Assault Gunboat or Star Wing

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Assault Gunboat or Star Wing

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Looking up the Assault Gunboat on Wookiepedia only to find that it's now known as the Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing with NO mention of Assault Gunboat anymore not even as a nickname, weird that after 20 years or so they just changed it's name completely.

It's weird??

I was also told that the Missile Boat was known as the Xm-1 Nova Wing Missile Boat but if you search for Xm-1 Nova Wing it just comes up with the Missile Boat, with no mention of the Xm-1 Nova Wing

According to Wookiepedia it says about the Missile Boat
Fan-created references often refer to the Missile Boat as the "XM-1 Nova Wing," but a thorough search of official, unmodified source materials reveals no such nomenclature
Anyhow my question is since I'm doing a overhaul of the installers, should I completely rename the Assault Gunboat?

At the moment in the DSUCP and XWACP it's known as
Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing (GUN)
Cygnus Spaceworks
Empire
1 Pilot
Assault Gunboat
Assault Gunboats
Assault Gunboat
Space superiority fighter, excellent multi-role craft. Known as the Xg-1 Starwing and commonly referred to as the Assault Gunboat, The first general deployment starfighters to be equipped with shields and hyperdrive.
It still refers to the craft as the Assault Gunboat

So should I change that so there is no mention of the Assault Gunboat so it will look like
Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing (XG-1)
Cygnus Spaceworks
Empire
1 Pilot
Star Wing
Star Wings
Star Wing
Space superiority fighter, excellent multi-role craft. The Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing also known as the Xg-1 Starwing was one of the Empire's first general deployment starfighters to be equipped with deflector shields and a hyperdrive.

So the question again is keep it as the Assault Gunboat or change it to Xg-1 Star Wing??
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 am

How about "Xm-1 Nova-Wing Missile Boat" ?

And how about "Alpha-class Xg-1 Assault Gunboat"?
"Star Wing" sounds a little corny i/m/h/o. Whoever changed that at Wookiepedia, i'd say ignore it.

Oh, just noticed yesterday in the ShipList.txt file referencing Licons.bmp (.cbm) file .... for the Satellite opts Species #70+... they are missing their map icon coordinates. There are four images on the same row but last one is on far right.
For Species #164+...#170 the Cargo Freighter, Connector Rod, Cargo Tanker, and CF Hauler are missing map icon coordinates too. I have icons images I made for them years ago, if you like I can upload them here. But they could be improved upon.

Also, I believe the Licons.bmp file and the other R,G,B,Y, color files before they are auto-complied into .cbm files by the game engine, can be expanded in resolution size to include unlimited map icons. That way over the years we can keep adding new rows at the bottom and sides as new custom craft are brought into XWA community. We don't have to keep deleting/replacing map icons. Jeremy might know if there are any restrictions on file size. I haven't tested this.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 am

Bman wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 am

How about "Xm-1 Nova Wing Missile Boat" ?
It's just how is set now. And I totally agree.
Bman wrote:

And how about "Alpha-class Xg-1 Assault Gunboat"?
"Star Wing" sounds a little corny i/m/h/o. Whoever changed that at Wookiepedia, i'd say ignore it.
Disagree.
Bman wrote:

Also, I believe the Licons.bmp file and the other R,G,B,Y, color files before they are auto-complied into .cbm files by the game engine, can be expanded in resolution size to include unlimited map icons. That way over the years we can keep adding new rows at the bottom and sides as new custom craft are brought into XWA community. We don't have to keep deleting/replacing map icons. Jeremy might know if there are any restrictions on file size. I haven't tested this.
Sounds great.
Last edited by Mark_Farlander on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 am

...but a thorough search of official, unmodified source materials reveals no such nomenclature
Thorough search, my arse! I don't know where "Nova Wing" came from, exactly, but Xm-1 has been the designation of the Missile Boat since it was first introduced, as seen on page 7 of the TIE Fighter Collector's CD reference guide:
TF_CCD_RG_p7.png
The opposite page names the Gunboat as Xg-1 Star Wing; so-called because its wings kind of form a star shape, I guess. I always took "Assault Gunboat" to just be informal shorthand, or a nickname, like how everyone says "TIE Fighter", and not "TIE/Ln Starfighter".

Overall, I'd say do as you please without concern, since this is something that can be changed in a few seconds with MXvTEd, anyway, if people don't like it. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 am

The Star Wing came about essentially when FFG put it in the Tabletop game, I think.

I'm fine with the name change to Star Wing, or not. Either way, doesn't bother me.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 am

I'm personally of the view that, at least as far as the XWAUpgrade pack goes, all the names and descriptions should be left as they are in the base game (barring a few tweaks here and there) anyway.

In this specific case, I'd definitely leave it as Assault Gunboat. If only because it's what they are referred to as in a few lines of mission dialogue.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:03 pm

Will T wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 am

In this specific case, I'd definitely leave it as Assault Gunboat. If only because it's what they are referred to as in a few lines of mission dialogue.

Keen observation.
Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing Assault Gunboat to make everyone happy.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:43 pm

I think the way it is ingame right now is fine. The ship name it has in the Tech Library is Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing, whereas in-flight it's simply the Assault Gunboat.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Is it possible to edit the in-flight name too?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:55 pm

That's what I intend to do Jaeven, but I've changed the description slightly implying the Assault Gunboat is a nickname
Space superiority fighter, excellent multi-role craft. The Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing aka the 'Assault Gunboat' was one of the Empire's first general deployment starfighters to be equipped with deflector shields and a hyperdrive.
The rest will remain the same
Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing (GUN)
Cygnus Spaceworks
Empire
1 Pilot
Assault Gunboat
Assault Gunboats
Assault Gunboat
I've always known it as the Assault Gunboat, why change what we have always known

To be honest I'm not sure why I started this topic lol
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm

All good points. Didn't realize it was a Star Wing. That's perfect DS. I agree too.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Makes sense, DS.

I think, from an in-universe perspective, its reasonable to assume that pilots would nickname ships. Much in the same way that the German Tiger II tank in WW2 became known as the King Tiger, even though that wasn't its official name.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Bman wrote:

Oh, just noticed yesterday in the ShipList.txt file referencing Licons.bmp (.cbm) file .... for the Satellite opts Species #70+... they are missing their map icon coordinates. There are four images on the same row but last one is on far right.
For Species #164+...#170 the Cargo Freighter, Connector Rod, Cargo Tanker, and CF Hauler are missing map icon coordinates too. I have icons images I made for them years ago, if you like I can upload them here. But they could be improved upon.

Bman, please send them over
- John Lydgate

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 am

Hi DS, see attached. It would be far right edge, starting about row 6 down, from the top right side. There is also some other old map icons of other Shipyard facilities if any one wants them ... the ISD construction yard and SFS Shipyard JM Dare made decades ago. Bottom row near Death Star. No Connector Rod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:42 am

https://imgur.com/a/MYJi7

Starwing Assault Gunboat has been around since 93 lol.

I like the name "Starwing" better but I'm use to calling it an Assault Gunboat.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 am

Bman wrote:
I think that there is no restriction on the file dimensions.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 pm

I've just made the size 700x700 and there doesn't seem to be a problem, they are originally 600x640

Thank Bman, but I'm not sure which icons are the cargo stuff, but I'll make some new ones, it's strange, but the satellite icons are there but they're not set

Also, do you know what the first 4 numbers are for, the last 4 are obviously the icon co-ordinates

I seem to remember someone, could have actually been Jeremy, knowing what they where for

Dunno :? :?
- John Lydgate

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:13 am

Glad to help. Not sure. First four numbers might have applied to XvT engine before the .exe engine was revamped by TG. Vaguely remember someone addressed that too. Oh, the size of any icons can be made larger too, but not sure how big they can be before the in-game map/briefing screen is distorted. I also was able to add mini-map custom icons to AlliED, to help with new slot FG mapping years ago. It was a trial by error approach. I'll have to look for it.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 am

for the names I would be on the keep it as it is right now.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi DS, attached is default pallette.bmp file used by AlliED editor. I had updated it to help with mission designing when using additional custom craft in the unused available slots. It is now outdated since your latest DSUPC, but feel free to update it with new mini-icons used in the DSUCP. It doesn't work perfectly within the editor... the new map icons won't enlarge and then shrink with the frame box animation, or maybe it's within the game's map-mission briefing screen I'm thinking of. But it will at least show the particular static icon rather than a blank framed box. Maybe someone can figure out a way to fix that so custom object map-icons show correctly. Is Troy D. still around ?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Cheers mate I'll take a look at it :)
- John Lydgate