Rogue One Trailer dropped

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Rogue One Trailer dropped

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:43 pm

The movie looks neat. I like that it has Mon Mothma in it and she's the same actress from ROTS. I hope Palpatine and Tarkin have cameos at least. I'd also really love to see Jimmy Smitts return as Bail Organa.

I'm getting a very Dark Forces vibe from it. There's a character who resembles Kyle Katarn and the protagonist seems like not-Jan Ors.

I'm not sure if these new movies are purposefully taking inspiration from the old EU or if it's just a coincidence and they're just winding up with a lot of the same ideas. i.e. Kylo Ren is practically the exact same character as Jacen Solo, just with a different name.

Also, judging from a poster, Vader will likely show up in it. Which makes sense, given that James Earl Jones voiced him in the Rebels cartoon. Hopefully they can get Ian McDiarmid and Jimmy Smitts, too. And maybe they could put makeup on Scorpius from Farscape again to make him look like Tarkin in ROTS.

baggy101
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by baggy101 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:26 am

Someone better mention skyhook during the movie and that better be Grand Admiral Wullf Yularen

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 pm

General_Trageton wrote:Hmmmm, I just watched an interesting feature video from a german PC game magazine.

Truth is, if you take the entirety of all official Star Wars games, there are at least 3 actual stories on how the Rebels got the death star plans or heard of the death star in the first place

- X-Wing: Rebels learn of the Death Star's existence after rescuing an informant from Star's End
- The Force Unleashed: Rebel leaders are held captive aboard the unfinished Death Star
- Empire at War: Han Solo helps the Alliance discover DS blueprints from a station orbiting Corulag (though those don't reveal the weak spot)
- Dark Forces: Kyle Katarn steals the complete plans from a base on Danuta
- Battlefront 2: The 501st has to retrieve Death Star plans from Polis Massa, after they had been stolen during a jailbreak aboard the Death Star
- Fatal Alliance (mobile game): Riana Sarren steals the plans right from the WIP death star

Sooooo, flame me for saying this, but disney has a poit.....
Also, the Rebels used a modified Comsat in X-Wing to intercept and redirect Imperial Transmissions, the DS plans were picked up by a listening post in the Cron Drift and then sent via courier to the Rebels - irrc Biggs flew the courier X-Wing.

And all that is JUST the games - there are still more explanations in the EU novels.

So, really, it makes a certain amount of sense to junk the Canon and then gradually add bits back in. It's a shame Kyle Katarn and Starkiller are likely to be casualties but overall I think it may be for the best.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:10 pm

baggy101 wrote:Someone better mention skyhook during the movie and that better be Grand Admiral Wullf Yularen
Who?

Yularen was an ISB Colonel - not a Grand Admiral. The ISB tunic off-white is white, which is different to the all-white Grand Admiral Uniform with its shoulder boards.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Well at least he was admiral during the clone wars....
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Yes, he was, but then he got demoted, post war cuts - like Custer.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Honestly, I'd say we're better off with the EU getting cut, because I can think of more crappy stories than ones I'd actually want to keep. I would really like it if elements of Shadows of the Empire, the X-Wing and Thrawn books as well as the KOTOR games made it back in... but I can't really think of much else. I'm kinda glad stuff like the New Jedi Order, Dark Empire, the Kevin J. Anderson books, the Force Unleashed and so on are no longer in continuity.

That, and there's no way they could ever make movies set after ROTJ and not have it completely contradict the books. I was feeling that the EU was in need of a reboot even before they announced Episode 7. You can't expect the writers to read up on all the post-ROTJ lore, nor can you expect general audiences to know it all and be able to follow it. I really feel that people who are angry about the Legends reboot just aren't being very realistic.

That, plus Grand Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade are extremely popular characters, so I have little doubt they will make it back into continuity in some form. Mara Jade just might not be Luke's wife this time around.

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 am

"You can't expect the writers to read up on all the post-ROTJ lore, nor can you expect general audiences to know it all and be able to follow it."

But hasn't it been like that in the late years before they announced the reboot? They kept adding stuff into the continuity and somehow managed to do it. It wasn't required that fans knew everything about every story to understand it, and the writers somehow managed to not contraditct each other way too much. And there are tons and tons of fans that know a lot about Star Wars and could easily point writers in the right direction. If they have managed to do it almost to this day I don't see why it suddenly became a problem and I still think the reboot was not necessary. I would have rather they didn't say anything and that contradictions could be retconned by fans instead of accepting the old stuff is either gone or replaced by "lookalikes".
They could have still made an Episode 7 with a new story that didn't require fans to know the EU stories and that didn't require a reboot if they wanted to. Or just made an episode that takes place 100 years after and let the original saga end in Episode 6 like it already had.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:43 pm

The EU started going off the rails about a decade ago, it's telling that they started going back and doing stuff like The Force Unleashed to A: help straighten out the wonky canon and B: Distract from how thin the tail end of the EU was getting.

There's a lot of very weak EU stuff that's really just for Star Wars nerds, take out Luke et al and it's garbage, that's true even of about 30-50% of the NJO despite it all being planned ahead of time.

Then there's te "planet of the Black People".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korun

Matthew Stover was allowed to write Shatterpoint in which Mace Windu is revealed to be from a jungle planet of dark-skinned Africanesque people who are all force sensitive.

In Legends technobabble that makes Mace "Near-Human" rather than Human - his people are divergent from the baseline represented by Coruscanti/Alderaanian/Correlian populations (who have only ever been represented as white).

Oh - then we have the race of Asians: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Epicanthix

So - in Star Wars "Humans" are all white.

This is the result of authors being allowed to write whatever stupid dross they want rather than overt racism, but still.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:45 pm

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax wrote:Otherwise the next victim will surely be the Slave 1, I wonder what stupid name they pick for that classic.
They kept the Firespray name in the new Canon.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Firespra ... tack_craft

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slave_I

A lot of ships/technology have kept their EU names.

Just check the canon pages on Wookieepedia

The only change I can think of off the top of my head is the A-Wing, they changed its origin, it isn't an Incom/Rebel invention anymore, it is now made by Kuat.

I'm guessing to tie it in with the Jedi Starfighter design linage, they do have similar designs.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Speaking of the A-Wing, looks like there's gonna be some of those in EP8. Aparently Prince Harry has visited the Pinewood set recently and has posted Pictures of himself, sitting in an A-Wing while talking to Marc Hamil.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:39 pm

General_Trageton wrote:Speaking of the A-Wing, looks like there's gonna be some of those in EP8. Aparently Prince Harry has visited the Pinewood set recently and has posted Pictures of himself, sitting in an A-Wing while talking to Marc Hamil.
There are also a couple images of just the A-Wing

Like the New X-wing it is also influenced by the old McQuarrie art

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Which actually makes the Rotj A-Wing retrospectively the odd one out, because the A-Wings in Rebels are also based on the Mcquarrie painting.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun May 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Yeah, I never considered that.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sun May 01, 2016 10:27 pm

It certainly looks like the A-Wing design from Star Wars Rebels:
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Mon May 02, 2016 12:27 am

That's awful. Is it really that hard for them to make a new ship that is not based on a McQuarrie concept or a recolored Tie fighter?

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon May 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Actually, from those pics it looks rather different. It seems longer than an A-Wing, more like the Episode II Jedi Starfighter. It's guns are similar to the Rebels A-Wing but the fins are more like the JotJ version, and neither other the other two variants have those blisters either side of the cockpit.

Here's the Rebels A-Wing

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0310105643

See how it's body is shaped like the RotJ one but with the concept-arts fins and guns, and the cockpit?

Overall this looks like a pastiche of the Jedi Starfighter, RotJ A-Wing, and the concept art for RotJ. If this is Luke's fighter that he took into exile that potentially makes a certain amount of sense.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon May 02, 2016 11:40 pm

Another thing - see how far HRH Prince Harry is sitting back in the cockpit - in both the Rebels A-Wing and the RotJ one there's machinery behind the pilot, but here the whole back the cockpit hinges up - again more Akin to the Jedi Starfighter.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue May 03, 2016 12:39 am

BattleDog wrote:Which actually makes the Rotj A-Wing retrospectively the odd one out, because the A-Wings in Rebels are also based on the Mcquarrie painting.
Yeah... It's the same reason I hated most of the designs from Knights of the Old Republic. It's trying too hard to be what was already established. There's no creativity in the designs. As much as most of us hate Phantom, the N1 was a good new design.

Also, unless that A-Wing canopy *also* slides foward/back, there's no way the canopy can close. 9_9

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am

It's amazing how people already damn a movie more than a year before it comes out ...

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Tue May 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Oh come on! with those minor differences it still looks almost exactly like an A-Wing, it barely counts as a new ship.
After how much Episode 7 disappointed me I have my reasons to keep my expectations for this movie abysmally low for now.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue May 03, 2016 2:29 pm

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax wrote:Oh come on! with those minor differences it still looks almost exactly like an A-Wing, it barely counts as a new ship.
After how much Episode 7 disappointed me I have my reasons to keep my expectations for this movie abysmally low for now.
Yeah, because it's not like it happens in real life, or anything.

1970s

2010s

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Tue May 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Are you seriously comparing Star Wars to real life?
It takes place in an entire galaxy, not one planet. Just because Earth countries don't change their designs that much doesn't mean they should do the same in fiction. Real life is boring, Star Wars shouldn't be.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Are you seriously still bitching about a fictional craft!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Tue May 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Wow sorry that my mind is not as simple and basic like yours and I don't get amused by something that looks the same as it did 30 years ago.
If you don't care about Star Wars go to another forum.