Star Wars Resistance: first trailer!

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Star Wars Resistance: first trailer!

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm sorry, but that looks absolutely awful. And I say that as someone who actually really likes the new canon.

I know, I know TCW and Rebels looked bad at the beginning too. But this is just... all sorts of wrong.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I don't like the character designs, but the actual aesthetic and art style is nice.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:02 am

Near the ending, is that blue/red fighter a R41 Starchaser?
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Marcos_Edson wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:02 am
Near the ending, is that blue/red fighter a R41 Starchaser?
Some people think it is, but the main body appears to be inspired by the Porsche 917 Gulf.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comme ... star_wars/

But it could be both.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Is it me thinking it looks kinda Anime-ish?

Can‘t say I care much for it from that trailer. Then again Rebels and TCW both started out humble and greatly improved over time. Maybe there‘s hope for this one, too.

As for that fighter ... dunno, from that image it would stray quite far from its original design. And for all I know LF usually tries to stay true to original design when reintroducing former legend craft. (That or they‘re lazy, recycling old Ralph McQuarrie doodles)
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

squarehead93
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:38 am

I wasn't blown away by this trailer but it has the chance to fill out a really interesting period in the canon that hasn't really been visualized.

I'd love to see depictions of the New Republic forces. There's so little information on them still.

My biggest concern is that TCW and Rebels had a large cast of classic characters to make stories about, in addition to the new characters those shows introduced. If Resistance takes place before TFA, there's not a lot of familiar characters to draw on. Finn is still a stormtrooper, Rey is still on Jakku, and Luke is still hiding on Ach To. That leaves Poe, Kylo Ren, General Leia, and maybe a Han and Chewie cameo?
Wielder of The Spatula

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:40 pm

It surely looks a bit Anime-ish, but considering there are many Anime-ish games on GOG, even space shooters, I guess the Resistance series might see a dedicated game in the future.
I mean no hope for a new addition to the X-Wing series, but a new Starfighter title might be viable.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:54 pm

It being Anime-inspired was mentioned in the original press release from earlier this year.

Though that made a lot of people assume it was going to be 2D not 3D.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 am

So, having recently finished it, I'd figure I give my review after my initial post in the thread.

I'm happy to say I was absolutely, 100 % wrong. As first seasons go, Resistance had by far a more stellar debut than Rebels or the mess that the first TCW season was. As always, the first few episodes are typical introductions, and as with previous series' there are some childish aspects involved.

After that though, there is little to no filler (unlike Rebels and TCW), there is plenty of new lore introduced that gives us much needed info on the First Order and the characters are overall solid. The season finale especially is outstanding. I'd definitely recommend the series, especially if you're interested in what the First Order has been up to before the events of The Force Awakens.