How do I instally XWA on Win7 64?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

How do I instally XWA on Win7 64?

Itkovian
Recruit

Post by Itkovian » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Salutations.

After many years I felt the need to play XWA again (using the upgrades for the first time, in fact), but it would seem that I have been defeated by Windows 7.

Basically, setup.exe says that it is incompatible with the 64 bit environment of Win7 64.

Is there a way to get around this problem?

Thank you.

Itkovian

Itkovian
Recruit

Post by Itkovian » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Looks like my search-fu failed me once again. found solution in the fact (I did look before, must have missed it).

That said, is there a simpler solution than the rather convoluted one mentionned in:

http://www.markusegger.at/Software/XwaM ... tions.html

?

Thank you.

Itkovian

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:51 pm

You'll also need to follow the sticked thread (common graphics problems) at the top of this sub-forum after install to solve the corruption you'll most likely get.

efenstephen
Recruit

Post by efenstephen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 am

I dont get it... how does the image file magicly apear?? I am stuck.. I have win 7 64bit, some one PLEASE fill in the blanks for me.

so I
do somthing rather with 05 visual C++ and windows installer, wich comes with windows pro anyway right? so why would I have to Download it?
insert XWA cd 1
Extract all files on cd to folder named XWA_DISK_1 on hard drive
then I look for the 4 new files that appear?? the fact is, IDK what to do with Visual C or the windows installer

acdc73
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by acdc73 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:17 am

I know this has been asked a few times and everybody says to use the installer at markusegger.at. I did this and it installed, but when i try to run the game I get a message "over here!" and then "Please reinstall X-Wing Alliance from the orignal CD and try again." It sounds like a copyright thing but I copied all the files straight from the disk, so I really don't know what to do from here.

Thanks for any help at all.

EDIT: That is going to be just simply impossible to do, I'm getting error messages at every turn. Now my question is: Can I run XWA in a virtual machine such as Virtual Box?

acdc73
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by acdc73 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:52 am

I'm having a big problem with this too, I can't even dowload that installer. If you find a better way, please message me =p

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:07 pm

The guide is a little miss leading if not totally clear at first I found when doing the XvT installers. All the tools and components are packaged in the MSI you downloaded including the zip utility (for XvT & BoP installs), this is the bit I found not very clear in the guide. You don't need to bother with the Windows Installer 3.1 redist or Visual C++ on Windows 7, they're already there. The four files you're expecting to appear are packaged in the MSI you downloaded off his site, you need to run it first to extract the missing components that actually make up the finished install for XWA.

I've got it working here fine on Win 7 Pro 64 bit using just the downloaded MSI and the retail CDs.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am

VPR, or anyone else who's got it running on Win7, have you guys poked around with the registry settings for the games? On XP there were several values including an "InstallPath" value located in HKLM. On my Win7 install (using Markus' installers) they're in HKCU but now there's only a single value relating the MSI, and none of the normal values even after first run. Is this just a side effect of the installer, or does Win7 handle it differently? I need those registry values to locate the install directories for several of my programs, I don't know of any other way to locate them.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 am

JaggedFel wrote:On my Win7 install (using Markus' installers) they're in HKCU but now there's only a single value relating the MSI, and none of the normal values even after first run. Is this just a side effect of the installer ...
Seems to be so, I only have MsiShortcutsInstalled DWord value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software for XvT, I've not installed XWA yet. I've been through the other HKEYs but there's nothing else related in them to XvT or BoP.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat May 08, 2010 2:27 am

Well, don't have the original keys, but decided to go through InstallShield and see if that worked. Found the registry keys for the install properties, and in there there's a "Readme" string that's simply "%InstallPath%\README.txt", but expanded. The full key for the W7 location is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\%PLATFORM%\InstallProperties\

%PLATFORM% values:
TIE95 - 827E0C88FBFF8D041883F40BA9D4D61B
BoP - A72CBF0823BFF794FAECEB28705460B6
XWA - 07EF8DA753A1C294A98A9E9F1C380304

Not exactly what I was hoping to find, but enough for a program to find the install directory.

If someone can confirm those hex codes that'd be great, and posting XvT without the BoP install would be nice for completion's sake.
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri May 21, 2010 1:07 am

Has anybody tried to check these yet?

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Okay, I realize now that trying to do this from the GUID is stupid, as that's machine specific :P

VPR, you said you used the installer for XvT. Is that vanilla XvT, or BoP as well? Hiding in the InstallProperties subdirectory for every platform is a DisplayName value that'll be something like "Star Wars: X. v. T.", "Star Wars: X. C. S. - Xwing v TIE Fighter", etc. Since I installed BoP, I don't have an entry for XvT by itself so I don't have the exact name. If nobody has plain XvT, I'll just do a few uninstalls/reinstalls to get the name. I've got a program that'll find the right keys if anyone wants to help.

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:39 pm

I installed both but obviously BoP overwrites the XvT entry I guess.

On another note I'd been getting really sloppy framerates during gameplay so messing around with the compatibility tab and ticking the following options seemed to clear it up.

Code: Select all

Disable visual themes
Disable desktop composition
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
I also run as an administrator as I was getting wierd behaviour with pilot files, obviously if you turn UAC off or install the game outside of any system folders (protected by UAC) you don't need to worry about this. This also covers editors such as XvTED where you need to write to the games directory.

inglispitinglis
Recruit

Post by inglispitinglis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 pm

somebody can put here key to key how really it works in win7 64?
please¿

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:55 pm

You need to d/l that MSI installer package from the site mentioned previously and run it...the installer will prompt you for the CD, which is still required.

Edit: Linking the site again below, just in case.

http://www.markusegger.at
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:16 am

The installer works perfectly. A big thank you to the people who made it. :gott: :2thumbs:
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."