T-85 X-wing

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

T-85 X-wing

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:23 pm

So apparently it's been confirmed that the X-wings in Resistance are Republic T-85s.

I have to say I'm not a fan. The funky nose with the canard fins just looks too busy, and I wasn't even a fan of the staggered foils on the T-70.

Maybe it will look better as a more realistic and less stylized model, but otherwise...meh.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Gotta disagree with you. I really like it. A more modernized and streamlined version of previous iterations.

To use a RL analogy, the Leopard II compared to the Tiger II.

squarehead93
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:11 am

I'm neutral on the design, but I read a comment on a Youtube comment on a video about this subject arguing that the T-85 isn't supposed to look as "heroic" as the iconic T-70 which is supposed to be the one we associate with the Sequel era the most.

I'm too casual to call myself a real Trekkie, so someone correct me if I'm talking out of my ass, but I know that in some series of Star Trek the Enterprise or "hero ship" of the show is not the latest and greatest ship in Starfleet, but the more "advanced" ships usually don't have the same "iconic" look.

Or going back to Star Wars, the Millennium Falcon was much more recognizable in "Solo" after being beat to hell during the Kessel Run. It stands out more as a "hunk of junk" than the sleek and gaudy ship Lando first owned.

Here's the video in question. I haven't heard anything about Lucasfilm or anyone confirming it but it seems like an educated guess at least? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U9UYbg0UgI
Wielder of The Spatula

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:26 am

Something similar to Battlestar Galactica, with the glorious Viper MkII and the more advanced Viper MkVII

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Someone did a model based on Resistance for the X-Wing miniatures game. I'm sorry, but this looks like something out of StarCitizen, NOT Star Wars.
710x528_25154086_13702394_1539300044[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kilroy
Rebel Alliance

Post by Kilroy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Resistance has me completely ambivalent, as I did not care for the previous animated series personally. I do like the idea of a new X-Wing type. To me the rebel craft always seemed to be less about specific designs and more customized to fit whatever they could get their hands on. The return of the R-41 Starchaser is cool though.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 pm

The Saxman wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm
Someone did a model based on Resistance for the X-Wing miniatures game. I'm sorry, but this looks like something out of StarCitizen, NOT Star Wars.

710x528_25154086_13702394_1539300044[1].jpg
For some reason, it reminded me of The Las Starfigher... :?
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:42 am

I did a VERY rough concept of my own earlier tonight.
T-85Rough.PNG
Not happy with a lot of it. Cockpit is out of scale and the lines feel off in a few places, especially in the upper hull around the rear part of the cabin. I kept some of the Resistance design but cleaned off a lot of the WTF crap that just looked out of place. So she has the extended sensor cone, but none of the extraneous fins or the funky lower part of the sensor cone to keep the nose looking sleeker. Gave it T-65 style full-chord foils, but took the exaggerated sweep of the trailing edge, and the leading edge notch. Engines are based on the T-70, as in the other design, but I'm not using the "split engine (though I could do that, as well). Also, she's got REAL guns and not the dinky peashooters.

I'd do more to tweak the design if I were to model it "seriously," but I've got way too much on my plate to mess with it more than I have right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:05 pm

I think the spacing between the wings when open might be an artistic choice, as Poe's T-70 also had it's wings the same distance apart in the same episode.

Personally I'm in love with the design. The only thing I dislike is the length of the laser cannons.

Paint scheme is a bit much for a standard fighter, but I wouldn't mind it as a something they'd use at an air show/demonstration.
5IeU2Jq.png

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Saxman, an off-topic question for you; since the vertice-to-mesh limitation is not an issue anymore, do you think it's more probable your E-Wing modeling project could be playable under the XWA engine?
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Theoretically it should be, however it may require some extensive modifications. IE it's not conventionally textured. All of the panel lines and other markings are done with decals, and a lot of the coloration is done with materials. So I'd have to UV map the mesh and conventionally texture it.

I wouldn't mind doing it, but yeesh there's a lot of work, and I'm already swamped as it is.

The real question I have, is that now that S-foils can be activated in any slot, is it possible to create completely new S-foil animations? The last time I made any OPTs, S-foils had to match the position and mesh number as the original TG OPTs. I'd LOVE to get my new X-wing into the game, but that would require being able to apply new animations for the S-foils.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:34 am

Yep it's now possible as I understand it from Jeremy's patch. The mesh index order (the meshes that need to rotate) in the base .opt must match the index order/number of another rotating mesh(es) in the exterior model, and I believe the cockpit model too. The mesh type sometimes matters. As a best practices method, I'd recommend moving all rotation meshes at the bottom end of the mesh listing in Jermey's editor. The static MainHull meshes could be placed at the top of the list to make things more compatible if you wanted to swap out a craft with contents of another model like Shuttle.opt = ImperialLandingCraft.opt.

The (Modelname)SFoils.txt file and even the (Modelname)Pilot.txt files reference which meshes via index number to rotate for all three related models. This is assuming the pivot point of each rotating mesh with their three x, y, z, (rotation/look, transformation/up, scalability/right) vectors are setup correctly. If you need help with the rotation of meshes at some point send me a PM.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Hm. Sounds like it's still going to be complicated. Especially because my X-wing model has multiple moving components on the S-foils:

1) The wingroot that joins each S-foil pair to the central hub
2) The individual S-foils themselves (parented to the wingroot)
3) The four armored plates that cover the opening in the hull when the foils are open (these are parented to the S-foils, but rotate independently, two port/two starboard)
4) All the secondary meshes (IE the cannon, engine cans, etc.) that are parented to the S-foils

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Hallo Saxman,
As a senior member of the XWAUP project, you may get a look at the Private Forum. You will find important informations and examples about the S-Foil function with multiple meshes; we are using it also to add landing gears to many XWAUP starfighters...

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Holy $#@*! DTM... Awesome

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 am

Hi Saxman, those should all work. How they are modeled in your native 3D modeling program and direction the mesh faces when imported into Optech or XwaOptEditor might have some influence on which values i.e. "32767" are used for the three x,y,z vectors. What I've learned from testing is the farther the rotating mesh's x,y,z pivot point is away from the mesh itself, then the mesh may swing behaving more like a pendulum or a yo-yo in space. The closer to the center of the mesh itself, the more perfect circular rotation. If you look at one of the Lambda Shuttle's mesh side wings, you'll notice it's pivot point x,y,z location is slightly above the mesh and slightly towards the center of the model which allows it to fold up correctly. If it were closer to center of the mesh wing, the wing would rotate more like a propeller and look odd. The .txt files tell the game what angle to rotate the mesh(es). The transformation and scalability vectors are little more vague in how they work. I'm currently working a mini-project of implementing 8 new landing lights and gear flaps to the Lamdba Shuttle like in ROTJ. Stuck on rotation issue.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 am

Saw a great “realistic” take of the T85 on YouTube

https://youtu.be/32vjnFjEFcA

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 pm

I've seen it. The problem is it doesn't really address any of the fundamental problems in the design, other than moving the S-foil pivot to the center (which just introduces MORE problems because of the hull thrusters). His placement of the torpedo tubes also runs afoul of those canards.

Marco Antonio
XWAU Member

Post by Marco Antonio » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:08 pm

my WIP:
Derylin Platform - Modelling-100% Mapping-10%

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:36 am

Look up two posts ;)

Marco Antonio
XWAU Member

Post by Marco Antonio » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:23 pm