New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Do explosions glow in SWC? It's been quite a while since I've played. I assume they do?

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 pm

New hud test version, please suggestions for it. Thank you @Blue_Max and @JeremyaFr and everyone who positively influences inspiration for further work.

link for youtube video - https://youtu.be/4fy3qmZ3EeY
Sorry for my English.

Regards
KW

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:35 pm

korekwerner I really like the video, I did notice the longer time in hyperspace but I did notice no sound at the end.

I have a few questions... I've been trying to have starships outside my hanger.. how is that done? Also I notice the 'Hyper Buoy' was some times yellow ( it been so long since I played Xwing Vs TIE Fighters that I forgot it had a yellow buoy..) then in your latest video it looked customized which looked light blue like in Xwing Allince which looked great. ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Sat May 09, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm

Starships outside your hangar can be configured using the Hangar Editor to manually place opts about the hangar space; which incidentally includes outside the hangar opt itself.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:51 am

Ah.. Driftwood never heard of a Hanger Editor. Where can I get it?

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 am

Jeremya's XWA tools downloader.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 am

korekwerner wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 pm
New hud test version, please suggestions for it. Thank you @Blue_Max and @JeremyaFr and everyone who positively influences inspiration for further work.

link for youtube video - https://youtu.be/4fy3qmZ3EeY
Sorry for my English.

Regards
KW
I have 2 questions about the video you linked:
1. Did you change any mission backdrops? B1M1 does not have 1 planet and 2 satellites as backdrops.
2. I remember the hyperspace sequence start and end being completely different in other tests posted.
I mean there was the last frame of the old region freezing while the hyperspace jump started.
That gave the idea your speed is >c
Now only the blur effect is left. Why?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 am

I too have some questions/comments:
  • It looks like your cockpit opt is pitched forward. Would this be configurable at install time? It bothers me greatly.
  • Possibly related to the above, there's a disagreement on where "forward" is during the hyperspace sequence.
  • How did you implement the targeting computer? Is it a functional lead assist, or just a copy of the radar with only the targeted craft displayed?
  • What's up with the radar scopes? It looks like they close up like flowers with the s-foils? It seems kind of superfluous to me (and possibly even harmful, since you lose use of your scopes while the s-foils are closed), but I'm curious how you did it (and why). It's not the kind of mesh animation I know how to do with s-foil rotary wings.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 pm

which sounds do you use? i have unpacked the old X Wing audio upgrade on an old 32 bit PC and used the Alarm Missle sounds

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 am
2. I remember the hyperspace sequence start and end being completely different in other tests posted.
I mean there was the last frame of the old region freezing while the hyperspace jump started.
I removed that about ~2 months ago, when I introduced the cockpit inertia. I think this was removed even before release 1.1.2. Nobody seems to have noticed, so I figured: why bother adding it back? :P The problem is that cockpit inertia or anything that moves the cockpit will disable the hyperspace blur -- it only works when the cockpit is fixed straight ahead.

Great video, Korek. I coded some of the enhancements in the video, like the laser and warhead lock, and even I don't understand how you managed to colorize only parts of the CMD! Good job!

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat May 09, 2020 11:53 pm

blue_max wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 pm
Phoenix Leader wrote:
I removed that about ~2 months ago, when I introduced the cockpit inertia. I think this was removed even before release 1.1.2. Nobody seems to have noticed, so I figured: why bother adding it back?
Because that was one of the ABSOLUTE BEST upgrades X-Wing Alliance had ever seen in 21 years.
Too bad it has been removed. :(

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sun May 10, 2020 3:17 am

If that cockpit inertia thing causes issues, is it possible to disable it whenever you "Hit the space bar to initiate the hyperdrive" and freeze the frame immediately afterwards?
Or would it be too late since the last frame of the starting region has already expired and no frame of such region is available?

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Ok here is another version of the cockpit.
@Phoenix Leader Yes I deleted one planet and put new backdrops from my pack (you can download it). Hyperspace is the @blue_max thing.

@keiranhalcyon7 1. Yep, I notice that to. But this is random problem. In new version everything looks ok. 2. Targeting computer thing is a idea of blue_max (thank you). I only put one more texture and it's works. Exactly this is a copy of the sensor with an additional color change after selecting the target and taking it to the HUD target. 3.in X-Wing we don't have visible sensors, they look like mickey mouse ears, which is why I found them to be holographic displays. That is why they show up in such an unusual way. This is standard mesh animation. It all depends where to put the reference point for the animation.
Watch the attached video carefully. Certainly answer your questions.

old version of the DC X-Wing cockpit.

version from the 10th of May 2020.
grafika png

I also implemented the charging beam next to the engines, and the charge level on the flashlight on top.

link for new video - https://youtu.be/37-18APMvmc

Sorry for my English.

Regards
KW

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon May 11, 2020 12:01 am

Have you taken the proton torpedoes sound from Starfighter? That sounds like a good idea.
And what about Advanced torpedoes?
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon May 11, 2020 12:11 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:53 pm
blue_max wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 pm
Phoenix Leader wrote:
I removed that about ~2 months ago, when I introduced the cockpit inertia. I think this was removed even before release 1.1.2. Nobody seems to have noticed, so I figured: why bother adding it back?
Because that was one of the ABSOLUTE BEST upgrades X-Wing Alliance had ever seen in 21 years.
Too bad it has been removed. :(
I agree that was an outstanding effect, but I understand it might cause some compatibility issues with other mods such as the cockpit inertia mod.
If this is the case, is it possible to have a choice during the installation process for future releases?
I mean hyperspace-entry frame-freezing mod vs cockpit inertia mod and the user can choose which mod to install.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon May 11, 2020 4:00 am

korekwerner wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm
Ok here is another version of the cockpit.
@Phoenix Leader Yes I deleted one planet and put new backdrops from my pack (you can download it). Hyperspace is the @blue_max thing.

@keiranhalcyon7 1. Yep, I notice that to. But this is random problem. In new version everything looks ok. 2. Targeting computer thing is a idea of blue_max (thank you). I only put one more texture and it's works. Exactly this is a copy of the sensor with an additional color change after selecting the target and taking it to the HUD target. 3.in X-Wing we don't have visible sensors, they look like mickey mouse ears, which is why I found them to be holographic displays. That is why they show up in such an unusual way. This is standard mesh animation. It all depends where to put the reference point for the animation.
Watch the attached video carefully. Certainly answer your questions.

old version of the DC X-Wing cockpit.

version from the 10th of May 2020.
grafika png

I also implemented the charging beam next to the engines, and the charge level on the flashlight on top.

link for new video - https://youtu.be/37-18APMvmc

Sorry for my English.

Regards
KW
Oh, please upload that sound mod. That torpedo sounds is so good.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 am

@Mark_Farlander
@Jaeven

I will make it available, but first I need to find where I got them. My sound library contains over 1000 sounds (EFX) from Star Wars and some of them are from official sources, which unfortunately I can't publish. But I'll check what can be done. Of course, you can always rip from a video :-)

Please be patient.
Regards
KW

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 am
  • What's up with the radar scopes? It looks like they close up like flowers with the s-foils? It seems kind of superfluous to me (and possibly even harmful, since you lose use of your scopes while the s-foils are closed), but I'm curious how you did it (and why). It's not the kind of mesh animation I know how to do with s-foil rotary wings.
How is it possible I didn't notice this thing? THIS IS AWFUL!
Radar scopes closing.gif
Sorry if I'm a bit rude, but really I hardly see radars "closing" that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 am

I think radars closing like that might have sense if they were holographics radars.
But in that case they should be light blue colored just like holographics buoys.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue May 12, 2020 2:23 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 am
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 am
How is it possible I didn't notice this thing? THIS IS AWFUL!
Radar scopes closing.gif

Sorry if I'm a bit rude, but really I hardly see radars "closing" that way.
Don't be an arse.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 12, 2020 2:29 am

Mark_Farlander wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 am
I think radars closing like that might have sense if they were holographics radars.
But in that case they should be light blue colored just like holographics buoys.
No. Radars absolutely need to stay black for 2 reasons:
1. Radars only display purple (family), blue (neutral), red (Empire), green (Alliance) and gold (generic hostile) dots, so if you have blue radars then you cannot see blue dots.
2. Black radars in general give you more contrast vs dots displayed than any colored radars.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 am

Comparing those 2 videos on YouTube (X-Wing Alliance - Mission test 2 - May 2020 vs X-Wing Alliance - Mission test 1 - May 2020) there is a change I don't understand.

In Mission test 1 the shield recharge power indicator is near the shield percentage indicator. This is really a nice idea.
The only thing I would adjust is the length of those yellow bars: I would make them all of the same length.
InkedMission test 1_LI.jpg

In Mission test 2 why was the shield recharge power indicator removed from that place to reposition it near the cannon recharge power indicator?
InkedMission test 2_LI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 12, 2020 3:26 am

Forgive me if I'm always criticizing this project, but I see great potential here. The Force is strong in this place.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:27 am

To be honest I like all parts of this cockpit.

Expecially the crosshair that is squared like xwing.

For my opinion can be a good idea apply the some concept to the other cockpits.

Very good job !!!!

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Tue May 12, 2020 3:26 pm

This cockpit is still work in progress, any advise are welcome.
Here is the last iteration. Little change for the sensor.
Normal flight sensor.
jpg to url online

Combat mode sensor

Regards
KW