I don't remember XWA being that damn hard...

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: I don't remember XWA being that damn hard...

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:03 am

Or more simply, rather than digging, its in the XWAU 1.6/DSUCP 2.6 patches sticky along with a bunch of others.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12236

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:19 pm

I was struggling with the mission where you rescue Aeron from the Mining Base.. No matter how many times I tried it, a never ending swarm of tie bombers would come after me and there was just no way to target and shoot down all of the incoming missiles.

I was starting to get frustrated... and very tempted to see if I could skip the mission... When I had an idea.

Upon first hypering into the area... I set myself on an upward 45º trajectory towards the base... This has the effect of taking you far up and over the ISD's and the Bombers they are launching. You can then angle back down towards the base and dock, whilst they start to close in on you... Then repeat the same thing... shunt all power to the engines and blast out of there as quick as possible... never letting the bombers get within range to launch.

It's possible to complete the mission without firing a shot.

I think that's the first time I've ever completed it... I may have skipped it last time... but last time I never had a HOTAS joystick to play with... man I bought that thing JUST for this game and I don't care how much it cost... it was worth it.

I've also gone back and played Elite Dangerous for the first time in a few years too with it... and I never knew X-Wing Virtual Machine was a thing until I discovered that recently too... Now I'm kinda moist from the excitement of being able to play the original with modern graphics.... I want them all done... TF and XvT. :)

alienpickle
Recruit

Post by alienpickle » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:36 am

I just got things modded up and working... then I tried playing the early mission where you have to kill the convoy of container transports. Those things ate all the AI Y-wings in seconds, shot down every proton torp I shot at them, and blew my shields out in about 3 hits. My god, nope.

Is there a way to keep the visual upgrade but revert the alteration of fire rate and weapon damage on the ships? I'd like to play the game as Wessman intended but pretty. Don't give me the "git gud" answer please. I just want to know if there's some way to turn down the damage and/or fire rate on ships to get the missions back to original feel. I'm inexperienced with opt editing, so I'm not sure what got changed in the ship opts that made them this way. I would assume the visual difference and the respec on the weapons aren't totally interdependent.

I saw where there was a link to some patch that specifically turned the container transports down, but that link was removed due to installer issues. Ideally, I'd like to roll all the altered damage stats back to vanilla.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:45 am

Did you install the Container Transport model that is available on the downloads page as a single install? The one that comes with 1.6 is overpowered and makes this particular mission very hard.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

alienpickle
Recruit

Post by alienpickle » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm

I did install it. I noticed a slight change but the thing still shreds me. It feels like the thing has triple the number of turrets it used to, or something. I'm trying to find some angle to approach the thing from that it can't just splat me continuously. Currently my strategy of double front shields, corkscrewing approach and taking snap shots with quad cannons isn't getting it done. Seems to drop me in about 4 hits.

I feel like the Empire has really wasted its resources on Star Destroyers when it could have fielded a fleet of container transports and crushed the rebellion in a week.

So, what can I edit that will alter the rate of fire and damage done by that thing?

ttenor12
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ttenor12 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:27 am

alienpickle wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm
I did install it. I noticed a slight change but the thing still shreds me. It feels like the thing has triple the number of turrets it used to, or something. I'm trying to find some angle to approach the thing from that it can't just splat me continuously. Currently my strategy of double front shields, corkscrewing approach and taking snap shots with quad cannons isn't getting it done. Seems to drop me in about 4 hits.

I feel like the Empire has really wasted its resources on Star Destroyers when it could have fielded a fleet of container transports and crushed the rebellion in a week.

So, what can I edit that will alter the rate of fire and damage done by that thing?
Bro I'm on the same boat, I can't complete this mission. I had a similar issue with the Rebel Rendezvous mission, tried 20 times and couldn't complete it, I had to uninstall the mod and once I completed the mission, I installed it again, once the mod was uninstalled, I completed the mission in the first try. Installed the mod back and I'm back having this issue on this mission again :/

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:12 am

Please take a look at this thread. I put up a modified mission which may help for Convoy Attack
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=12724
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost