XWA on Good Old Games

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XWA on Good Old Games

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Hey guys.

So it's been a while. Just stopping in because I hadn't seen this bit of news posted. X-Wing Alliance is now available as a digital download, for the first time ever, on gog.com. Given the quality of support most games on GOG get, this is pretty exciting news for the future of XWA.

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_alliance

I'm looking forward to seeing if this release can expand the playerbase for the first time in a decade, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results of the engine tinkering you guys are playing with. Haven't had chance to test out the new backdrops yet, but I'm excited about the idea that's just the first step in a graphically revitalised XWA.

So, anyone else going to be replacing their old, worn out discs?
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Fire_Spy
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fire_Spy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't know about replacing them but it'll certainly make it easier to install it.

I was hoping they'd do this, especially after they released the original X-wing and Tie Fighter last year.. :D
"Legend has it the Earth was created in six days and now watch out! here comes genesis, We'll do it for you in six minutes!"<BR>"Really doctor you must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing"-Spock and Dr McCoy STII

heychadwick
Recruit

Post by heychadwick » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:47 pm

So, I'm thinking of getting the game off GOG, but I will want to use these awesome files you guys have done. Will your downloads work with the GOG game? Or does it only work with the disc version?

LtGrandMaster
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LtGrandMaster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Someone told me that the large craft pack doesn't work, I can't confirm till later. If that is the case can I assume you guys will update with a fix....pretty, pretty, please :D

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:40 pm

PLEASE NOTE:

That NONE of the Craft Packs will work with an installed version of the GOG.com X-Wing: Alliance

This means

Darksabers Ultimate Craft Pack Version 2.1 (DSUCPv2.1.exe) or
X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Craft Pack Version 1.0 (XWAUCPv1.0.exe)

At the moment the installers only search CD-Rom/DvD-Drives for the original discs to extract file from and to the XWA Dir.
Therefore, if you don't have the discs in your drives the installer won't install.

I'll be working on solving this problem as soon as possible.

If I see any posts in the forums regarding the Craft Packs Not working with a GOG.com install, I'll refer them to this post.

PLEASE BE PATIENT!!!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

heychadwick
Recruit

Post by heychadwick » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Very kind of you. I'm sure many gamers out there will appreciate it. I know it means you taking your personal time to assist other people for a problem that you don't have. I can wait patiently.

Destex
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Destex » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Looking forward to it! As a X-Wing and TIE-Fighter enthusiast I've never played X-Wing Alliance and I'm eager to try it fully moded. I'd also appreciate if someone could explain how can I run it on HD resolution and on 16:9 aspect, if at all possible. Thank you!

Dariusx
Recruit

Post by Dariusx » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:58 pm

I have the original discs, I was wondering if I used the digital download from GOG if I could use the installation discs to add the XWA upgrade? Meaning I would install and play using the Gog.com version and just put in the discs while installing the upgrade packs for the disc checks.

LtGrandMaster
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LtGrandMaster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:07 pm

That's amazing to hear, and until then I will run my disc version :ugeek:

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm not sure if its something they did, but I can run it fine in 3D hardware mode with the latest AMD drivers. Last time I tried that with my Disc Copy it said it wasn't supported.

Also the HUD isn't broken.

If it is something on their end, I hope that means their eventual release of Dark Forces 2 will work fine as well.
Last edited by Tuskin on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Great news :D :D - that's my morning off sorted for tomorrow.

Kudos to all involved with the XWAU project that has kept this great game alive and enhanced.

This Old Jedi is happy. :D

Edrac
Recruit

Post by Edrac » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:17 pm

The Craft Packs don't work, but will the individual ship installers work?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes they will
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Edrac
Recruit

Post by Edrac » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:31 pm

Darksaber wrote:Yes they will
Excellent!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:41 pm

Let me just say, you may run into other problems, just take note of this thread

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... 223#p70411
- John Lydgate

Edrac
Recruit

Post by Edrac » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:03 am

Darksaber wrote:Let me just say, you may run into other problems, just take note of this thread

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... 223#p70411
Ah, I'll keep that in mind. Any other issues I might run into? I remember Way back in the day some of the Calimari cruisers causing issues with missions due to the location of their hangers on the new models. That still something to watch out for?

Javier Lopez
Ensign

Post by Javier Lopez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 am

Wonder if they did something so the game doesnt ask you for change CDs anymore..

Also.. XvsT doesnt seem to include BoP. :?
Known as Sparrow<BR>Lores del Sith SQuadron.<BR>ICQ: 70084473

LtGrandMaster
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LtGrandMaster » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:43 am

I have the cd version installed, you think I can replace the gog folders with the cd version folders with all of the upgrades? or at least for the flight models?

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:59 am

Yes, Destex, it's possible. It requires you to use a hex editor, and editing specific strings. A simple patch that edits this, along with new graphics for the new resolution options (that is, image files that say "1920x1080," etc), would help.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:09 am

Javier Lopez wrote:Wonder if they did something so the game doesnt ask you for change CDs anymore..

Also.. XvsT doesnt seem to include BoP. :?
Weird, it says Balance of Power on the page.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:05 am

FYI: The release article on Kotaku is sending people here, hence the higher traffic by new people.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06 am

PLEASE NOTE:

That NONE of the Craft Packs will work with an installed version of the GOG.com X-Wing: Alliance

This means

Darksabers Ultimate Craft Pack Version 2.1 (DSUCPv2.1.exe) or
X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Craft Pack Version 1.0 (XWAUCPv1.0.exe)

At the moment the installers only search CD-Rom/DvD-Drives for the original discs to extract file from and to the XWA Dir.
Therefore, if you don't have the discs in your drives the installer won't install.

I'll be working on solving this problem as soon as possible.

If I see any posts in the forums regarding the Craft Packs Not working with a GOG.com install, I'll refer them to this post.

PLEASE BE PATIENT!!!
- John Lydgate

Edrac
Recruit

Post by Edrac » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:20 pm

So I installed the ships via the individual exe files... Something about installing that many mods caused some sort of instability.

I played the first mission just fine. Got to the debrief and brief for the second mission fine. Goto load next mission, crash to desktop. Relaunch, launch 2nd mission just fine. Get to load 3rd mission, crash.

Uninstall the whole game, load up wide screen fix, play first 4 missions with base opts just fine.

d3adpool
Recruit

Post by d3adpool » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Installed craft pack for the GoG game version by just putting in my XWA 1 disc when installing the pack. Worked great.

Itkovian
Recruit

Post by Itkovian » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:16 pm

d3adpool wrote:Installed craft pack for the GoG game version by just putting in my XWA 1 disc when installing the pack. Worked great.
Is this confirmed?

I just got the GoG version and I DO have the disk version somewhere, so the ship pack will work if I just put the disk version in the drive? The pack will install itself to the gog version's XWA folder, and just take the data it needs from the CD?