TFTC/XWC Do Not Work

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

TFTC/XWC Do Not Work

Primigenia
Recruit

Post by Primigenia » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:16 pm

I've posted here before with issues that have been worked out, either with much appreciated help form other users, or that I simply figured out myself. Unfortunately, I've reached a point where I have neither the patience or the the slightest clue on how to make things work. Both XWC and TFTC fail to install properly. I've made them work before, but can't now.

I had three Xwing Alliance folders in my Lucasarts folder. One was for the original game, the second for XWC, and the third for TFTC. The TFTC install went to crap, so I ended up in my confusion installing it to the XWC folder. Since the XWC was already installed, this created issues such as a visual TIE briefing with XWA audio briefing over it.

I have repeatedly installed these mods to separate folders with error after error. Precisely following the instructions in the downloads has resulted only in me spending more hours manually moving files and folders around to make the damn mods work, than I have spent playing them. At this point, I can't even begin to remember what I've done to make things work in the past.

My request is this: That someone please post or PM clear, accurate directions on how to install TFTC and XWC in separate folders in a manner that will make them work. Maybe I'm just too simple-minded, but again I have followed the install directions precisely, and the only times I have been able to play these mods without crashes or errors is when I have completely disregarded the instructions and manually gone with a trial and error process.

Much thanks in advance. I apologize if the tone of this post is a bit aggressive, but I have put hours of work into making these mods work, and they keep breaking down on me. Thanks again.

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 pm

To fix visual TIE briefing with XWA audio, please use TFTClauncher.exe to start your game as TFTC readme shows.
I will suggest you to start from a clean 2.02 then DSUCP then XWC or TFTC in different folder. There is detail instruction about mutiple XWA installation on my site you can read it.
Please set resolution into 1024x768 first, XWC was widscreen patched. You have to be more specific about what's your error and how it crashed that we can help.

Primigenia
Recruit

Post by Primigenia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm

When I install XWC to the \Lucasarts\X-Wing Alliance folder as directed, it creates a new folder in the X-Wing Alliance folder called XWingAlliance, under which all the XWC files are placed. Installing to \LucasArts creates a XWingAlliance folder next to, rather than in, the original X-Wing Alliance folder. Since it won't install the files on its own with either path, I have to manually move the right files to the right folders, and I've forgotten how I made it work. The best I can remember is that some of the folders (Mission and Music?) have to be deleted before moving the new folders over, whereas the rest can be replaced by copy and pasting and allowing it to only replace the files with the same name.

With TFTC, the mission briefings do not work. I get the XWA briefing audio over the TF visual briefing, and the in-flight voices don't work. I've tried selecting both the TIE95 (correct) and TIECD (incorrect) settings for installation, but despite using the launcher, it doesn't work. I've looked in the \WAVE\Frontend folder with the mod launched, and the only files there are still the original XWA files.

I am running Vista 64-bit, and it seems there was once a fix that was made to specifically copy the briefing files properly, but there's no working link to it anymore. I am also trying to run these after installing DSUCP, and vanilla XWA does work on my machine. (As does Tie Fighter, but I'd rather enjoy it in the XWA engine).

waylon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by waylon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 pm

That is because installation path is different, all you have to do is copy everything into correct directory. Please disable UAC first.
TFTC audio thing as my last post, use launcher to start the game, if you start the game normally, it will search audio file from CDR so you will heard original XWA briefing voices. If you can't find TFTC voice files there, that means something wrong during TFTC installation.
The easiest way is to find a 32-bit system (xp or vista) install everything and copy entire directory into 64-bit system. It works for win 7 x64.

Hook Jezabelle
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Hook Jezabelle » Tue May 26, 2020 6:58 pm

Hello,
5 years later, I'm trying to do the same ... having Xwing missions on XWA ...

I would like to save my XWA version intact with his own "exe" and have a "Xwing 98" version with another one.
I have well duplicate XWA files (which works fine !) FROM "LucasArts/X-wing Alliance" file TO a new one, crated for that purpose, and named "LucasArts/X-Wing Alliance X-wing98" file.
I have extracted the x-wing missions from Waylon's, with the "exe", on a file, and moved them into the "LucasArts/X-Wing Alliance X-wing98" file (also replaced files too of course).

The Xwing98's version launches well : I have the briefing room with the voice and the briefing panels (with no voices as normal). But the game crahes and return to the desk after I lauch the mission.
What have I done wrong please ?
Can you tell me what to do, step by step ?

Many many thanks.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue May 26, 2020 7:40 pm

Hook Jezabelle
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Hook Jezabelle » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 am

Hello,
thanks but none of these tips are working for me.
Game crashes when I launch the mission :(
Any idea ?

Thanks