Lightsaber Through The Eyes of a Swordsman

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Lightsaber Through The Eyes of a Swordsman

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Saw this on YouTube: A HEMA practitioner analyzes the lightsaber and pretty much drops the mike on EVERYTHING the films get wrong about how the weapon should be used.

Pretty cool stuff, and he is SPOT ON.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Well that's Hollywood I guess. Dunno about you, but imagining them all fighting in that sort-of rapier style kinda puts me off. After all, it's Star Wars and not Pirates of the Carribean ...

He also made another video specifically about Rey's fighting style. And I do agree with him, even for SW standards, there's a lot wrong with the way she fights in that training montage.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 pm

From an outside perspective I agree that Rey's choreography was awful, but I'm also not going to hold it against the character the way the video did because Daisy Ridley could only do what the fight/stunt choreographer told her to do.

But that's also symptomatic of the turn the choreography has taken ever since Episode I (personally, I thought the choreography for Samuel Jackson in Episode III was even WORSE than Rey's).

GOD I miss the Great Bob Anderson.