Rogue One: my quibs (Spoilers included)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Rogue One: my quibs (Spoilers included)

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:29 am

Alright so all in all I really enjoyed Rogue One, more than any other movie I've seen in a while. And as I said in the no-spoilers thread, I rate it high up there with ESB and ROTJ.

Anyway, there were a few things, which I can't help but nitpick about. Although they all make sense from a dramatic point of view, I still thought them to be a bit off.

1. Krennick's shuttle landing half a mile of the farm. It's not a parking lot on rush hour or something, there's a lone farm in the middle of nowhere. Krennick's not dumb and he obviously knows Galen's got a still living family. So I think it somewhat pointless parking the shuttle that far off and giving everybody enough time to prepare - for what it was worth. In fact, thinking ahead, it may have been that choice of a landing spot that would or could have resulted in the entire death star fiasco in the long run.

2. That hammerhead ramming the Star Destroyer. Alright I get it, outside of any gravity well the slightest force is sufficient to move an immobile object without any propulsion. Still despite the corvette's obviously stable construction I would have rather expected it to shatter upon impact with a ship that is 20 times its size....

3. The Death Star's accuracy. Alright, so when Moff Tarkin ordered the DS to fire at Jedah City it did just that, direct hit on point. However, when he orders the second shot, i.e. target the installation on Scarif, the shot misses by what I assume is at least a hundred miles. Has the imperial accuracy syndrome spread that radically throughout the film's length? Well again I guess it was a dramatic choice, to allow Jyn and Kassian to share one last True Lies/Deep Impact moment. Nothing's more romantic than a big hug in front of a big-ass explosion.

4. Opposed to popular oppinion I preferred the CG Tarkin over the CG Leia. Dunno, but something about her face was off, I think the mouth looked a lot bigger than it used to be in the original.

Yeah but that's about it. As I said, really loved the movie, just had to air these thoughts before they burst my head.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:00 am

Good point regarding the shuttle,

(1) Like I say in the 'no spoilers' post, my biggest gripe regarding the original 'Star Wars' was that god-damn schematic showing the Deathstar!!!, when the alliance downloaded it from R2D2. The dish is in the middle, but in the movie it's on the northern portion of the equator on the Death Star, can you imagine watching this movie for over 39 years? And I just cringe when I saw it. I found out over the years there was another Death Star, that had the dish in the middle but for some reason George Lucas discarded that idea of using that model type. George Lucas tinkering with his movie over the years, I know it was upsetting to the purist, I thought he was just waiting technology to advance to make improvements. Majority of his changes I had no problem with. But making all those changes and not changing the schematic was just careless. Disney 'fixed' it in a sense. I watched Star Wars when I got home and don't have a problem with it anymore.

(2) Also not having 'Kyle Katarn' in the movie was disappointing. I loved the CG Tarkin also and notice how Princess Leia's face was more pie-faced or is it just me? I did love the way when Darth Vader went Ape-Shit on the crew in the corridor!! And him looking at the blockade Runner going into hyperspace. :D

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:53 am

About number 1: Galen also had at least one droid far away that spoted the shuttle before it landed, what he didn't have were some weapons that could have taken down the whole imperial party before they posed a threat... Ok, drama and whatnot...

About number 2: my boss said it well: when she saw the star destroiers scene, she remembered her brother/cousin Lego star destroyer and pictured it breaking apart... :)

About number 3: and the DS beam actually hits the top of that tower, talk about a weird shoting angle... And about the shockwave/destruction wall caused by the DS laser, is it only me or are they really knda slow? In Jedah it gave the heroes enough time to escape and I have the impression Saw Guerrera hideout was away closer to Jedah City than the Scarif base was from the point the super laser hit the surface... and since Jyn and Cassian are shown disappearing in a slow light fade in effect (and not hit by a nuclear type wall of fire thing) I can't but imagine Disney "revealing" in another production they were rescued in the nick of time and are alive somewhere in the galaxy, afterall there is talk about the possibity of the battle of Scarif be shown from the point of view of the Star Wars Rebels characters at some point in the future... Unlikely but who knows, I'm not fond about the argument that all characters should have died because "they don't show up in A New Hope"...

About number 4: Funny, I saw fewer critics on Tarkin's CGI, Leia's one seems to be receiving way more... and while at that, having the Tantive V there all the time was kinda odd to me, I was expecting the DS plans being emergencially retransmited and erased as the rebel command ship was boarded and the Tantive V being shown somewhere else receiving the plans and they being delivered to Leia's hands, that would fit a bit better with Vader's lines in ANH about the Tantive V "intercepting several transmissions" and Leia and Cap. Antilles trying to play the "diplomatic mission" card, kinda hard to keep that up if the ship was actually seen leaving the area... Oh, and couldn't the Death Star actually tractor bean pretty much any surviving rebel ship in the area like it does with the Falcon later? ;) Danm, better stop or the movie won't look so good the next time I see it again... :D
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:09 am

1) Keep in mind it's not just the space needed to park the ship. That shuttle has to weigh quite a bit, and it could be that the ground closer to the farm was unsuitable to landing a multi-metric-ton spacecraft. Those things usually touch down on hardened surfaces.

2) Square Cube Law. The Star Destroyer may be significantly more massive, but by virtue of being smaller the Hammerhead is much denser and would be much sturdier for its size. Thus if the bow is sufficiently hardened (and the fact Raddus specifically called in a Hammerhead rather than another ship it's entirely plausible that it is) that can completely explain why the Hammerhead could withstand a low-speed impact, whereas the Rebel ships that collided with Devastator were destroyed: They were much more lightly-built, and also moving much faster. Same principle for why an ant can lift 50 times its mass and even though humans can't.

And with that Star Destroyer not answering her helm since she was disabled, there's no resistance to her being pushed, with physics taking care of the rest. Presumably a Hammerhead would be incapable of moving that ship had she been under power and able to maneuver by virtue of her more powerful engines.

Finally, the Hammerhead wasn't actually RAMMING. The effect I got was that they were moving in under lower power to make contact, and only then fired their engines for full burn.

3) Considering what a "miss" with a weapon of the destructive capacity of the Death Star's superlaser can do, it's frankly kind of irrelevant if their targeting is right on the money. Jedha City was also a bit of a bigger target than the Skarif installation. I also don't recall that we see the exact point of impact of the blast that destroyed Jedha due to the way the shot is framed.

Besides, it does give a nice big Hope Spot that Jyn and Cassian could get away, only to rip our hearts out and stomp on it. I REALLY wanted Jyn to make it out of there, after all the hell she'd been through she deserved a happy ending. :-(

4) Tarkin was much more glaring for me, because we spent much more time with him on-screen and there was significantly more opportunities for the Uncanny Valley to set it.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 am

1.) If I recall correctly, Krennic and his troops were walking up a hill as well. I don't know SW ships can land on a hill.

2.) For what it's worth, the novel makes it clear that the Hammerhead maneuver is a suicide mission for that particular ship and that it's operating with a skeleton crew.

3.) You could argue it's actually a perfect shot by Tarkin. The beam directly hits the top where his rival is bleeding out :D
In-universe, I guess you could make the argument that the citadel is a smaller target than Jedha City.

4.) I'm the in camp that was much more comfortable with CGI Tarkin, although I think both were well done, overall. My friends, who didn't know Peter Cushing had died, never noticed that Tarkin was CGI. Leia was kind of blatant, however.

But since we're talking about quibs, the one thing I didn't like was the mind reading octopus. It just felt weird and totally out of place. I get it's trying to show that Saw and his group are extremists, but you may as well just give him an Interrogation droid. Same result, just without the weirdness of that thing.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:13 am

The CGI wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. Not easy to do, but technology is getting better. And Adobe Labs is working on new sound technology (Project VoCo) to bring speech from live and possibly past actors to life by just sampling 20+ minutes of a recording. Then type out what you want to hear on a keyboard, and you have new speech material. Very cool.

* I sort of missed the traditional opening crawl and J.W. music score. Glad there was new music.
* Would have preferred to see C3PO and R2 on the Tantive IV Corvette at end of the film rather than at Yavin Base.
* Agree, would have been good to have "Kyle Katarn" steal DS plans and then through Imperial sabotage, it somehow gets taken back to the Imperial Scarif base, where the movie resumes with Jen et al. New footage for a DVD extended version, right ? I'd pay extra for that. ;-)
* Great to see the Blue Squadron X-Wing FG in the movie. Y-Wing Gold group and others too.
* Anyone notice the "FamilyTransport".opt freighter model in the upper left corner of screen, bird's eye view of outside Yavin base after Jen has her first meeting with Rebel Command ? Had yellow markings on hull, but maybe I'm wrong. There were a number of new craft.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:11 pm

You mean the Otana? :shock: :shock: :shock:
And I don't think it was really a game easter-egg (as this was a scene we were expecting to see at some point...) but Leia receiving the plans from the rebel officer reminds me greatly the corresponding X-Wing cutscene were the Tantive V receives the DS plan. :geek:
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:37 pm

That transport was actually the Ghost from Star Wars: Rebels, you can see it a second time at the beginning of the space battle.
That along with Hera Syndulla being called out as a general via loudspeaker has already been confirmed by Pablo from the ifficial site.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Bman wrote: * Anyone notice the "FamilyTransport".opt freighter model in the upper left corner of screen, bird's eye view of outside Yavin base after Jen has her first meeting with Rebel Command ? Had yellow markings on hull, but maybe I'm wrong. There were a number of new craft.
That was the Ghost/VCX-100 light freighter from Rebels

http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/up ... ue-one.jpg

Edit:

Oops, I missed the other post. That is what I get for not scrolling down :P

Speaking of possible easter eggs (though this one is a stretch)

The leader of Blue Squadron in Rogue One is 'Antoc Merrick'

The leader of Blue Squadron in the game Rebel Assault is 'Merrick Simms'

Might just be a coincidence.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:29 pm

My complaint is that the Rebels got from Yavin to Scarif in just a few minutes, where presumably it should have taken at least a few hours.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:20 pm

How hyperspace works has never been one of the franchise's hardest bits of SciFi. Hell, don't forget the Falcon crossed MULTIPLE star systems without benefit of the hyperdrive at all.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Not to mention being so fast that it made the Kessel run in a measure of distance rather than a speciffic time :P

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Kyle Katarn is my favorite EU character and was greatly disappointed they didn't go that route. Taking that bias out of it though I really enjoyed the film. I loved CG Tarkin and was blown away when I saw him and heard him talk it was almost like Peter Cushing was actually there. I think he was in there the perfect amount of time too, more shots would have been overkill and less would have left us wanting more.
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:59 am

OK - so just saw the film this evening.

My Notes.

1. Whilst the death of the entire main cast and the destruction of the Rebel fleet was tragic and very much pulled my Rebel heart strings I think it was the only way to go. I was a bit surprised more of the Fleet didn't get away but it illustrates just how under resourced the Rebels are and just how close they are to being wiped out in ANH. In reality if some of them survived it would have felt cheap.

2. I think CGI Tarkin worked better, a lot of that has to be down to Guy Henry doing a great job with the role, bringing all the cold menace to the role Cushing did, making him the real villain of the film. CGI Leia, on the other hand, was very brief and Carrie Fisher's weight actually fluctuated quite bit during filming so that whilst they did a good job matching her face to how she looks at the start of the film they would have had relatively little footage to work with whilst with cushing you have hours and hours of footage with him looking exactly like he did in ANH. I imagine CGI Tarkin wouldn't stand up to close examination on Blu-Ray but on a large screen, sitting at the back of a big Cinema I bought it. Aside from a slightly shiny back of his head where his hair was thin I had real trouble telling it was CGI even when I knew it did. Leia, on the other hand was immediately jaring.

3. Landing the shuttle a ways away makes it look less threatening, he is trying to recruit Galen, whilst also being safer both before the ground looks quite dicey and because it makes it less likely you'd land on a mine.

4. The Cameos by Red and Gold Leaders were in a way more jarring than the CGI because I immediately recognised them as ANH outakes with slightly different wording.

5. The detailing was just spot on, the settings were great, the whole feel of the film works towards making you believe it's right before ANH - and it works! I think my heart skipped a beat when the X-Wing fired for the first time and I heard the zap-thump of the cannons.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:38 pm

My own Nitpicks
-When we see R-2 and 3p0 isn't that after they've stated that Admiral whatshisname has left? Isn't Tantive V in the hangar of that guys ship? Shouldn't they be on it? Why would they bring a ship that is supposed to be part of their diplomatic cover to a battle? And didn't have it in the fight?

- the two destroyers stationed at the shield port thing don't seem to fire much to me, I know it stated that the cruiser's shields were weakening a time or two but i don't remember seeing much fire until Devastator shows up and does what one would expect a Star Destroyer to do to a group of smaller craft.

- the "Hope" dialogue was shoe-horned in and cheesy and wasn't improved when they showed Leia and I finally made the "A New Hope" connection. Just stop it movie writers, there's plenty of room in Star Wars to tell new stories without trying to force a connection like that. There is plenty of continuity in the story connecting it to the other films.

- Leia and Tarkin looked weird like a video game cutscene, and like someone above mentioned her face was sort of extra round or something. Showing the corvette fleeing and a garbled transmission/hologram from those characters would have been enough.

- The ground battle especially seemed thrown together sort of slap-dash and seemed like they were trying to connect it to as many features of the Battlefront game as they could more than telling the little story of how the battle went.

- Hyperspace, how's it work? Seriously lazy story telling there. Instead of using the opportunity to show off their cool ship maneuvering and piloting skill and daring and witty banter by Wash-bot and or the Imperial defector dude, they go with "Push the button, Frank". Also what about Gravity Wells? Hyperspace was handled stupidly in the prequels and Force Awakens too though I guess.

- stupid hollywood has to cram in stupid "gurl-power" little-girl-beats-up-10-guys-with-guns-and-armor-with-a-stick-scene. She could have much more convincingly have got them with a bomb or gun. Otherwise the character was excellent, well written and acted, and as genuine and believable as any character in a Star Wars movie has ever been, compare to Anakin in the prequels for-example, retarded-night vs brilliant-clean-day. Which made that forced little bit with the stick all the more irritating.

Despite those and other gripes, I liked the movie overall. It visually excellent. Even though I don't like how they just tossed out the old EU i liked some of the parts of how they connected to the new EU. Sometimes it seemed like the writer was worried about a committee's opinion more than making a good star wars film. I'm not convinced I couldn't write a better Star Wars story and I know for certain the writers of the Empire/Rebellion series of comics could have written something 10x better, but I was impressed overall. It was worth seeing in the theater and I thank you all on the board who convinced me to do so..