The Force Awakens discussion thread (spoilers)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: The Force Awakens discussion thread (spoilers)

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Malachor and in a round about way Revan and the Exile are mentioned in the latest sourcebook which implies KOTOR era information is still valid since it doesn't effect the current direction the new canon. Prequel era books are still valid until otherwise overridden with new material. Pre-ANH books and beyond excluding the OT novelizations are scrapped to continue on from post ROTS through TFA and beyond..

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:23 am

Stupid question: is important to know what is valid and what is not more? They are good stories and continue to be good stories, even if someone tells me that they are just stories ...

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:16 pm

To me it's important in the sense that by reading those old stories or playing those old games I knew that I was learning more about the whole universe somehow. Now it's like a lot of knowledge I have only makes for cool tales but its not relevant to the main official story so even though they can't take away the fun I had with those stories, they took away the importance I gave to getting to know the universe better.
Like FunkyFreshMan said I also feel like I don't know the Universe that much anymore since I don't know what's official anymore.
But the real reason it bothered me was that the story and characters of Episode 7 and some stuff from Rebels (I don't watch that too much but it's the new canon right?) just don't seem good enough to me to replace the old stuff. If Episode 7 had been extremely mindblowingly amazing to me I'd feel it justifies rebooting the Expanded Universe, but I didn't think it was a good enough movie for such an extreme decision they made.
And I know maybe they don't mind, but I think it's kind of insulting to all the EU authors too, that just a few newbies are making the decision of saying it's all not-canon anymore, considering many EU writers made the effort to expand stories from other EU writers and not contradict each other.
On a side note here's some sort of relevant imput from Timothy Zahn: http://www.tor.com/2014/07/11/timothy-z ... rse-canon/
and https://www.facebook.com/TimothyZahn/po ... 4421871439

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Corrann Horn wrote:Malachor and in a round about way Revan and the Exile are mentioned in the latest sourcebook which implies KOTOR era information is still valid since it doesn't effect the current direction the new canon. Prequel era books are still valid until otherwise overridden with new material. Pre-ANH books and beyond excluding the OT novelizations are scrapped to continue on from post ROTS through TFA and beyond..
A transport inspired by the Hammerheads in KOTOR/SWTOR shows up in Rebels. It is a way smaller, but the colour scheme is the same.

The Official word from Lucasfilm regarding canon is anything that wasn't Clone Wars or the movies when they announced that change is not canon. However a lot of planets, companies, ship names character backgrounds have been brought back into canon since then. Some character too like Armand Isard, and Darth Plagious' droid.

really if you want to know what is canon check Wookieepedia those people can be fanatic when it comes to it.

Here is a Visual FX reel from the movie. Some the stuff that was CG surprises me. I couldn't even tell.

https://vimeo.com/151719063

When one of the X-wings is locked on by a Missile the tones sound like the SFX from the games.

FunkyFreshMan
Rebel Alliance

Post by FunkyFreshMan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 pm

You know, I was actually a little surprised how much stuff in that reel was...well...real. How much they pulled off with practical effects in a field that's known for its increasing use of CGI. I know going in they had decided they were going to do a lot more practical, but even so I was surprised to see all the stuff they actually took the time to make work.

Really, I think this film had almost the perfect mix of effects. Enough CGI to pull off those cool shots that you'd never be able to do practically, or would look really hokey if you tried, but not so much that it got unnecessarily over-the-top and looked CG (I'm looking at you, Battle of the Five Armies).
NRAF Nexus: "When Duty Calls"
Draar chayaikir batnor jetii—ancient Mandalorian proverb.
"We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!" —Jayne Cobb, Public Relations
I'm the guy who stole your sweetroll.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:43 am

Alright, let's stirr up the shit a little.

So, according to teh film, Kylo Ren is Ben Solo, Han and Leia's son. When I saw the first images of him without the mask I couldn't help but think of somebody totally different. And now look what came along in the recent SW: Rebels trailer ...

Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:05 am

Eh... Some are speculating that Rey is the daughter of Ezra and the mandalorian girl, Sabine... While at that, if they are still alive at the time of TFA, they would be Luke's age, Sabine might even be a bit older...
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

SirBrass
Recruit

Post by SirBrass » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 am

My personal theory is that Rey is the kid of one of Luke's students who was then hunted down by Kylo Ren.

FunkyFreshMan
Rebel Alliance

Post by FunkyFreshMan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:37 am

Nah, guys. Ezra totally becomes Supreme Leader Snoke. Didn't you catch all that "he's drawn to the Dark Side" stuff from the latest Rebels trailer? Ezra gets a crossguard lightsaber, falls to the Dark Side, becomes Snoke, then teaches Ren how to make a crossguard lightsaber. Makes perfect sense to me. ;)

Really, though, I kind of doubt they'll be putting too much from Rebels into the movies' main plot simply for the same reason that they couldn't turn the old EU books into movies. Not everybody follows the stuff outside the movies, so if the big reveal ends up being Rey is Ezra's kid or something else related to the show, there are going to be a lot of movie-goers scratching their heads in confusion. But I'm just speculating here and I could end up being completely wrong. Who knows? :P

Also, it looks like the Quasar Fire-class is being brought back into canon, not to mention those Hammerhead-ish things.
QF.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm

With some Minor Differences, it isn't one big Hanger, and I think the hangers have entrances on both sides.

That Rebels trailer was pretty awesome, but this isn't the thread for this heh.

Though I wonder if that planet where Ezra finds the Crossguard saber is Malachor. The Visual Dictionary does say the saber design dates back to the 'Great Scurge of Malachor'

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Definitely some world strong in the darkside. Filoni states that the Sith would like it there.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:19 am

Those cruisers are clearly an Old Republic design, the engines are in a different configuration than the KOTOR-era or SWTOR-era but it's clearly come from the same shipyard.

I also saw Sabine fighting a Kinrath.

There's a lot of BIOWARE stuff in that trailer - and I like the redesign of the Quasar-Class, it's more sensible, the old design was paper-flimsy.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Best quote ever:
Luke-Skywalker-Zitat.jpg
I see that one going far, like >_>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FunkyFreshMan
Rebel Alliance

Post by FunkyFreshMan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:23 pm

My favorite quote of the entire saga. It's applicable to so many different situations. I find myself using on a daily basis, often multiple times a day! XD

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:08 pm

Here's a question - if Leia is in Rebels how old is she supposed to be. They retconned her age from 18 to 19 during ANH but she can't be more than 14 or 15.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:13 pm

The official site somewhere stated the episode takes place 3 BBY. So she's around 16 in Rebels.

I love the new Quasar Fire Carrier. The new design makes much more sense imo.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:04 pm

3 BBY, really?

I could have sworn it was set 5 BBY.

They're going to have to kill Kainan soon, then.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:01 pm

BattleDog wrote:3 BBY, really?

I could have sworn it was set 5 BBY.
That's the info I have as well, from articles before the series started... Regarding ages, in one episode from season 1 it's stablished that Ezra was born the day Palpatine declared the end of the Republic, "fifteen years ago", so he's the same age of Luke and Leia who I always understood were twenty by the time of ANH... :?
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:14 am

Pre Episode I or possibly Episode III Luke and Leia were canonically 18 during ANH - now they are 19.

I personally think Ezra looks 14 in series one and roughly the same in series two. Sabine is, I think, 16 and she's taller than him (and we assume adult size).

In any case, I suppose it makes a bit more sense for him to be older, but if that's the case he's going to need to have a growth spurt between seasons two and three or he'll start looking like a midget.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:28 pm

BattleDog wrote: In any case, I suppose it makes a bit more sense for him to be older, but if that's the case he's going to need to have a growth spurt between seasons two and three or he'll start looking like a midget.
It sounds like they're going to be doing a time jump. Freddie Prinze said they're aging up Ezra for next season, and Ezra's actor as said they're asking him to deepen his voice.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:47 am

Makes sense, seeing as they did the same with TCW. Think it was from Season 4, when Ahsoka got older and Anakin/Obi-Wan were adjusted to look more to the way they were in EpIII.

I'm fairly curious where all the darkside aspects around Ezra are gonna take the story. Seeing him with a Sith holocron and kneeling in front of an aged Darth Maul raised quite some questions.

In fact I've seen theories (tho loose ones) that he could be (or rather turn into) the bad guy played by Benicio DelTorro in Ep8.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Well, I finnally saw Ep7 2 weeks ago, one of the last showings, I just thought "bugger it, im off to the cinema" :)

I have to say, I am very impressed with the film. There are a number of things stated on here that I dont follow having now seen the film, could just be different perspectives, or because I was looking for those things, other bits of the story came out.

Also, the soundtrack is good. I think I may have slated it before, however thats because it turns out the soundtrack I heard before christmas wasnt the soundtrack, it was only bits of it...
Bad move by Disney as instead of saying, wow, Ill buy that, I ended up saying, thats rubbish...

Recently people have uploaded the CD and now I love it, Im going to buy it.

One thing off the top of my head was people couldnt understand why R2 woke up... isnt it because of Ray? The same reason she sees things in Anakins Lightsaber?
As R2 sat there either R2 somehow can scan for the force, or she unwittingly used the force on him, and he woke up in her presence (though not imediatly).

Ben Solo is definatly the EU Anakin Solo with a name change so they dont have to tie in exactly.

Hans death is a bit... long... either han should have stopped the saber in the position and slowness of the action or Ben should have decided quickly and done it without prolonging it.

Overall I loved the story.

Another top of my head thing was someone critisised why R2 had the map all along...
He didnt, BB8 had the missing peice which was hidden by the guy at the beggining of the film.

The First order had the rest of the map too, both sides lacked the final part, the resistance got it though.

One graphical anomally, though I see why they did it for effect and clarity, was that the map actually had a hole in it...
Its not that the resistence or first order didnt know what was in that sector, its that neither had the trace of lukes ship for that sector.

Trev

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:19 pm

According to Abrams, Artoo woke up because BB-8 told him he was there with the rest of the map when they "meet" before the attack on Starkiller Base. It just took him all that time to wake up again.

Ben Solo also probably owes more to Jacen than to Anakin.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:30 am

The Sound FX when Poe is firing his torpedoes inside the oscillator sounds so familiar, I can't place it. I think it is from another Star Wars production.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Can't remember that sound ... I need to watch it again on Blu-ray.
Well, I was gonna do that anyway.
Several times.
in a row.

:shock: