Share your archived Non-SW Custom OPT files

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Share your archived Non-SW Custom OPT files

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:30 pm

There used to be large numbers of websites dedicated to the game, some of which had custom-made OPT files for ships and fighters from other milieus, most notably Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers. These web sites are no longer around, a lot of those old files are lost to history unless you happen to have them in your personal archives.

Rules permitting, I'd like for this thread to be a place where people can post what they have available, and / or what they are looking for in terms of old files or even files they'd like to see, on the off chance someone has them or something similar. I'm willing to package up and email copies of my archived files to other modders (through PMs), and hopefully others are willing to do the same.

Just to be clear, this is not for the purpose of pirating the work of those that have gone before, or anything like that. Exchange of old files would be strictly for personal use. In most cases with the old files I have, I don't have any author info- all I can say is that they aren't my work.

What I'm looking for:

1. Any completed (non-beta) OPT file versions of Hawk's starfighter
2. Any OPTs at all (finished or Beta) of Buck Rogers Draconian vessels
3. Any OPT's from the modern version of BSG.
4. Any OPT's from Yukikaze, Macross/Robotech, Freespace, or Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato
5. For General Trageton specifically, any of your retired (even if older) Dhilani craft. (They make for awesome substitute Draconians in a pinch!)

What I have:

See links below.

And although this thread is for non-SW stuff, two other SW files I have that I haven't seen anywhere else recently are Anakin's blue, modified Jedi Starfighter (from the original CW cartoon, I think) and Mara Jade's 'Shrike' from Mysteries of the Sith.

Also, if anyone is interested, I generated sound files for a BSG TC I did years ago, with sounds for TOS BSG craft, flybys, weapons, and explosions. I haven't messed with it in years but the Wave/Fe_High_Res folder I made is still completely intact and usable if someone were to want to use it in their own TC or custom missions. The cool thing is that TOS BSG and Buck Rogers shared a ton of the same sound effects and models, so if you are making custom missions related to those old shows, they are awesomely interchangeable.

Anyway, post 'em if you got 'em! :D

NOTE: Mods, if this thread is a TOS violation in any form, please kill it forthwith.

EDIT: Mediafire links temporarily removed due to replacement files in work.
Last edited by jmarso on Wed May 13, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Well since all non-vanilla OPTs out there are fan-made by definition I see no reason to close the topic down.
Mind me I'll be moving it to the Pilots lounge as it's not related to the XWA Upgrade Project.

Have you checked Jefe Picaro's Archive site? He may still have some of the older OPTs.

As for the Dhilani craft, gimme some time to dig them up :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Well, I can now scratch a textured OPT of BR Starfighter off the "What I'm looking for" list and add it to the "What I have list."

I can also add a 'finished' version of the Buck Rogers Draconian Marauder, sometimes known as the 'Hatchet Fighter.'

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm

I've gotta sort out a lot of old Opts but don't think I had any of those.

Where can you get the Buck Rogers ones from?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:26 pm

I basically made it from a model I downloaded for free off of CGTrader. If you PM me an email address I can send you an archive of opt files with that, plus all the old BSG stuff I have, and what not. Most of the old web pages I downloaded stuff from are dead now, and I'm not even sure who most of the authors were. For that reason I won't post them anywhere public; like I said in the OP, they are for personal use until such time as those permissions can be obtained, if ever.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:34 pm

jmarso wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:26 pm
I basically made it from a model I downloaded for free off of CGTrader. If you PM me an email address I can send you an archive of opt files with that, plus all the old BSG stuff I have, and what not. Most of the old web pages I downloaded stuff from are dead now, and I'm not even sure who most of the authors were. For that reason I won't post them anywhere public; like I said in the OP, they are for personal use until such time as those permissions can be obtained, if ever.
Nice. One thing I've not done is make an Opt. My brother made the first V38 Fighter years ago.
Thanks for the offer but right now I've still gotta sort all the ones I have anyway lol Might take you up on it later.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Hey, post a list of what you've got!!

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:47 pm

For giggles, here are some screens of some of the stuff I've been tinkering with.

This first one was another free model download off the internet; it came as an untextured fbx file which I imported into Blender and textured. (Texturing is my new course of self-study along with basic modelling.) Tools used included Blender for the actual shading, GIMP and Paint (mostly the former) for texture editing. From Blender I export as a wavefront OBJ/MTL file; sometimes you have to tweak the MTL file a bit to make it all work right. Then import it all into XWA OPT editor to scale it, add hard points and engine glows, and then save as an opt. Last step is to drop it into the FlightModels folder, paste in a copy to rename as the exterior.opt file, and then use MXvTED to build the ship's stats and weapons and such in game. I've been on a steep learning curve the past few weeks; y'all are a huge help when it comes to questions about this stuff.

First offering is called the 'Eagle', based on the name of the model This craft is modeled as sort of an assault gunboat equivalent:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Two versions of the SA-43 from SAAB; One Navy, one Marine. These textures need a lot of work and I've learned quite a bit since I did these, so I'll definitely be revisiting them for improvements. The model itself is almost a little too detailed in terms of polys, but it was hard enough just finding this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:01 am

The Navy version

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:29 am

I think this one is from Wing Commander. The F-95? I'm not sure- I never played Wing Commander. Cool looking model, though. I haven't been able to find a good model of the VF-25F or VF-19 from Macross that will successfully port into XWA OPT Editor, so this is a poor man's substitute.
Screenshot (36).png
Screenshot (34).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 am

Screenshot (34).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 am

The following set of shots are all BSG ships. These aren't the old OPT's, but new ones I made from models found online. All of these came textured- there's no way I could have done them all like this. It was always a conversion to OBJ/MTL through Blender, then an import into XWA OPT Editor. I have some other models that wouldn't import; for whatever reason, XWA OPT editor sees boolean errors or something like that. Bottom line is that some of these work, and some don't. Everything pictured here is a success story- the pics are of the OPT versions.
Screenshot (37).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 am

The ill-fated Olympic Carrier from nuBSG.
Screenshot (38).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:45 am

Alternate texture for the Olympic Carrier. I was NOT the one who mispelled 'Galactic'. ;)
Screenshot (39).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:46 am

Starclipper
Screenshot (40).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:47 am

Viper MK VII

Screenshot (42).png
Screenshot (41).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:49 am

I goofed. One of those screens is the Colonial Bomber. It must be fan made because I don't remember ever seeing it on TV.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:50 am

Colonial One.
Screenshot (44).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:52 am

Colonial Tube Ship
Screenshot (45).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 am

Fleet Tender Celestra. This is one case where I actually like the older OPT (not pictured) a lot better, due to it's game-friendly hangar setup.
Screenshot (46).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 am

Freighter Gemini. Someone (or entity) going by the moniker Coxxon did almost all these textures. These look great.
Screenshot (47).png
Last edited by jmarso on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 am

Last but not least (for now), ye olde Mineral Ship, featured in both old and new series (as a lot of the fleet ships were).
Screenshot (48).png

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Those are great. Nice work.
I like the new cylon raider. Blowing that up in an X-wing could be cool.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I thought the title of this topic was "Share your archived Non-SW Custom OPT files"

Yet I don't see any links to download those opts, strange!!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station