I met Steve Blum tonight

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

I met Steve Blum tonight

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:59 am

I attended Rhode Island Comic Con tonight and met Steve Blum. He's known now for voicing Zeb on Star Wars Rebels. I found out he voiced a few characters in X-Wing Alliance, most notably Olin Garn. I asked if he remembered XWA, and he became so nostalgic about it. I did ask if there was a potential sequel planned at the time as the main story abruptly ended. He said he wasn't sure as he just did voiceover work, and wasn't aware of the main story. He asked what character he voiced, and signed it with his name then Olin Garn under it. Very nice guy.

https://imgur.com/a/nEUXK
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 am

Very nice. :)

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 pm

He is a highly regarded voice actor...pretty cool :D
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:14 am

That's really cool.

It is interesting though, that there is literally nothing out there, and that nobody has an idea where Totally Games was planning to go with XWA. I find it odd they would just leave the Azzameen Story unfinished like that.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:47 pm

The Azzameen Story is not unfinished: in the last mission before the Battle of Endor (Battle 6 Mission 7) you discover that Tomaas and Galin Azzameen perished during the evacuation of the Hospital and uncle Antan was the traitor who sold both the rebels and his family to the Empire.

Antan had been an ambiguous character since the opening scene after all.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:The Azzameen Story is not unfinished: in the last mission before the Battle of Endor (Battle 6 Mission 7) you discover that Tomaas and Galin Azzameen perished during the evacuation of the Hospital and uncle Antan was the traitor who sold both the rebels and his family to the Empire.

Antan had been an ambiguous character since the opening scene after all.

Yes. And then what? He escapes, and that's the end of the story?

Sorry, but that's unfinished for me. And we still don't actually know if it was Antan that sold them out to the Empire in the Prologue. Nor does it make sense. I'm sure he was aware that by turning them over to the Rebels he is basically ensuring his own company's demise at the hands of the Empire. And then there's the fact that the last family mission makes it sound like he only recently came in contact with the Empire.

As I said, I'm sure they had an expansion lined up, but for whatever reason, it never came to fruition.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 pm

IIRC (and this was a long time ago, now), when TG were out of LA's pocket and more free to talk about things, there was a short period where we had some crosstalk between ours and their forums. I'm pretty sure they told us that they had indeed planned more for the story, culminating with revenge on Antan, but LA had wanted to clear their schedule for upcoming Episode I games, so they had to cut it short. They'd hoped to be able to release a later expansion to finish off the family story, but LA weren't interested in OT games at the time, so it never happened.

As I say, this is from memory, a long way back, and I couldn't find any sources for it in a quick search. Hopefully someone else remembers this happening, and I'm not going mad. :?
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

That's pretty much what I suspected. A shame, really.

Would have loved to see not only a conclusion to the Azzameen story, but missions that take place in the early days of the New Republic.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 am

Jaeven wrote:

Yes. And then what? He escapes, and that's the end of the story?

Sorry, but that's unfinished for me. And we still don't actually know if it was Antan that sold them out to the Empire in the Prologue. Nor does it make sense. I'm sure he was aware that by turning them over to the Rebels he is basically ensuring his own company's demise at the hands of the Empire. And then there's the fact that the last family mission makes it sound like he only recently came in contact with the Empire.

As I said, I'm sure they had an expansion lined up, but for whatever reason, it never came to fruition.
He escapes. Are you surprised? In Battle 1, Mission 2 you even helped him escaping, so what's strange if you let him escape another time?
Moreover, Tomaas Azzameen let the End Run escape in Prologue, Mission 5, because he wished to teach his sons (Emon in particular) not to persecute their enemies when they are defenseless. Yes, Tomaas was the classic light side character (or "Jedi", as you prefer). Unfortunately, not all the stories happening in the deep space have an happy end, and the Jedi had been extinguished for 20 years.

On the other hand, Antan Azzameen is a character who "takes profit when he can and escapes when he can not". There are not only heroes in the galaxy.
As for the company's demise, it was written since the first scene you see when you open X-Wing Alliance.
During the Battle of Hoth the Empire found the Azzameens with the Alliance, and the YT-2000 Otana passed so closed to an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer (probably ISDII Corrupter) that Tomaas barely avoided the collision. The Azzameens were surely identified without excuses, and Antan was perfectly aware his company was already lost. He only tried to save himself, and the Empire spared his life, but at what cost? He had to deliver Emon, Aeron and Ace to the Empire, and he accomplishes the task in the end.

Of course the story can go further, and the Totally Games was probably working on it, but with this end it's not unfinished.

However, I've always dreamt of a new X-Wing Game with a full scale Battle of Endor and New Republic missions, especially against Grand Admiral Thrawn 5 years after Endor.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.