Episode IX Rumor Mill: Mara Jade?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Episode IX Rumor Mill: Mara Jade?

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Saw this on CBR: JJ Abrams are reportedly seeking an older actress for a character named "Mara."

Honestly, at this point I'm "Meh" about the prospect. Introducing Mara Jade at this stage seems kind of like a meaningless bone to toss to the fanbase at this stage, as you can't have her and Luke's relationship developed on-screen, now. Granted, they never said Luke DIDN'T have a relationship prior to his going into exile (and there's enough of a narrative gap to play with that it could conceivably be squeezed in) but it would be pretty damn hamfisted to try fitting it in now, especially since there was never a mention of her in TFA or TLJ.

And honestly, after the colossal mess Rian Johnson made, I kind of want Mara to be kept away from this shit show.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Not going to happen. If JJ had wanted Mara Jade to be in Star Wars, he would have added her in TFA.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:05 pm

It's just a code name, they all had them.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:05 pm
It's just a code name, they all had them.
While that's true, they HAD to know how fans would react to that name.

*SIGH*

I need to reread the Thrawn Trilogy and reminisce about better days.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:39 pm

You should read the new Thrawn novel as well, it's pretty damn good.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm

I dunno. I enjoyed the Thrawn Novel, but felt Zahn fell into his usual trap where he makes Thrawn too good, which is in direct contrast with his portrayal in Rebels.

He did the same towards the end of legends, where Thrawn is displayed very different to his portrayal in TTT.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Most of the problems with the overpowered depictions of Thrawn in the old EU were the result of other writers. Zahn himself tried to reinforce that Thrawn was JUST a man in the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 pm

My apologies, I wasn't clear enough in my first post.

I didn't mean too good in terms of abilities, but too good in terms of morals. Whereas he's utterly ruthless in TTT (though not wasteful, unlike Vader/Palp) he's already supposed to be just wanting to protect the galaxy in HoT. The gray washing just continues from there.