Custom Hangars Hook: Potential is truly unlimited!

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Custom Hangars Hook: Potential is truly unlimited!

jawg_pawg
Recruit

Post by jawg_pawg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:42 pm

First of all, I'd like to say hi. I've been tinkering with my copy of X-Wing Alliance for years. All of XWAUpgrade's OPTs and a lot of custom/new ship OPTs are installed and very much loved. I don't know how to do any 3D modelling myself, and all the utilities on Darksaber's site just won't run on my Windows8 PC.

I create missions. And sometimes a mission needs a little something extra to make it stand out:

Yesterday morning I had an epiphany: I used an OPT in an older Imperial Hangar package from Darksaber's site: the object removed the hangar roof crane and replaces it with an invisible box just below the floor. I used the invisible box as the hangar OPT. Next, I modified the "HangarObjects.txt" file for a custom hangar and added the Rebel Platform as an "object" in the hangar and positioned it with much trial and error. The result was almost perfect. I was trying to give the impression that the platform itself was the hangar. Loading the Rebel Platform as the hangar OPT just didn't work. The problems like the position of the landing/take off shuttle may have been created by the fact that the model used as the hangar is just a tiny invisible box and not a large flat surface. (Check the screenshot)

I also have a question: how long could it take one of you OPT geniuses to create a large invisible box that is in essence a completely invisible hangar? Like I said when I introduced myslef, the opt editing tools on Darksaber's site just refuse to run on my PC. If they did run, it just take the original Totally Games hangar opt and make it invisible.

The modder who then decides to use a completely custom hangar can load ANY model from their flightmodels folder as an object in the hangar and make it look like that model itself is the hangar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 pm

Whoa! :shock:

That looks great! :D

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:55 pm

That is very cool. Certainly does open up a whole lot of new options. I can't help you with the opt, but hopefully some of the other guys will be able to help you out there.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

DTM

Post by DTM » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:10 pm

New WIP hangars and hangar elements are under construction. Many of us are experimenting different combinations of opts and backdrops to create various thake off and landing situations. Personally I don't want to show something unfinished, but I confirm that there are lot of possibilities!

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 am

Yep, I can verify DTM speaks the truth. ;-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:39 am

That's really awesome! Need to ttry myself!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:53 pm

I'll let you into a secret you have the right idea, but you don't need make any hangars invisible or use large or small invisible boxes, a custom hangar opt just needs to be at the same level as the original hangar.opt, and include all it's hangar hardpoints.

This is the reason the shuttle in your image is below the floor line! No matter how much you position the opt in HangarMap.txt the shuttle will more than likely be below the floor line unless you add the 3 Hardpoints to your custom hangar that are in the Hangar.opt

You can add, remove and replace any opt within the hangar as long as the opt file is in your flightmodels folder.

to replace the Hangar.opt you just need a line in the HangarObjects.txt that reads

Code: Select all

FlightModels\Hangar.opt = FlightModels\bugsbunny.opt
for example!

and this will replace the Hangar.opt

If I tell you any more I'll have to shoot you! But all you have to do is read all the documentation or look and read this thread Custom Hangars

We had to work it out ourselves I'm sure you can
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

jawg_pawg
Recruit

Post by jawg_pawg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:44 am

Thanks for your suggestion Darksaber: I have almost figured it out... I tried adding the hangar hardpoints to the rebel platform OPT, but alas, while it corrected the floor line, the hangar objects were placed at a wrong location in the OPT. when i imported the original TG hangar or the upgraded hangar into the rebel platform with Jeremy's opt editor (which i only just found...) it showed that the "center-point" of working hangars lined up with the "center-point" of where the rebel platform "hangar" was placing the objects.

i decided to add the hangar hardpoints to your old invisible box OPT and used the rebel platform as an object, and the result was perfect except for the fact that the rebel platform casts it's own shadow on itself...

i'm happy enough with this result for now... i will come back to this problem another time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 am

Looks great! :D

jawg_pawg
Recruit

Post by jawg_pawg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:56 am

Thanks, Oldcode!

Well, I'm a little OCD, so I couldn't just leave it for later anyway, so I fixed it and then got creative with it...

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 am

SWEET! :D

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 pm

That Frigate on the first screen is really cool. Would it be possible to place an entire fleet right outside the hangar?

jawg_pawg
Recruit

Post by jawg_pawg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 pm

You can put whatever you like outside the hangar

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks for the quick answer. Looks really great :D

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:00 pm

jawg_pawg wrote:

You can put whatever you like outside the hangar
Question: How? what was the process? That is fantastic!

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

jawg_pawg
Recruit

Post by jawg_pawg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Check the documentation for the custom hangars hook: it explains that XWA will now look in 3 locations for information about hangar configurations. hangar parameters preference is: (1) mission, (2) mothership, (3) default. the hangar hook comes with txt files with the details for the default hangar. all you then need to do is add whatever you like at the bottom, but don't get too carried away: there is a limit to the number of objects you can add. you can always remove something like a crate or workstand from the default items to make more room if you really need it, but adding too much just looks tacky...

The battle of endor hangar shown above is named "1b7m1w_HanagrMap.txt". it is in the "xwa\missions\" directory. it is identical to the default "hangarmap.txt" file that comes with the hangar hook but with extra entries at the bottom to add the Frigate, Corvette and Reef Home Cruiser.

I'm not going to tell you any more. it does involve some trial and error, but it's really not that hard to figure out, and it's more rewarding than if i just told you how to do it ;) (thanks to darksaber for pointing me in the right direction but not spoiling it for me. getting my rebel platform hangar working properly was quite satisfying!)

all the instructions on how to do this is included in the hangars hook documentation. check darksaber's post above: it links to the custom hangar documentation and a lot of discussion on how how it works.

baggy101
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by baggy101 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:36 am

How did you solve the shadow issue? I'm just trying to edit an asteroid hanger but replacing an object with a hangar results in shadows being cast across the floor and it looks pants.