X-wing Alliance VR?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

X-wing Alliance VR?

kr1z
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by kr1z » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:42 pm

All Steam games wil be VR i heard.
So, does that mean we wil be able to look around in the cockpit?
That would be awsesome.

Edit : So it turns out its just a Theatre Mode (big screen sim)

But still ; now that VR is gonna be a thing, are there in any way plans somewhere to make a VR experience for XWA?
Havent seen anything yet; (googled: xwing vr)

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:29 pm

There is a Rift demo thing of something I am coding...

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... =1&t=11188

kr1z
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by kr1z » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Cool :)

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Someone got TrackIR to work for XWA, and we can do custom resolutions. So I'm not going to say it's impossible. That said, TrackIR support was re-using mouse-look from the stock game, which is 2DoF, and VR supports 6DoF. So something new would need to happen. Warping the screen would probably have to be done in post-processing, somehow, which might add to latency, which could be bad. But my assumption is there's a good tool for that.

kr1z
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by kr1z » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Sounds promising.
So a 15 year old game is ganna be the VR set systemseller for me ;)

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I can say that *if* someone does figure it (including 6DoF support) out, there won't be much chance of functionality to keep your head from passing through objects.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:10 am

To be honest, 2dof is better than nothing.
You could set a really wide resolution and high FOV angle then as someone stated above, post-process the output into the VR headset.

Alternativly you can get 'some' 6dof by taking the output and sphere-mapping it.

Then you could move your head within the sphere (1m dia) and see a slightly different perspective. However people should also remember that XWA is not 3D, you would need to tack some frame switching code to render 1 frame where it is, then 1 frame 5cm to the right/left and keep switching.
The post-process would need to frame double to each eye, again sphere-mapped.

However, I would not suggest 6dof with 3d as it will look wrong as soon as you move, 3D would be 2dof only, which I think would be fine anyway.

Trev

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Just thought of something else with 6DoF. The cockpits would need to be slightly reworked to have the targeting reticle added in. This is because the HUD would be stuck to your view wherever you are, and would only line up with where you are supposed to shoot when you were perfectly centered in your seat, or right after you recenter. Even when people think they are centered, they usually have drifted a few CM at least. By putting a texture on the canopy, you would know your shots are going where you think they should if you line both reticles up with each other. It'd be like a 3DS reticle. Pretty cool, and it would make the game a little harder.

But yeah, 2DoF is better than nothing. 3DoF would probably be worse than 2DoF, for what it is worth.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 am

Actually, you wouldnt have that 'problem', but instead an in-accuriacy.

The target would be stuck to the front and therefor would hit anything directly under the dot, the inaccuriacy comes from the fact that as perseptive beings, we would assume a line from where we are through the dot to a target and then be wrong.
Its showing more and more that 6dof just wouldnt work.

You can imagin the 6dof scenario as having a ball of monitors around your head. All the pictures are flat and to take the center monitor as example, it would be no different to how you currently play. You can move your head side-to-side and the target will not change.
The difference is that instead of having a physical ball of monitors, you are encased in a virtual ball.

At least 2dof would let you snap your head round to see around you without the delay and hand co-ordination of using the mouse.

Trev

kr1z
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by kr1z » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:59 am

FBK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by FBK » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:54 am

I have managed to play XWA +upgrades in VR mode using Smartphone + vr glasses device + Trinus gyre app, but...

The problem that I have is a bit laggy if the image quality is good enough to play.

When I decrease the quality It moves smoothly but the quality is very poor and impossible to play.

I will try using diferent setup and using moonlight + nvidia gamestream, lets see what happens.

Has anyone tested using Primax 4K device? (http://en.pimaxvr.com/ 340$)

This a chinnesse "copy" & compatible with oculus rift

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Wow, yeah, Id love to see a vid with the mouse/scroll lock thing as just now the vid only shows a rotation within fixed screen.

Also, Ideally you need to increase the FOV to match what you can see at the edges of the screen. i.e. the edges seem to be 90 degrees but I believe the default game is about 60

Trev