Solo: A Star Wars Story

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:03 am

Old_Jedi wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:07 am
...some of the best cinema I have ever witnessed.
I think you may need to see more movies. :D

Rogue One felt like a fan film, to me. It deliberately played on nostalgia from the beginning (Hey look! It's those cantina guys! Remember?!), and by the end of it they were just splicing bits of ANH in, even though it added nothing to the narrative itself, in either case. On top of that, which felt really condescending and weak, it was a pretty pointless movie, since the original "story", such as it is (lol), is completely self-contained, and everything else that happens we already had (arguably better) stories for.

Much like Rogue One, Solo is a story that doesn't need to be told; in this case, because a huge part of the appeal of Han Solo is the mystery of his shady past. Without that, I don't think he's a very interesting character at all; certainly not enough to warrant his own movie. :/

Entertainment works exactly because you don't fill in all the blanks for the reader/viewer/listener. If you start trying to answer all the questions, and take away the opportunity for them to use their imagination, the thing starts to fall apart, because, at the end of the day, it's just a trick.

"Magic", as Lucas likes to call it.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am

Depends on the story. The Lord of the Rings is only enriched if you read the Appendices, the Silmarillion, and the other supplemental materials that further flesh out the world.

Also, it did make sense to see Red and Gold Leader at Scarif, though it was a shame they didn't bother to recreate Red Leader's paint scheme from the original film (in R1 it was just a palette swap of Blue Leader). Would have been cool to have a shot of his fighter having its nose blown off to show where that distinct blast mark came from.

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm

[/quote]

I think you may need to see more movies. :D

[/quote]

:lachtot: Well, I have seen a lot over my many years, and even knowing the (very) ending, I found watching the struggle to pass on the Death Star plans to be a very exciting and well filmed scene.

The LOTR is a good example of how knowing more back story brings the whole world described to much greater life.The SW universe is already richly detailed, but tell me a story and I *always* want to know more.

Not wanting to open another can of off-topic worms, 'Lost' was like that - although the ending was risible and it went on too long, the constant unravelling of backstory I found very entertaining.

OJ

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm

The Saxman wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am
The Lord of the Rings is only enriched if you read the Appendices, the Silmarillion, and the other supplemental materials that further flesh out the world.
Great examples, because like Rogue One, they can't really stand on their own without the established narratives. On the flipside, LotR and The Hobbit are complete stories in their own right, and while all that extra material exists, (much like SW comics, games, books, etc.) it's not in the original stories because it doesn't need to be. ANH can obviously stand alone, ESB (against all odds) can stand alone, RotJ, and even TPM, for all its faults, work as standalone stories, yet these are all mainline saga movies. :?

Personally, I find the closer you get to Tolkien's world, the more easily you can recognize that it's a retelling of his own war memories and personal beliefs, which doesn't lend itself well to the grand illusion he created in the books that he actually finished, and are better-respected. That's not restricted to his work, though, by any means. There is literally nothing new under the sun; everything is inspired by something else, be it Tolkien's time at war, or Lucas' fascination with the Samurai. "Creativity", at its core, is just taking things that already exist, and combining/dressing them up again in a clever way.

Escapism is the whole point of entertainment; you have to "suspend disbelief" and not ask too many questions (it's on the story to make sure you don't have to), so that you don't make it fall over. If a story doesn't allow you to do that, because it's full of obvious contrivances, for example, then it's a poor story.
it did make sense to see Red and Gold Leader at Scarif
The point is that stories are about characters and their struggles, not minutiae; this was pure fanservice, and nothing more. They were completely irrelevant to the narrative (in that they could've been any random pilots, and nothing would be different, except they'd presumably be less oddly silent the rest of the time), and it pulled me out of the events of the movie, because (surprise, surprise) I already saw that exact dialogue in ANH a hundred times. :roll:
Old_Jedi wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm

but tell me a story and I *always* want to know more.
If it's a good story, sure. Nothing inherently wrong with more; I'm just saying it needs to be put in a story where that stuff is important to the plot, and not "just because". :p

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:01 pm

They added the Solo Falcon to Battlefront 2, it's a really good model, if anyone wants reference images, or hell the model itself I can provide.

Epsilon Eridani
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Epsilon Eridani » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:34 am

First of all, I really liked that new (old to be precise) design of the Millennium Falcon.
A thing I would be curious to know: if both the designs of the Falcon are classified as modified YT-1300 transports, what’s the default YT-1300 in Canon Star Wars? Is it more similar to the Falcon from Solo or the original trilogy one?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 am

IIRC the escape ship was actually added by Lando, so I‘d presume the classic look remains the canon stock.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Epsilon Eridani
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Epsilon Eridani » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 am

Thank you for the answer. The addition of an escape ship is a smart move, especially in a galaxy where you can trust no one.

Another thing intriguing me is how many times can Darth Maul revive...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Well Maul‘s story was explored in quite some details du ing Clone Wars and later Rebels.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 am

Epsilon Eridani wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 am
Another thing intriguing me is how many times can Darth Maul revive...
It has only happened once.

Twice if you count a non-canon legends story.
General_Trageton wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 am
IIRC the escape ship was actually added by Lando, so I‘d presume the classic look remains the canon stock.
Yeah, Lando says in the movie that he added it himself.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

Why should a fallen Sith Lord lead a criminal organization?
We need to know more about the Crimson Dawn.
Waiting for more canon sources.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am

Lot of that has been built up in the Clone Wars series, where Maul and his Brother were in Charge of Death Watch, the Black Sun and other criminal organisations.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am
Why should a fallen Sith Lord lead a criminal organization?
We need to know more about the Crimson Dawn.
Waiting for more canon sources.
Like the General said, the Clone Wars TV series has the backstory.

Kievan Mereel
Recruit

Post by Kievan Mereel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm

With the recent home release of Solo I couldn't but help notice the similarities between the Conveyex containers and a Type-A container in the X-Wing series. I really think that the XWU redesign of the bulk freighter as carrying standard containers was spot on.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:34 am

A little similarity of the design, but I doubt the movie prop folks were looking at any models from these games to render the train.

Watched Solo last night and this movie was entertaining and creative. I'll have to admit I was surprised to see Darth Maul at the end of this movie.
I don't recall if Palpatine finished him off with his brother Savage from the Clone Wars 3D cartoon or did his character live on? That leaves the door open for other appearances.
Last edited by Bman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:56 am

Thing is you'll find a lot of hexagonal and angled shapes all over imperial design - and post-republic SW in general.

Just watched the Blu Ray version yesterday. Still a lot of fun :)
Just then noticed the singing head in a jar, wondering if that's a reference to Futurama :D

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 am

The containers on the 20-T Railcrawler conveyex transport definitely look similar to A-type Containers from X-Wing Alliance Upgrade.
This might be an idea for new container textures in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Interesting... It's hard to tell amidst the action, but in a still, easy to see that all the train containers have the same scratch marks.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:40 am

I never quite understood the concept of "stories that don't need to be told".

Any story that has people willing to listen to it is, by definition, a story that has a reason to be told.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Wiktionary wrote:Need - A requirement for something.

Reason - A motive for an action or a determination.
Pick one. :P

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm

I’d return the argument. People keep acting like stories can only be told if there is a NEED for them, because a REASON is apparently just not enough.
— Hobbie Klivian

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 pm

There are tons of good movies out there that lots people probably didn't want or even think about.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:48 pm

...because a REASON is apparently just not enough.
Any old reason? No, not by a long shot. Good reasons (plural)? Yes.

"People always ask about the Clone Wars line in ANH" is a good reason to flesh out that part of history, but on its own, not really enough; "People want to know about Anakin's youth and fall" gives you two good reasons; "People want to know what Obi-Wan did as a General in the Clone Wars", "...who Luke & Leia's mother was", and so on. By the time you get to actually making your story, you want as many of those good reasons as possible; so many that you need to tell that story. Good reasons = good story.

Was "Lando-on-Droid action" the elusive answer you'd been waiting for all these years? :?
Tuskin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 pm
There are tons of good movies out there that lots people probably didn't want or even think about.
The reverse is also true; for example, when I was a kid everyone was hyped for the Super Mario Bros. movie, and then... :D

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:53 pm

What happened to the good old „because we can“ explaination? Does this hold no more value in this ungrateful world? XD

I‘m waiting for the first (likely Disney or WB) movie being announced as „by corporate demand“

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am

I saw the movie as being offered a piece of cake. I didn’t ask for it. I didn’t need it. It’s not even remotely a brand new kind of cake. But it’s been given to me and I like it, so it would be the height of persnicketiness to start complaining about being given a cake.
— Hobbie Klivian