Share your archived Non-SW Custom OPT files

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Share your archived Non-SW Custom OPT files

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:00 pm

General_Trageton wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am
I will open it with the release of the VSD, which I believe should be sometime within the next month or so, to give you a rough ETA.
Welp, that settles that. See you in five years. ;)

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:00 pm
General_Trageton wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am
I will open it with the release of the VSD, which I believe should be sometime within the next month or so, to give you a rough ETA.
Welp, that settles that. See you in five years. ;)
Oh shush you! :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:15 am

Couple more. Chiggy von Richtofen from SAAB:
Screenshot (63).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:16 am

The Orion shuttle from 2001, A Space Odyssey:
Screenshot (64).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 pm

ISSCV transport from Space, Above and Beyond
Screenshot (65).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Screenshot (66).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:14 pm

The Saratoga from SAAB. As usual, the self-texturing is rudimentary at best. I'm getting good at markings and decals but the base skin textures are a massive struggle. I downloaded the trial version of photoshop 2020 and may play some with that, although GIMP seems to do just about all the same stuff for free.

She is no Colonial Battlestar, that's for sure. :/
Screenshot (68).png
Last edited by jmarso on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Screenshot (69).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Screenshot (70).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 am

Okay, I've gotten some of these opt files packaged up and uploaded to mediafire. Links below:

Buck Rogers starfighter and Draconian Marauder: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vzaguo0mx ... WA.7z/file

Recent BSG conversions: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ez430suu ... WA.7z/file

Miscellaneous non-canon opt files: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b8f1hw7em ... WA.7z/file

Older BSG opt files: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bzo5zl878 ... WA.7z/file

I'll put them in the OP as well. The Space Above and Beyond ones I'll package up when I'm done tinkering with the Saratoga.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:15 am

Couple more of the Sara. Decimated the geometry down to about 40% of the starting point; more than that and weird things started to happen. Added little rotary gun mounts to where the hard points are so the opt has targetable cannons. Finally got the durn guns firing. About done with this one.
Screenshot (81).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:15 am

Screenshot (80).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:21 am

Another free model that I chopped a bunch of stuff off, then knocked the vertex count down by 50%. This is the 'Terran Destroyer,' meant to be a screening vessel for a strike force in some Earth-centric TC I'm mulling over. Two torpedo tubes on the bow, one missile tube on the stern, and (counting the mirroring), 30 turbolaser hardpoints scattered around the hull to bring grief to attacking fighters or conducting squadron-level attacks against larger capital ships. I have her scaled in-game at 500m.

This one is giving me a bit of heartburn. It's the first opt where I manually massaged the hit zones because it felt like collisions were happening too far out from the hull. They still happen a bit too far, and when they do the meshes of your fighter and the destroyer get tangled up. No damage is recorded but you slowly get sucked inside the larger mesh like quicksand, all to the crescendo of the collision sound effects. Not sure what is causing this on this mode; I haven't seen that glitch on any of the others. You can play around it as long as you keep a bit of distance, but it is a showstopper if it happens as you can't escape the entanglement no matter what you do- you just have to quit the mission and restart.

If anyone knows what the issue might be, I'd appreciate a tip.
Screenshot (78).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:21 am

Screenshot (79).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Redid the Cheyenne. Textures still suck but I couldn't even stand to look at the first version.

Added an ion cannon as well.
Screenshot (82).png
Last edited by jmarso on Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Screenshot (83).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Screenshot (84).png

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 pm

jmarso wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:21 am
This one is giving me a bit of heartburn. It's the first opt where I manually massaged the hit zones because it felt like collisions were happening too far out from the hull. They still happen a bit too far, and when they do the meshes of your fighter and the destroyer get tangled up. No damage is recorded but you slowly get sucked inside the larger mesh like quicksand
This is really a shot in the dark, but does anyone know if it's possible for the hit zone surface normals to be inverted? Normally, when you collide with something, provided you don't die, you get bounced away a bit. But if the normal were inverted, could you instead be sucked in?

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Is there a way to invert hit zone normals? I can give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm

I don't think so. If you spawn inside a larger ship and "break through" it registers a collision but lets you pass through.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:45 pm

jmarso wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:14 pm
The Saratoga from SAAB.
Boy, I remember doing a very poor model of this one back in the day... I wonder if it's still out there... :shock:
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:09 am

Well, almost come full circle here. This model is a concept F-52 I downloaded off of CADNAV and was my first attempt at using Blender. I masticated the hell out of it and didn't know that faces had to be triangulated to port an OBJ to an OPT, so I couldn't get it to work anyway.

Started fresh with it today after a few weeks of using Blender, with much better results. I'm going to use this as an 'alternate' version of the F-95 Morningstar; I'll probably use one or the other in any given TC, but not both together. Both have their charms but I kind of like this one better, and was able to preserve most of the texturing it came with. I did do a little remodeling on this puppy, particularly around the tail. Mostly it involved shifting some vertex groups. Gave it three rebel lasers in the nose, one ion cannon, SLAM, and a pair of concussion missile launchers. This one is meant to be a raw interceptor / dogfighter.

This model also has a transparent canopy- something I sort of grasp how to do but haven't done on my own yet. The interior cockpit was wiped out during my remodel, in order to get the face / vertex count down to something usable. They were extremely detailed, and may be of some use later for a custom cockpit.
Screenshot (85).png
Last edited by jmarso on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:09 am

Screenshot (86).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:10 am

Screenshot (87).png

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:21 am

I think I'm about done making new OPTs for the time being except for one more: I'm going to take a stab at modeling a space carrier from scratch. Most of the concept models I've seen on line don't fall in line with what I'm envisioning, cost money, or are unavailable. I wanted to mod the carrier from Call of Duty Infinite Warfare but I can find a 3d model of it anywhere to download. Blender is a pretty happening piece of software, but anything I do from scratch is probably going to be pretty raw, especially this first time out. I'll post a picture of the end product when it's done, and then I plan to take some of these ships and start working on some form of TC based roughly on Space, Above and Beyond, but with its own storyline.