Tuskin wrote:That dual was symbolic, it made perfect sense, it was also inspired by a samuari film I can't remember the name of
Agreed. And more than that. That film, "Seven Samurai" was one of Lucas' original inspirations for Star wars in the first place, plus the foundation for his idea of the Jedi. So maybe ppl should inform themselves before jumping on the rant train.

That said, how about we quit the rageing and let this thread that has been so rudely revived by CIDLord(again), rest in peace?

Thread closed.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear