Rogue One Trailer dropped

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Rogue One Trailer dropped

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:52 pm

https://youtu.be/Wji-BZ0oCwg

So, yeah.

I saw "real" X-wings and AT-AT's.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:26 am

They tried WAY too hard to make the female lead look like an edgy anti-hero. Between the voiceover, Mon Mothma's line about her being on her home since she was a child, and the whole "We're Rebels so I rebel," thing, it's like they're beating us over the head with "Look at me! I'm tough and not a girly-girl!"

TBH, I was most impressed by the makeup work on Mon Mothma.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:54 am

The actress playing Mon Mothma is the same one from the ROTS deleted scene from what I read.

Also, the Star Destroyer was a Imperial-I Class (according to the new canon anyways), like the one in ANH, nice throwback.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:00 am

And another movie about the death star. Lol. It would be nice to see the character "Kyle Katan" have a minor role in this film... since he helped steal and deliver the DS plans according to D.F. games. Legacy EU timeline, i know.

Tuskin, you're right. It's the Mark I, and the comm. array is just like the Devastator's in ANH. Looking forward to seeing this film. Saw a vice-admiral in there too, but it's not Thrawn.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:24 am

I was happy to see the classic Imperator I-class Star Destroyer from ANH. And yeah that AT-AT shot gave me goosebumps :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 am

I like how the AT-AT isn't the ESB design, some sort of earlier version.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:50 pm

I have to say, I thought they matched the style of ANH very well. I get why they have Mon Mothma in it, and it's cool to canonically establish her as the leader of the rebellion before RotJ but it felt a bit OTT to have her in the RotJ outfit.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Same planet landscapes. Same AT-ATs. Same stormtroopers. Same x-wings. Same Death Star.
I don't care if it takes place before Episode 4, I just wish they made something new, like the prequels did. I know there's that black armored stormtrooper (droid?) and some "new" characters but it's not enough for me. I assume that anything new in the movie would have been shown in the trailer. The main character seems interesting but I still can't accept that Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors and Mara Jade never existed.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 pm

We've never had a tropic planet before :P

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:49 pm

Yavin IV is tropic.

Trailer looks good, though don't like the change of "history" and erasure of long established characters in game and novel mediums due to "creative license" bullshit justification.

Tired of female leads in movies in general lately especially in this particular plot context given the above. Though, I would have been thrilled if this was a movie from Jan Ors perspective about Kyle's involvement with stealing the Death Star Plans, but it's Disney and they only seem to make feminist leaning movies.

I like strong women, but FFS it gets old being beaten over the head with the archetype, especially when the strong male role is often looked down upon or stereotyped so heavily that I find it distasteful. Either that or that men are stupid and are mocked heavily by the female characters. Seems all I see in multimedia these days.

But enough of that.

The movie looks like it has promise in spite of my gripes and concerns, and I hope to enjoy it.

I'm reading Heir to the Jedi which is one of the few books included in the new canon at this point and I'm enjoying that so far so I'm trying to temper my bitterness with hope that even though much of what we know is flushed, the new stuff will live up to the past background if not surpass it.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Something I realized just now is that the female lead's name, "Jyn Erso", does at least have some similarity to the original Jan Ors ....

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Yeah, what Corrann Horn said. It looks interesting but I would be 10x more excited if it was Jan Ors or maybe Bria Tharen or something. The should have certainly used the canon reset to trim some fat but also abandoned a lot of good stories too

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:00 pm

@Tuskin Well the palm trees make it look new compared to other planets from the movies, you are right, but it's still kind of like the Kashyyyk beach in Ep 3 :­p I wanted more unique and weird planets like the prequel trilogy ones.

Yah the name of the character is totally based on Jan Ors. I don't know much about the plot here but it seems she's more like Kyle Katarn than Jan Ors, right?
Some people are guessing she will be Luke's wife but others think that Aphra girl from the comics will replace Mara Jade.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm never going to be happy that they reset the canon. At first, I thought it'd be good. It's the only way to trash the bad stories without individually singling out authors who did a bad job. For instance, Forces of Corruption had an extremely Gary Stu-led story, where their "references" actually came off as insulting to older canon. But the game itself (balance issues aside) was quite good. The Force Unleashed 2 should never have happened... at least, in the way it did. Should have starred Marris Brood (and, in my head-canon, Arden Lyn, with the final mission being a team-up against Palpatine in Zarin's failed attempt to capture the Emperor) instead of doing that "clone Marek" garbage. Then there's Darth Krayt, and later the "Imperial Alliance" and "Galactic Rebellion" or whatever crap they did in the Legacy era... A lot of the older stuff - like some of the Marvel comics - wasn't very good either.

I figured they were gonna sweep everything and then slowly reintroduce the good canon. But... that didn't happen, did it? They completely threw out The Force Unleashed 1 (which had a surprisingly good story), and now the Project Shantipole origin of the B-Wing and I think the A-Wing too. Now with Rogue One, they are throwing out at least part of Dark Forces, as well. I've seen some people say that maybe we are mis-hearing "Jyn," and her name is really "Jan Ors," but no matter how many times I watch it or look at the printed name in the official subtitles, I don't hear or see Jan Ors. Maybe it's a "Blue Harvest" or "Obi-Wan killed your father" type stunt, and her name in the actual film will be different, but I doubt that. Besides, if they meant it to be Jan Ors, they probably would have cast someone of Asian descent, because of her appearance in all the Dark Forces games after DF1.

As for the complaints of Jyn being a woman... I can't see that complaint as mature in any way. Sorry, guys. Up until recently, nearly every single Star Wars protagonist and strong, action-y supporting character has been a white male human. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin Skywalker, Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, Galen Marek, Maarek Stele (?), Keyan Farlander, Rookie One (although in the first game you could choose its sex, it was canonized to a male in the second game), Tyber Zann... not sure I need to go on. Seriously, what are the chances of that in a galaxy with billions of star systems and thousands of sentient species? We could never get another white male human protagonist again, and we'd still have disproportionately many. A lot of people think that women can't kick ass, but that's bollocks. Literally the buffest person I've known was my high school gym teacher, who was a competitive body builder... and a woman. When I was a kid, the sensei I had in karate for the longest period of time was a woman, and her daughter and son were also really good. If you think "Okay, then why do girls in action movies not have much muscle mass," I'd point out that neither do many males in action movies, AND that in our culture we look down on muscular women. So it'd be unfair to ask an actress to sabotage her career by putting on muscle.

And then you should keep in mind that one of the main themes of the movie is building self-reliance. The original teaser trailer had the clip from Obi-Wan *not* to tell us to expect Jedi Knights, but in fact quite the opposite. That clip is there to contrast the current state of the galaxy from the Republic era; in this galaxy, there are no Jedis or clone armies to protect you. The people of the Empire have to accept the responsibility of fighting for themselves. Like it or not, that mirrors quite well the predicament many woman find themselves in in our society.

You guys also should keep in mind that she is part of a team... and - in fact - the only female we've seen on the team. Everyone else is a male. Or a combat droid (which is awesome!). After a quick look, it seems that Donnie Yen is a martial artist, and we haven't had enough martial arts movies in this generation of films. Okay, sure, it's not quite the same watching a martial artist punch a bunch of non-martial artist stuntmen (which is what I expect), but it's better than nothing! If the old canon was still in place, I'd be excited to see a modern take on Teräs Käsi. But... well... that doesn't exist anymore. Still, martial arts is martial arts, so I'm looking forward to that, too. Not a big fan of the cartoon-ish "thwack" sound effects in the trailer, though.

Mon Mothma's new actress is spot-on as usual; glad she finally will get some screen time after being cut from Episode III.

On a less positive note, I've also got to point out that introducing stormtroopers with black-colored armor puts another nail in the Dark Forces coffin. :(

While I am sad that they are removing Dark Forces (or at least part of it) from canon, I am really looking forward to this movie. It looks like it'll have a grittier style that our community should enjoy (from our enjoyment of the military-oriented X-Wing series). I am going to be soooo glad to see a movie without Jedi; one about real people with a real fear of death. Sure the main Star Wars story is often a black-and-white, good-versus-evil story, but Star Wars as a franchise gains additional depth when it acknowledges that sometimes things aren't so clear-cut.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Hmmmm, I just watched an interesting feature video from a german PC game magazine.

Truth is, if you take the entirety of all official Star Wars games, there are at least 3 actual stories on how the Rebels got the death star plans or heard of the death star in the first place

- X-Wing: Rebels learn of the Death Star's existence after rescuing an informant from Star's End
- The Force Unleashed: Rebel leaders are held captive aboard the unfinished Death Star
- Empire at War: Han Solo helps the Alliance discover DS blueprints from a station orbiting Corulag (though those don't reveal the weak spot)
- Dark Forces: Kyle Katarn steals the complete plans from a base on Danuta
- Battlefront 2: The 501st has to retrieve Death Star plans from Polis Massa, after they had been stolen during a jailbreak aboard the Death Star
- Fatal Alliance (mobile game): Riana Sarren steals the plans right from the WIP death star

Sooooo, flame me for saying this, but disney has a poit.....

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Ehhh, I dunno about them having a point. Though I suppose there's a precedent for acquiring the information, or parts of the plans through various sources. Especially since there's Bria Tharen's involvement on Toprawa that Red Hand squad was wiped out in trying to upload the plans to the comm net there and beam it to Tantive IV. Which happened right before EPIV.

Thinking about it, realistically there'd have to be multiple attempts through a number of channels to obtain the information since the likely hood of any one of them being intercepted and the mission failing were incredibly likely, would increase the chances needed to successfully complete the mission given how critical this information was.

Plus since the project was heavily compartmentalized, the information from any given source would likely only be a small chunk of data needed to make up the larger picture.

I guess that for our purposes would at least give us the freedom to include what parts of the "Legends" EU we deem appropriate intact and equally valid where they don't utterly conflict with the new fluff and flip Disney the bird where we can.

More to ponder I guess.

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:24 am

Whoa @General Trageton, that actually made me feel a bit better about how they rebooted the canon :O I didn't know they had so many inconsistencies about this topic. Or are they somehow loosely retconned?

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:56 am

Empire at War tried to fix it by stating the plans were broken up into several pieces.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_plans/Legends

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:50 am

This talk reminds me of the continuity issues with the theft of the Tydirium. Only 2 games have depicted that event, XWA of course and Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader. I read that Leland Chee (no idea who that is) said that the events of XWA took place first, with Ace and the commandos stealing the "codes", then in Rogue Squadron 2 it was Wedge who stole the shuttle.

So I guess Ace dropped off the commandos and had them evade TIE Bombers in a phantom shuttle then? Clearly they stole the shuttle in XWA. :?
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Leland Chee was the 'holocron keeper' before Disney came along.

He maintained LucasFilms database of every Star Wars, Canon and EU.

Hes now part of the 'LucasFilm Story Group' which is suppose to be doing the same thing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leland_Chee

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Yeah, and don't forget the Farlander Papers that I mentioned, Vince. The last game is called Lethal Alliance.

As I said, the old canon was getting to the point where retconning was beyond rationale, but if Rebels is part of it conflicts with the movie, that means Disney already messed things up, despite there being only a few canon stories now. Because Rebels is clearly part of the new canon.

But yeah, while the old canon was messed up, it also had some great stuff that made it worthwhile.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:11 pm

I still can't wrap my head around them renaming the old Corellian Corvette into Alderaan Cruiser ....

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:14 am

Did they, seriously? *Sigh*

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:16 am

Wait, what?

Wookieepedia seems to think it's just a slang term: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CR90_corvette

Mind you, the A-Wing is apparently manufactured by Kuat now, so.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:01 am

I hate these name changes as well :( I hope it's just "slang" like you say @BattleDog. Otherwise the next victim will surely be the Slave 1, I wonder what stupid name they pick for that classic.