Death Star Trench Run VR

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Death Star Trench Run VR

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat May 09, 2020 9:24 am

I've found this video published on May the Fourth by Dylan Stout at University of Utah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFaFUmAe2M
The cockpit graphics sucks (we have much higher standards) and models in general are not that great, but it's still quite a nice project.

Sensors are Rogue Squadron-like and there is no CMD displaying target main stats. Many X-Wing Alliance goodies are missing.
The Battle of Yavin is divided in 3 stages here, just like in "The Arcade Game" (1983) and Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (2001).

Let me know your impressions.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sat May 09, 2020 9:49 am

During the first stage of the battle it is not clear whether the player is really trying to approach the Death Star or he is just protecting the planet Yavin from incoming TIE Fighters.
As for the sensor readings they are clearly ehm... locked? And those red brackets indicating enemies are inside the cockpit itself. That's awful.
Also, I do not see any info about your shields and hull.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 am

I guess this project is a sort of experiment more than a "game". I don't think the developers had in mind something near the complexity of X-Wing Alliance.
That said, if I were you I would complain more about the final scene. There are 4 X-Wing squadrons and 4 Y-Wing squadrons for a total of 96 fighters.
The Battle of Yavin only saw 30 Alliance fighters in action. 27 of them were destroyed in the battle.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 am

Depend on the canon, in the original EU, it was acknowledged that there were more fighters and survivors, mostly because the others squadrons(green and blue, who were composed mostly of X-wings with a few R-22) were acting on secondary objectives, such as attacking the superlaser itself, in an attempt to at least delay the worst case scenario and give more time for the main attack to succeed. That said, in Disney Canon, there were only 32 fighters, Gold and Red attacking with Green Squadrons giving support.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat May 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Interesting. It's not that different from what Blue Max is doing for VR. Except that the quality is very different.
This video reminds me that my Death Star project is in advanced WIP, but it has been stopped for too long. I need to find the time to work on it!
Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 am
Depend on the canon, in the original EU, it was acknowledged that there were more fighters and survivors, mostly because the others squadrons(green and blue, who were composed mostly of X-wings with a few R-22) were acting on secondary objectives, such as attacking the superlaser itself, in an attempt to at least delay the worst case scenario and give more time for the main attack to succeed. That said, in Disney Canon, there were only 32 fighters, Gold and Red attacking with Green Squadrons giving support.
These secondary objectives could be the core of a new Death Star campaign for XWA...

szoreny
Cadet 4th Class

Post by szoreny » Sat May 09, 2020 2:10 pm

I've had this downloaded for awhile but yet to try it on my Index - due to how badly my system handles XWA these days even in 2D - I think I'll be waiting til Xwvm for my Star Wars VR fix!

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat May 09, 2020 3:08 pm

DTM wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:01 pm
Death Star campaign for XWA...
Sounds great!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 09, 2020 4:39 pm

DTM wrote:
Interesting. It's not that different from what Blue Max is doing for VR. Except that the quality is very different.
This video reminds me that my Death Star project is in advanced WIP, but it has been stopped for too long. I need to find the time to work on it!
Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 am
These secondary objectives could be the core of a new Death Star campaign for XWA...
If you do make progress on it I have some files that can be used to enhance the mission ;)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:45 pm

DTM wrote:
I could see that, combining part of the movie, of the X-Wing Game and the Rebel Assault game all togethers for that

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Don't forget Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. It's the game with the closest Death Star mission design to this video.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 09, 2020 5:12 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm
Don't forget Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. It's the game with the closest Death Star mission design to this video.
That only came out on the Gamecube didn't it? :( Never got a chance to play it.
Wonder if there's a emulated version.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sat May 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Dolphin can emulate the game, but it’s notoriously super-hard to emulate because it used a lot of tricks to get the most of the console. The Dolphin devs have now managed to emulate all of said tricks, but the result is that you need an overclocked monster of a CPU to run the game smoothly.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:30 pm

I have a Ryzen 2700X and I can emulate it correctly with Dolphin...I think that it would be possible to run it without much problems with a Ryzen R5 3600 (which is seen as the best value for gaming nowadays)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 pm

I think I got space sick watching the start of that video.
Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:30 pm
I have a Ryzen 2700X and I can emulate it correctly with Dolphin...I think that it would be possible to run it without much problems with a Ryzen R5 3600 (which is seen as the best value for gaming nowadays)
I have an I7, 32gb, GTX 970. Will upgrade my gfx at xmas. Surely that can run stuff? lol
Anyone got a link to it etc that would be cool. I've had mixed results getting emulators working.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:42 pm

For the emulator : https://dolphin-emu.org/?nocr=true

For anything else, PM me