Legacy of the Happy

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Legacy of the Happy

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Sun May 03, 2020 3:43 am

Awesome!

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 am

Anybody remember the days when HAPPY threads would die after 30+ pages? Ah memories! :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 am

General_Trageton wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 am
Anybody remember the days when HAPPY threads would die after 30+ pages? Ah memories! :D
Ah yes, the good old times of the crappy ubb forum. Lost a lot of really good threads due to that though :( But those sure seem like simpler times now...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am

Are you sure those threads are lost? If I access the old happy threads (with the exception of the original Happy, which I can't find) they all seem to work fine now. You could probably unlock them and just keep on posting. So that would probably count for any other older threads, too. I see your oldest post is from 1999 so it might just be a matter of searching long and hard....

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Nah, at some point I had to prune the forum. While I tried to keep as much as possible and I don't think I pruned the xwa upgrade main forum, many threads in the pilots lounge were lost. UBB just couldn't handle the amount of threads and posts. The original happy was one that got lost, but plenty more had to be deleted :(

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Ah ok

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:10 pm

What is dead may never die!

I'm so happy to see so many people here that I remember. It's wild.
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:44 am

All threads must die :D

Sorry, beat me to it

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm

[mod=General_Trageton]Don't mind me, just testing...[/mod]

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm

General_Trageton wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm
[mod=General_Trageton]Don't mind me, just testing...[/mod]
Yeah, you can't use ' either unfortunately...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:55 pm

By royal decree of ... someone ..., this thread has been rehabilitated and is no longer banished to the dark and gloomy abyss of the Admin Test Center. Move along.
- General_Trageton

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Well, I finally did it - the new joystick is here and my DVD drive screams as it installs the game.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Ow, my arm.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm

Out of practice? XD

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 am

General_Trageton wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm
Out of practice? XD
Not as much as you might think. The muscle memory is all there, and the twitch skills haven't degraded as much as I'd feared. Gunnery skill is surprisingly sharp, after a couple of melee's I was back to snap shooting TIE Fighters surprisingly quickly, it was melee four before I was dialled back into power management but yeah, overall pretty good.

Just need to remember to keep a light hand on the stick.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 am

The new game has had quite an effect on my original group, as well, and I'll be very involved, but not actually playing. It's the wrong team's reference (Yankees, rather than Red Sox, for me), but I had my Susan Waldman/Roger Clemens moment tonight on our new Discord server. :D
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am

Forceflow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 pm
Nah, at some point I had to prune the forum. While I tried to keep as much as possible and I don't think I pruned the xwa upgrade main forum, many threads in the pilots lounge were lost. UBB just couldn't handle the amount of threads and posts. The original happy was one that got lost, but plenty more had to be deleted :(
There's the Wayback Machine, too, at http://www.archive.org :D

My group may make use of it for "legacy content" :wink:

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:56 am

WildstarBlue9 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am
Forceflow wrote:

I'm considering engaging in some multiplayer dogfights in a few weeks. I have no idea how good I am these days. At 33 I'm definitely past my prime in terms of twitch reflex but I think (hope) there's still a fair bit of gas in the tank. The old X-Wing players need to get our proverbial together so we don't get totally embarrassed by the new generation.

Also, shocking realisation - it's been over twenty years since I started flying X-Wings - I've literally been doing it longer 9with a break) than the Clone Wars era pilots fighting for the Rebellion.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:16 pm

BattleDog wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:56 am
WildstarBlue9 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am
Forceflow wrote:

I'm considering engaging in some multiplayer dogfights in a few weeks. I have no idea how good I am these days. At 33 I'm definitely past my prime in terms of twitch reflex but I think (hope) there's still a fair bit of gas in the tank. The old X-Wing players need to get our proverbial together so we don't get totally embarrassed by the new generation.

Also, shocking realisation - it's been over twenty years since I started flying X-Wings - I've literally been doing it longer 9with a break) than the Clone Wars era pilots fighting for the Rebellion.
The legend who (re)joined us the other night is much older, so we'll see how it goes. But he was the best guy I knew. Still holds our official "mineracing" (X-Wing's Historical Simulation #3 for the X-wing, "Satellites Near Coruscant", by the mission clock) record with 7:36 (that's the two TRNs, 16 mines, and four SATs in :24), and that's documented because you had to submit the film clip (CLP file) of the entire mission. Was great MP, as well, as he retired as our XvT ladder champion, losing maybe one or two matches in its entire run.

Before he showed up, I'd been using the goat emoji on our private social media presence (Facebook & Discord) in reference to him. The reference is the acronym (GOAT = Greatest Of All Time), which I've been familiar with here in New England in reference to our former quarterback, Tom Brady. :D

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:23 am

Forceflow, would you, by any chance, still have my original Blue 9 emblem in the avatar library? I could probably use it on Discord. :)

{EDIT}Took matters into my own (or, more properly, the group's) hands. This post may be deleted, if possible. :D
Last edited by WildstarBlue9 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:58 am

I don't venture into the realm of graphic arts much, but I decided I wanted to revert to my original Blue 9 crest for Discord, at least for now. The original one, done for the CRS Morning Star website, was irretrievably (?) lost, but one of the guys on the clan Discord did a new one for me based on the original concept, and I decided to use it here, too. I did have to play with it in Paint for the forums, but I hope you guys like this bit of "history." :)

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:06 am

Are those rank pips on it?

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 am

No, BD, that's the slot number nine in one of the Star Wars fonts out there. I'll have to ask the guy who did the replica which one.

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 pm

Clan website development hit a huge snag when I found out many plugins refused to install. PHP may be out of date on our server, so we'll see, but I also can't seem to load anything in Elementor, and I can't even show a basic "Under Construction" page I did myself, being stuck w/ the default WordPress page.

The good news is that I found one of our most popular members. This person has been a little PC-weary, however, but hopes to be around this weekend.

The website stall gave me a chance to take a look at my bowling website and overhaul it, which you can have a look at the results for on https://tenthboard.net 😁

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:11 pm

New avatar, but not really. This is the original, which can only mean one thing: Vape is back with my fleet. 😎

I should update real life stuff, too, I suppose. I kind of took an extended absence from these forums to get bowling stuff going again, and that got started by saying goodbye to a few friends who moved to Florida so the son (one of the friends) could bowl for a high school and train with one of the world's top coaches at a world-class facility in the central part of that state. That didn't happen without finally getting to cross (bowl) with them, however. 😁

My house's leagues may be smaller, but I'm more involved than ever this year, as, in addition to bowling in my own league, I'm running brackets (a form of side pool that you really need a laptop to run) for the big Thursday league, and I'm also serving as secretary of the Monday night Pepsi league while their regular secretary takes a year's leave of absence. There's financial compensation involved with the latter two, meaning I'll be able to slowly build my gaming PC (as Vape talked me into doing instead of saving up for a pre-build).