A few new OPTs

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

A few new OPTs

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:27 am

I've made a few new OPTs for XWA using models I ported from Star Wars Galaxies, Kinect and Warp Null's EAW models. I'm pretty new at this and they could definitely be improved as I had to convert the textures to 256 colors to get them to work and thus some are VERY ugly. Maybe there's a better way than just using paint to do it.

Also I haven't included .shp files as honestly I don't know what their stats should be balance-wise and I just copied similar ships.

Arquitens-class Imperial Light Crusier from Star Wars Rebels:
http://imgur.com/y9UiR31

ATL Interceptor for the vintage Droids toyline:
http://imgur.com/XUvkite

Gozanti-class Imperial Freighter from Rebels:
http://imgur.com/OQhsGHK

Bossk's Hound's Tooth:
http://imgur.com/OZyhsj9

Kihraxz Interceptor from SWG and X-Wing Miniatures:
http://imgur.com/fzB6DXa

Scyk Interceptor from SWG and X-Wing Minis:
http://imgur.com/JiSkPlU

VT-49 Decimator from the same as above:
http://imgur.com/RAmP6wF

Download link is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LH-6 ... sp=sharing

I also made a few extra canon ships - the TIE Shuttle, TIE Punisher\Interdictor, 181st TIE Interceptor and Royal Guard Interceptor, as well as a TIE variant based on the original Kenner toy, but they are kitbashes of Darksaber's models and I don't want to release them without his consent.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:48 am

Gimp is free, and gives you pretty much all the functionality of Adobe Photoshop. Plus it's open source and all sorts of fun tools and utilities have been developed for it. You'll get a MUCH better conversion to 8-bit color files with it.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:26 am

Very nice ships. If you need a place, I would like to host them at my site...

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:40 pm

DTM wrote:Very nice ships. If you need a place, I would like to host them at my site...
Sure, I wouldn't mind! I may want to work the kinks out of them first, though, as they're far from perfect. The Kihraxz in particular is really messed up and I need to fix it before I'd want that one on the site.

The Gozanti, Arquitens, VT-49 and Kylo Ren's Shuttle all seem good enough to me, though, so if you want to host those, go ahead.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Oh gosh. I don't believe it.

The VT-49 Decimator. Thank you so much for this, the Decimator was one of my absolute favorite ships in SWG. You don't happen to have the Nova Courier or TIE Oppressor by any chance? :D

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Jaeven wrote:Oh gosh. I don't believe it.

The VT-49 Decimator. Thank you so much for this, the Decimator was one of my absolute favorite ships in SWG. You don't happen to have the Nova Courier or TIE Oppressor by any chance? :D
I haven't made those, no. Basically my goal is to make all the ships from the X-Wing Miniatures game playable in XWA.

So that basically means:
*The Ghost + Phantom (WIP)
*K-Wing Bomber (The existing K-Wing opt only has a passing resemblance to the miniature. The mesh I have from EAW is more accurate but doesn't look so good though)
*VT-49 Decimator (complete)
*Gozanti-class Imperial Carrier (complete)
*Kihraxz Fighter (WIP)
*Scyk Interceptor (WIP)
*Hound's Tooth (WIP)
*Punishing One (WIP)
*Mist Hunter (Not started)

The following ships are complete, but since they are recolors \ kitbashes of existing XWAU ships, I don't want to release them w/o permission:
*TIE Punisher
*181st TIE Interceptor
*Royal Guard TIE Interceptor
*B-Wing E2 (in Dagger Squadron colors)

From there, I'd really like to make a TIE Scout from EAW \ the CCG, but I'll have to do more modding than simply porting it over as the model looks kinda bad.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Gammatron wrote:
Jaeven wrote:Oh gosh. I don't believe it.

I haven't made those, no. Basically my goal is to make all the ships from the X-Wing Miniatures game playable in XWA.

So that basically means:
*The Ghost + Phantom (WIP)
*K-Wing Bomber (The existing K-Wing opt only has a passing resemblance to the miniature. The mesh I have from EAW is more accurate but doesn't look so good though)
*VT-49 Decimator (complete)
*Gozanti-class Imperial Carrier (complete)
*Kihraxz Fighter (WIP)
*Scyk Interceptor (WIP)
*Hound's Tooth (WIP)
*Punishing One (WIP)
*Mist Hunter (Not started)

The following ships are complete, but since they are recolors \ kitbashes of existing XWAU ships, I don't want to release them w/o permission:
*TIE Punisher
*181st TIE Interceptor
*Royal Guard TIE Interceptor
*B-Wing E2 (in Dagger Squadron colors)

From there, I'd really like to make a TIE Scout from EAW \ the CCG, but I'll have to do more modding than simply porting it over as the model looks kinda bad.
Ahh, I see. Looking forward to pretty much all of them!

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

Cool. I for one am happy to see some of the SWG ships. Though, admittedly I would also like to see the Nova Courier at some point also.

Another option for texture conversion tools besides Gimp, which is free and works fine, is CorelPaintShop Pro. It's like $50 bucks for a license and (for me) easier to use than Gimp.

What are your future plans for this project? Are you intending to do cockpits down the road?

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Corrann Horn wrote:Cool. I for one am happy to see some of the SWG ships. Though, admittedly I would also like to see the Nova Courier at some point also.

Another option for texture conversion tools besides Gimp, which is free and works fine, is CorelPaintShop Pro. It's like $50 bucks for a license and (for me) easier to use than Gimp.

What are your future plans for this project? Are you intending to do cockpits down the road?
Unfortunately no, I don't have a lot of skill doing 3D modelling, admittedly. I'm just doing my best to port over existing meshes.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:20 am

Fair enough. I have very little ability in that area also. That being said, if I get the itch to mess around with 3d again, mind if I try and make some cockpits utilizing bits and pieces of your models for a base to fiddle with?

The VT49, Syck, and Kihraxz could be within my limited skill level to figure out something potentially better than the default cockpit, but I'm not sure.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:07 am

Gammatron, if you use a paint program like GIMP to resize the images, they should be in standard 2^x power. So 512x512 or 1024 x 1024 texture resolution is the max norm if you're using Jeremy's texture patch. Technically I think he said up to 4096x4096. Memory intensive.

You might try this trick: Keep your native 32-bit hi-res color pictures, preferably in .png format but .bmp if fine too. Using Jeremy's editor you can import textures and apply to faces of a mesh. Right-click or click on the "Replace with" button of an individual existing texture, browse to new image and select it. When uploaded, it will say 32-bit in last column. Continue the process until you are done importing one by one.

Next, click "generate mipmaps". It will also force any existing 8-bit textures to become 32-bit, but you won't tell a difference. Or just the convert all to "32-bit" button. When everything listed is 32-bit, the click the Convert All to: "8-bit" button. You will get a Warning popup box saying someting like "color loss may result, continue ?", Yes. This will convert all current textures to 8-bit color which the standard game will use. (Unless you want to keep all .opt models your flightmodels folder in 32-bit textures which is superior, but illumination is missing a/t/m).

I've played a little bit with Jeremy's XWA Opt Editor. The way he wrote the code seems superior in my opinion of converting 32-bit textures on a model to 8-bit without losing much quality. In m/h/o, I think his editor is better than any paint program out there to convert existing images to 8-bit color. One caveat though, is you might not be able to edit the model in Optech. Hard to say. Start with a cube, and put a 8-bit images on each face. Then test this by replacing each face with a hi-res photo (32-bit) you take with your cell phone or some other image on your PC. Then convert the photo quality images to 8-bit color in Jeremy's editor and see how much quality is lost. Save as different .opt model name.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 am

I've actually been using GIMP. I convert the textures to index 256 color pngs then import them into Jeremy's XWA Opt Editor. Then I convert them to 8-bit mipmaps. It checks out fine and they show up fine in the tech screen, but when I try to use them in the skirmish mode, they crash the game.

I'll release my textures shortly and see if anyone has any more luck than I do. I have a much improve Ghost and K-Wing on the way.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 am

That seems redundant, you might be dumbing down the image quality. I could be wrong, but try my method if you read my entire post. Won't hurt to experiment. Something else is more likely wrong with your model(s) than the textures, unless you have image sizes that aren't appropriate.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 am

Very nice ships!! I'm really interested in these. Btw I use irfanview to convert textures to 256 colors

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Hey guys!

I haven't had time to work on my models during the week, but here's the Ghost, ripped from Pinball FX2! Sadly the textures look like ass and I haven't fixed them yet. I'll have the Phantom coming out soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LH-6 ... sp=sharing

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Very Cool! Thank you very much! I can't wait to try them in-game!
EDIT
ok put some of them in with mxvted but the ghost and the imperial light cruiser are displaying really weird in the ship viewer with parts of the ship disappearing and artifacts and stretching in the view.... anyone else have this?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:40 am

Haven't gotten that far yet, I only installed the Hutt fighters and the Decimator at the moment.

DTM

Post by DTM » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:33 am

According to Gammatron, I'm working on some changes on spaceships he converted. My first objective is to improve the texture of the spaceships featured in "Rebels". Now I'm working on Aquitens, then Gozanti and Ghost. If Gammatron will agree with the changes, soon I will upload a new version of the ships on my site.

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Drinkinmiester wrote:Very Cool! Thank you very much! I can't wait to try them in-game!
EDIT
ok put some of them in with mxvted but the ghost and the imperial light cruiser are displaying really weird in the ship viewer with parts of the ship disappearing and artifacts and stretching in the view.... anyone else have this?
Weird... hasn't done that to me. Can you post a screenshot?

I guess this thread is kind of a "beta test" before I release them "for real."
DTM wrote:According to Gammatron, I'm working on some changes on spaceships he converted. My first objective is to improve the texture of the spaceships featured in "Rebels". Now I'm working on Aquitens, then Gozanti and Ghost. If Gammatron will agree with the changes, soon I will upload a new version of the ships on my site.
Definitely, man! I appreciate it. When you're ready, post 'em here and we'll see how they turn out. You got the newer ghost model that includes the Phantom, right?

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:30 am

Cool, sounds like good news then.

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:27 pm

What I did:
- Resized the dxf model 150%. According to my informations, Arquitens is 200-250 m lenght.
- I've rendered the existing model to split the large textures in new 256 pixel textures.
- Added background pattern to the hull and some dirty details
- Added Flightgroup Colours
- Re-opted it

It was a very well made model. It was easy to upgrade the opt!
You can find the new opt at my site.
I hope you like it!

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:48 am

DTM wrote:

What I did:
- Resized the dxf model 150%. According to my informations, Arquitens is 200-250 m lenght.
- I've rendered the existing model to split the large textures in new 256 pixel textures.
- Added background pattern to the hull and some dirty details
- Added Flightgroup Colours
- Re-opted it

It was a very well made model. It was easy to upgrade the opt!
You can find the new opt at my site.
I hope you like it!
Wow I love it!

Just one thing is missing: we should also give credit to Barraganap from facepunch.com as he created the original mesh. I forgot to credit him in my original post and that's my bad as I thought Warb Null made it.

Likewise, if we upload Kylo Ren's Shuttle, ATL Interceptor and the Gozanti-class, we should give credit to Warb Null, please. These models are freely usable but I would like to give credit where it's due as it is common courtesy.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the meshes I uploaded come from official sources, though. The VT-49, Khiraxz and Scyk are all directly ripped from SWG, the Hound's Tooth is from Star Wars Kinect, and the Ghost + Phantom are from Pinball FX2.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Awesome! On the way to DTM's now! Excellent work all around! BTW where do I install the map .bmp at?

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:45 pm

Just a quick note for in case anyone else was dumb like I was, the issues I was having viewing some of the OPTs like the ghost came from not having applied Jeremyfr's .exe patches, I applied them and they look fine now!

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Great! Thank you!!!
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online