How do you play?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

How do you play?

Zuzzi
Recruit

Post by Zuzzi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am

Which joystick do you use? Are you using keyboard or something different? I’m not sure xwa does support pedals or mfd displays..

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:42 pm

I use(d) an old MS Sidewinder Joystick plus keyboard. AFAIK XWA does not support mouse, not sure about pedals.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm

I use a old school Logitech Force 3D Pro and Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse, Model # K350

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 pm

General_Trageton wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:42 pm
I use(d) an old MS Sidewinder Joystick plus keyboard. AFAIK XWA does not support mouse, not sure about pedals.
XWA does natively support pedals.

Haven't had time to play lately, but full CH HOTAS and Pedals setup. I've even used the CH software to put yaw on the pedals rather than the stick. I also had mine rigged so the views work with Track IR, although it has to be recentered periodically because it gets out of sync after a few minutes.

Zuzzi
Recruit

Post by Zuzzi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:31 pm

I’m using some version of a MS sidewinder (jotstick unusually different from what pictured in the box). Remember i was pretty happy with that.

Have also pedals from a budget wheel.. never tried (need conversion cable).
Always used a keyboard, but i’d love to try the mfd coguar from thrustmaster, unfortunately i don’t know if it’s supported..

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:59 pm

I use my XBox One controller.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:34 pm

I used an x52 and x52 Pro, although they're both not working properly anymore. Looking to replace them with a Thrustmaster.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:14 pm

I also used fly with a Saitek x52 until the twist rudder kept glitching despite my attempts to fix it. I upgraded to the Thrustmaster Warthog and a set of pedals, also used the software to switch the roll to pedals.
May the Force be with you all.

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Late to the party, but for my recent playthrough I used an XBox One controller, using Reimar's updated ddraw.dll https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddra ... ses/latest

I was able to use a program called Xinputplus to adjust some of the axis and buttons (NOTE: if anyone wants to try this in the future DO NOT use the direct input option, it overwrites the Dinput.dll created by XWAUCP and DSUCP causing every hook they use to break). My current setup has the triggers set as joystick buttons, left stick does pitch and yaw, right stick technically does roll (x) and throttle (y) however I also disabled output on the y axis so it only controls roll and I just use the various speed presets instead of a manual throttle. I'll attach my Xinput1_3.dll incase someone finds this in the future and wants to try it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:32 am

I used a Saitek ST-200 (a simple usb stick with four buttons) then a few years ago when the thing became too old after more than a decade (it got almost to the point I couldn't hit the side of a bulk transport at inspection distance with the thing and this when the trigger didn't decide to not work randomly) I got a CH Combatstick USB (never bought a stick this expensive before, but I remembered when they were featured in old PC magazines and since I had 110 Euros to spare I decided to treat myself) later upgraded to full HOTAS with a CH Pro Throttle a few months later, I even did a full run with the set beating the game for the first time in I don't know how much time.

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I use a Extreme 3D Pro Joystick now with a keyboard. I'm too lazy to map out all the extra buttons, though. I mostly just use the joystick hat, trigger, target button and throttle. Years ago, I used to use a CH Flightstick. Those were awesome.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 am

Wotan Weave wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm
I use a Extreme 3D Pro Joystick now with a keyboard.
Ditto. I map the hat to w/x/;/', and I wrote some macros for the base buttons to access some of the squadron menu commands, like "attack my target type".

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:43 pm

I use the ASUS Strix Tactic Pro keyboard with macro keys to give orders and set energy configurations.