First SW Standalone = "Rogue One"

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

First SW Standalone = "Rogue One"

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:02 pm

http://www.starwarsreport.com/2015/03/1 ... s-to-star/

I don't think there could've been better news about these movies. For a while they were saying the first standalone was going to be a bounty hunter movie, and the third standalone was going to be called "Red 5." Looks like things may have reversed a bit. This could lead the way for new X-Wing games within the next couple years, rather than in 2020.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:09 pm

if Rogue One indeed refers to the Leader of Rogue Squadron, I wonder when it will take place. In the movies Luke was Rogue Leader during the Battle of Hoth, that is the only time the term came up on Screen. "Rogue One" was never used.

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 am

I read something earlier where it could be a reference to Princess Leia, or the original "Rogue." But I doubt that it would reference to anything other than a starfighter pilot. Funny they used "Rogue One" instead of "Rogue Leader". I always liked the "Red 5" title.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:02 am

Well, Rogue Leader is already the title of a video game. I heard that the protagonist of the film is a woman. Was a woman ever Rogue One? I'd be fine if they added something, but if it rewrite existing lore it might rub me the wrong way.

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:44 pm

I've noticed a trend with Disney (since my daughter was born) with making movies that cater to girls. Typically, over the past decade I'd guess, rotate movies out each year making a princess movie, then boy movie, then princess movie, etc.

But recently I've noticed the Star Wars stuff has been led by a female cast. I've no problem with female roles at all, as that can make for interesting parts, I just hope they don't do it at the expense of a good story.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:26 pm

Tony Knightcrawler wrote: I heard that the protagonist of the film is a woman. Was a woman ever Rogue One?
NO.

Luke was the founder, then he passed the torch to Wedge, Wedge to Tycho, then Tycho to Gavin.

At no point. Ever. Was a woman leader of Rogue Squadron. Period.

F**** Disney

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Initially I got all excited when I heard the announcement. However I'm trying to not get my hopes up. Nothing is set in stone yet. I agree with Tuskin as well, "Rogue One" wasn't said on film, Rogue Leader was. Actually in all the battles its always "Red Leader" Gold Leader" etc. Rogue One could be the name of a ship, like Home One or Air Force One.

Still, I would love a Rogue Squadron film. If its not about Rogue Squadron I'm going to be disappointed.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/