Solo: A Star Wars Story

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 am

They'll probably spin it like that's what that imperial officer on the DS was referring to when he said that all the escape pods were jettisoned.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:23 pm

It's an escape ship according to the toys, not an auxiliary craft like the Phantom.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Interesting, just seen a TV spot with the Falcon doing some looping maneuver and the nose piece was gone gues we'll be seeing some sort of 'transition'.

As for the Falcon's look in general, I'm not too unhappy with it. Yes, it deviates greatly from the iconic rustbucket look but, as far as paintobs go it could've come a lot worse. And, but that's me personally, I like that stylish interior. I mean, it's got a minibar, goddamnit! :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

DTM

Post by DTM » Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am

The nose is an external removable pod...maybe they will loose or release it somewhere...

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 am

Watched it, and it was pretty much as I thought it would be. Definitely a very fun movie, loaded with new canon and old EU references and just full of surprises.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri May 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Gonna see it in a few hours. I'm expecting a fun evening.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Just came back from watching the movie. And I have to say, I'm genuinely pleased how it turned out.

I've seen a few reviews beforehand that weren't overly positive about it and, given the overall state of Star Wars in recent years, went with reasonably moderate expectations. What I saw was a fun movie, which, by its own rights was well entertaining with thrilling and fun moments. Like I said in an earlier post, I went to see it not as a Star Wars movie but as an action comedy in general and here I was not disappointed and surely won't mind watching it again at some point.

Of course, being a Star Wars movie after all I loved the various hints and references to old and new canon.

So, bottom line I give it a good 8/10 rating.

DTM

Post by DTM » Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm really sorry...but I don't like this movie for many many reason :(

As I suspected, it's not a good idea to make a Star Wars movie speaking only about smugglers. Simply, it's not enough.
@ Disney: I loved Star Wars Rebels and Rogue One, but that's is a fall.
If you decide to shoot a Star Wars movie, you must have the right idea, an epic story, romantic characters and above all a formidable villain. Star Wars, the name says, is the battle of good against evil, the hope against obscurantism, David against Goliath ... and Goliath is at least as protagonist as David. This is not Star Wars.
Because there is nothing about Star WARS. Seeing the Millennium Falcon on the screen is not enough. Perhaps it would have been better to let the mythical Kessel route remain mythical.

I think that with this film the Disney made the same mistake that Lucas made when talking about Miticlorians. The difference was that Lucas missed a scene. Instead here is the whole movie, about stories that were more fascinating if left in the imagination.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun May 27, 2018 5:03 am

I enjoyed the movie well enough.

The plot was vaguely reminiscent of the old background, which was nice.

The SJW droid was an unnecessary addition. Kathleen Kennedy can kiss my butt with all the over socio-politicizing the new "Star Wars" content.

The Kessel run was obviously inspired, but entirely different than the one we all know and perhaps loved.

Qira was predicatively a typical hypergamous female acrhetype. So, boo.

Rogue One was a better movie, but this still beats out TFA and TLJ hands down.

Oh, and they f***'d Corellia's background, so there's a major minus.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Driftwood wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:03 am

Oh, and they f***'d Corellia's background, so there's a major minus.
Interesting you say that, I felt it was the opposite. Could you elaborate? Not trying to argue, just genuinely curious.

When I saw it in the movie, it very much reminded me of how Corellia was portrayed in SWTOR. Both the underground tunnels and the industrial buildings.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 am

As I recall, SWG didn't depict Coronet (incidentally a type of jewel in star wars) Spaceport as a shit hole like solo did.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

I remember there were rough parts in some areas of Coronet, but valid point. The depiction in SWG was different.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 am

Well Nal Hutta translated "Glorious Jewel" or something, too and it was anything but :)
As for SWTOR Corelia, well that one was a wartorn battlefield from 3200 years ago, there's a lot that can happen in 3 millennia ....

I'm with Jaeven tho, you'll find rough areas in every major city, inside and outside Star Wars. Comes with the people....

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon May 28, 2018 2:29 pm

I'll just wait for it to be released on blu-ray, buy it to add to the collection, watch and enjoy it for a couple of hours and not make a fuss, it is what it is in the end, a couple of hours of escapism from this dreary world we live in :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 am

I just saw it today and my feelings were...underwhelming.

I will say I REALLY disliked the Nucanon version of the Kessel Run. It's just another overly-CGIed action setpiece/Big-Lipped Alligator Moment of the sort that has become FAR too common since the Prequels. Worse still: Rather than being a feat of Han's piloting ability and the Falcon's speed, it ends up owing more to the magic super fuel.

I honestly don't think we needed the back story of so much stuff, either. I really didn't need to know where the Falcon's computer picked up its peculiar dialect, or for them to make the deal out of how Han got his DL-44.

Emilia Clarke is gorgeous, but I didn't find her character particularly interesting. The actor for Han just didn't look OR sound enough like Ford, either, and I just couldn't really buy him as Han. However Donald Glover was a great casting choice. I could ALMOST hear Billy Dee Williams delivering his dialogue; not just the sound of his voice, but in his cadence and inflection.

Overall, it was enjoyable enough, but ultimately I found it rather meh.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 am

On a fun sidenote, for the german version they didn't use the voice actor who normally syncs Harrison Ford but a younger one whom I didn't know so far. And I must say, that sync was absolutely on point, managing to make him sound EXACTLY like he did in ANH.

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 am

Donald Glover really impressed me. I'm not his greatest fan and wasn't sure he had what it took, but from his first line I was sold. I coulda sworn they had Billy Dee dub over him, it was that good. Han didn't convince me enough, but he did a decent job, and the banter between him and Chewie was great. I'm gonna be sad we won't get more Bettany though: Vision can act, and he played the role brilliantly. Same with Beckett. Qi'ra was... there, for most of the movie, and the end felt cheap, if expected - she's not in ANH, after all.

The film looked great. Kessel wasn't a potato, which made me sad. Interesting that they used the Maw, but in name only, and the whole Kessel Run sequence felt underwhelming per Saxman. Didn't see the ending coming too much, so they didn't drop the ball there, but that whole cameo at the end? That guy's always been a major meh for me (almost as overrated as Boba Fett) so his inclusion was more "aw, really?" than "woah, cool" for me, at least. I can see why people would get pumped about it, but he isn't for me.

I still liked Rogue One more, mostly because it had far more impact to the Star Wars saga as a whole. Also, K-2SO was a cooler droid sidekick than L3. It was nice to have a unique and fun, if fluffy, Star Wars adventure after the travesty of TLJ, the weight of R1, and the copy+paste of TFA. So yeah, fun Star Wars movie. Totally unnecessary overall, but only if you ignore it as a stand-alone product.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 am

Kessel has been a normal planet since Rebels season 1, Lucas imagined it that way according to BTS info for the show, that's why they went with it instead of an asteroid.

This is probably my second favourite movie of the new ones.

I loved L3, probably my favourite new character in the film. She is fun.
The Saxman wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 am
or for them to make the deal out of how Han got his DL-44.
They didn't make a deal of it though, he is literally just handed the gun with little fan fare or focus.
Driftwood wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:03 am
The SJW droid was an unnecessary addition.
There is nothing "SJW" about L3. Stop that nonsense.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 pm

Little fanfare or focus. Except for the extended bit of Becket breaking down the barrel and stock extensions, giving it a kiss, and tossing it to him with a couple lingering camera shots.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu May 31, 2018 11:53 pm

It was nothing gratuitous.

They never talk about the weapon, he just gives it to him. It was a very minor.

Han never compliments or comments the gun. They didn't treat it special at all. They treated it like a gun.

CIDlord_1973
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CIDlord_1973 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I agree with some points.
Coronet looks poor, i thought it was similar to Nar Shadaa or Coruscant.
They lost a great oportunity to show the huge variety of corelian ships.
The droid...(as i said..."a politically correct comedy") is not needed.
Even rogue one had the same "politically correct" problem.
If you see the team...looks like the U.N.
A black, an asian etc... racial diversity.
I preffer ideological diversity, and it's just what SJW hates.
The ship...well, if every one calls the falcon "piece of junk" it's cause a brand new yt-1300 should look different than the falcon.
And Han's dl-44 hmm...he lost it when Vader's trap at Bespin.
So we must assume he had a new one for ep 6...or maybe Lando saved it?
Kessel run...hmmm i always thought it was a real race, like the podraces at ep 1.
But they did something too similar to ep 5 asteroid field (even with the same music in some momments).
Anyway it was better than ep 7 and 8 (anything is).

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm

CIDlord_1973 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:29 pm
Two words: Holiday Special

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm
CIDlord_1973 wrote:
We don't talk about that. What you refer to is not a thing.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am

Jaeven wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 pm
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm
CIDlord_1973 wrote:
We don't talk about that. What you refer to is not a thing.
I'd honestly rather watch that AND both Ewok movies than Last Jedi.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Well rumor has it that after Solo bombed badly at the box office no more spin-offs are going to be made for the time being.