Solo: A Star Wars Story

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 pm

DarHan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am
I saw the movie as being offered a piece of cake. I didn’t ask for it. I didn’t need it. It’s not even remotely a brand new kind of cake. But it’s been given to me and I like it, so it would be the height of persnicketiness to start complaining about being given a cake.
Nicely put.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Except it's nonsense, lol.
DarHan wrote:
Blah-blah-blah
Meanwhile, back in the real world, they're running a business, and charging you; you didn't get "given" anything. So you're essentially saying we shouldn't complain about products we paid for, if they don't meet our expectations? Wow... just, wow. :roll:

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this:

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Ok I may be repeating myself here, but, I went to see this movie with the mindset of not performing the holy ritual of watching a Star Wars movie but simply some fine popcorn sciFi flick that just so happens to have a SW brand sticker slapped onto it.

End of the day I found it better than I expected it, was well entertained and still refuse to get all emotional or righteous-ragey about it. You didn‘t like it, I get it. Next?

On a totally unrelated sidenote, have you noticed that outrage seems to be the number one passtime on the internet these days? Just a thought

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm not even sure what is being discussed here.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:43 am

Outrage for outrage‘s sake? I don‘t think its about the movie...

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 am

Where's the outrage, again? Please show me where I wasn't calm, collected, and coherent. :?

Feel free to refute the points I've made, without resorting to disingenuous tactics, like the person who showed up with a bait & switch (which I gave the benefit of the doubt for, at first), and when he couldn't "win", ignored everything I said and moved the goalposts, twice, leaving us at the point that:
Jaeven wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm interested in honest debate (you know, where it isn't about "winning", but figuring out the reality of things, so that everyone is enlightened). I guess there's no market for that kind of thing, anymore; everything has to be polarized now, with no middle ground possible. :roll:

Where do I get off trying to discuss Star Wars in a Star Wars discussion forum, right? :P

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am

Rich C wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 am
I'm interested in honest debate (you know, where it isn't about "winning", but figuring out the reality of things, so that everyone is enlightened). I guess there's no market for that kind of thing, anymore; everything has to be polarized now, with no middle ground possible. :roll:
Welcome to the internet off today, mate!

Like I said, I personally enjoyed the movie for what it was. Meanwhile others apparently didn‘t enjoy it which is just fine in and of itself. The thing that mildly bugs me is that people make such a big fuss about it.

But don‘t mind me, really, I‘m pretty much just messing with you for my own twisted amusement.
2D6BD373-E1B3-4C34-ABB0-491712CE96A4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Rich C wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 am
Where's the outrage, again? Please show me where I wasn't calm, collected, and coherent. :?

Feel free to refute the points I've made, without resorting to disingenuous tactics, like the person who showed up with a bait & switch (which I gave the benefit of the doubt for, at first), and when he couldn't "win", ignored everything I said and moved the goalposts, twice, leaving us at the point that:
Jaeven wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Where do I get off trying to discuss Star Wars in a Star Wars discussion forum, right? :P
And yet you post a pic of 'anal Lube'... awesome way to make an honest debate.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm
Because the attitude shown was a fine way to "get shafted", hence the gif that followed.

Context is kind of critical, don't you think? :roll:

I hope the irony of your post isn't lost on you.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm

"Honest debate" - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm

LMAO! We actually managed to derail the topic to the point where people are debating ... actually what are we debating right now?

I‘m so having fun, here!

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:42 pm

I don't think anyone knows what this is about anymore.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm
"Honest debate" - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Wow, nice meme; should I go for the low-hanging fruit of how it's actually two words, or just get straight to the heart of it and point out that you used 18 words to add - since you didn't go into details - absolutely nothing to the discussion? This is generally known in the realm of internet fora as a "shitpost". ;)

All I've done here is defend my points, and then had to defend myself from unfounded personal attacks. Sax is the only person who actually tried to engage, and unfortunately never came back with anything further. Everyone else that's posted for my attention (including the site admin, of all people), has done so with nothing but an accusative comment, or other irrelevant stuff, lol.

If you don't care to discuss my points, then ignore them; otherwise, carry on with your witch hunt, I guess. It's been a real eye-opener, so far. :/

EDIT: And straight in with another "zinger", with nothing to back it up. Did you even read the rest of this post? Not a learning animal? Kindly show me where I shitposted, or go practice your critical thinking skills. :roll:

EDIT 2: It's a common expression, presented in a visual way for comedic effect. I already explained it; if you still can't comprehend the meaning, then there's not much hope for you. Regardless, you've been a weasel throughout, so why should I pull my punches?

List of things that are asinine:

1. Implying I made any kind of comparison like that. I expressed that I was disappointed due to recent movies not being up to the standard I expect from a franchise. Nice strawman; still disingenuous, I see. Can't help yourself?
2. Bringing your sexuality into it. Seriously, nobody here cares what you do with your nether regions in private. Maybe you have a "race card" you'd like to play, too? :roll:
3.Implying I care whether people that can barely string a sentence together are laughing at me, lol.

Let's also take a moment to observe that it's not me shitting up this thread with even more nonsense posts. ;)
Last edited by Rich C on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Rich C wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm
Wow, nice meme; should I go for the low-hanging fruit of how it's actually two words, or just get straight to the heart of it and point out that you used 18 words to add - since you didn't go into details - absolutely nothing to the discussion? This is generally known in the realm of internet fora as a "shitpost". ;)
I defer to your expertise.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Rich C wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:06 pm
Except it's nonsense, lol.
DarHan wrote:
Blah-blah-blah
Meanwhile, back in the real world, they're running a business, and charging you; you didn't get "given" anything. So you're essentially saying we shouldn't complain about products we paid for, if they don't meet our expectations? Wow... just, wow. :roll:

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this:
Honest debate is telling someone to have some anal lube without stopping just a minute that the gay man on the other side is going to laugh at you.

But, yeah. I see Star Wars as convenience food. I and any others pay for it, but I am of the opinion that buying convenience food and then complaining that it's not Le Buffet du Roi Cinq Étoiles is asinine.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 am

I'd like to debate why you didn't just write
but I am of the opinion that buying convenience food and then complaining that it's not 5 star is stupid
instead of waffling in French and using a word which is little used these days, seems little "Pointless"! :? :? :? :? :irre: :irre: :irre:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am

So, summing things up, all this is, in the end, an analogy towards man‘s failure to communicate in a highly digitalized world, influenced by sociological and cultural conditioning and personal expectations and the industry‘s failure to recognize and as such fulfil these.

Great stuff!

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 am
waffling in French
J'ai le droit de parler ma langue natale si je veux, monsieur. Especially since, food-wise, “5-star” definitely carries a different connotation than a pompous French name.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm

DarHan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:04 pm
J'ai le droit de parler ma langue natale si je veux, monsieur.
Not on here you don't, where not all natives! :D

Besides, since the majority of people's primary language on here is English, (Yanks, rudimentary English) lol, please stick to a language we all understand, we can't all be translators! :D
General_Trageton wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am
So, summing things up, all this is, in the end, an analogy towards man‘s failure to community in a highly digitalized world, influenced by sociological and cultural condotioning and personal expectations and the industry‘s failure to recognize and as such fulfil these.

Great stuff!
You hit the nail on the head mate :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm

I for one am really looking forward to DTM's new backdrops. Anyone else feel the same?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Had a few typos though, meant „communicate“ not community. In that sense, the aforementioned failure is mine as well.

To pick up on Jaeven‘s note, how‘s the weather over there?

I hereby declare this thread a piece of performance art.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm

A piece of something... but not art lol
- John Lydgate

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Rich C wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 pm
Forceflow wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm
Because the attitude shown was a fine way to "get shafted", hence the gif that followed.

Context is kind of critical, don't you think? :roll:

I hope the irony of your post isn't lost on you.
No, you made it into something that suited your point. The argument was that no one forces you to watch the movie. No one takes your money against your will and you are free to dislike it. Unfortunately you also have to live with the fact that others liked it. Personally I found it fairly weak as a Star Wars movie and pretty okay as a popcorn stand alone sci-fic flick. But just because you don't like the movie in no way justifies attacking other peoples opinions of it with derogatory terms (your Blah-blah-blah quote) and posting the pic you did.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project