Use a mouse as a joystick in XWA in 5 minutes (Tutorial)

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Use a mouse as a joystick in XWA in 5 minutes (Tutorial)

starflame
Cadet 4th Class

Post by starflame » Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 am

I thought I'd contribute something to the forum as I'm new here and I didn't see a thread on how to (successfully) add a virtual joystick.

There is a relatively easy way to use a mouse in XWA. I've tested it on multiple platforms, takes about 5 minutes to do it. Here's the instructions:

You will need --- PPJoy driver http://ppjoy.blogspot.mx/2009/11/finall ... rsion.html

Installing the PPJoy driver:

1) If you have Windows 32-bit, after you've downloaded the driver, run the installer.

2) If you have Windows 64-bit, after you've downloaded the driver:

Start button >All Programs >Accessories

Right-click on Command Prompt, and 'Run as administrator' (assuming you have that option)

Type the following, which should enable installation of unsigned drivers: "bcdedit -set testsigning on" (no quotes). You should see "Operation successful". Type exit to close.

Reboot, and confirm that you see "Test Mode" at the bottom RHS after you log in.

Run the installer.

During installation:

If Windows displays a message warning you the driver is unsigned, press 'Continue Anyway'.

If you got a message saying "Your system does not allow unsigned device drivers to be installed", then you've done it wrong.

Avoid the common problems by making sure you are logged in as Administrator or another user with Administrative privileges on the local machine, and confirming system allows the installation of unsigned drivers.

If you still experience problems with the installation, please refer to http://ppjoy.bossstation.dnsalias.org for detailed installation instructions.

Setting up virtual joystick:

3) Now the drivers are installed, go to Control Panel and click on 'Parallel Port Joysticks' to add a virtual joystick (i.e. what your mouse will be). Alternatively, locate to Start button >All Programs >PPJoy Joystick Driver, and click on 'Configure Joysticks'. Need visual help? Someone made a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTerqpvS94.

4) Assuming you have no actual joysticks connected (or you wouldn't be here), click 'Add...' and add yourself a PPJoy Virtual Joystick 1. Click 'Done'.

5) Go to Start button >All Programs >PPJoy Joystick Driver >Virtual Joysticks, and click on 'Mouse joysticks'. As this will be the program you need, go ahead and create a shortcut to desktop for quick access.

6) Make sure you have 'Virtual Joystick 1' (or whatever number you chose) selected in the Joystick device menu, and leave the Gain numbers default (change the Y and Z Gains to zero if you wish as they're not needed anyway for mouse steering). Leave this window open, and keep it open whilst playing the game.

It can be clunky, but it's better than nothing for those who lack joysticks. Have fun!