Direct3D 11 via DDraw.dll

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Re: Direct3D 11 via DDraw.dll

moronmission
Recruit

Post by moronmission » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 am

Whoops nevermind. I just realized I hadn't actually installed the XWAU files. I guess I was just so excited to finally have this thing working that I didn't bother to update the graphics even more. Thanks again for making this!

Darth_Binks
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Darth_Binks » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you for taking time out of what I assume is a great game design career to tinker with this old game Jeremy. I wonder if it is possible to add functionality to a wrapper like yours to give XWA basic bloom/hdr/abient occlusion effects?

Thank you again sir!
Blue Zoidberg: As for me I design mansions and then live in them. I'm lying! I'm an apalling failure!<BR>Red Zoidberg: Me too! A big fat one.<BR>-The Farnsworth Parabox, Futurama

JohnMC
Recruit

Post by JohnMC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:29 pm

Is there any tweaking to settings or whatnot if we are getting slowdown from hit effects on shields? The game isnt the same with that option turned off.

Darth_Binks
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Darth_Binks » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:26 pm

I was able to get that option to run pretty well after using the new ddraw.dll, and bumping back the "use low detail models far" slider a few notches from maximum. Also the config for the ddraw gives you the option to use texture filtering and antialiasing, make sure you are not forcing it again in the control panel for your graphics card.
Blue Zoidberg: As for me I design mansions and then live in them. I'm lying! I'm an apalling failure!<BR>Red Zoidberg: Me too! A big fat one.<BR>-The Farnsworth Parabox, Futurama

JohnMC
Recruit

Post by JohnMC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Ok I'll give it a try...

(EDIT) Ok I checked nvidia controls and they are set to give X-Wing control of both antialiasing and antisoptric filtering, so I tried with both on and off and shield effects still kill framerate. The only thing that slightly worked is to tweak the LOD settings in the game but the whole point of all of this is to make the game look better, not use low detail models up close. I wish there was an option in say.. MXvTED to turn off shield effects on a case by case basis. It only happens on some fighters such as the Y-Wing, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, and Razor fighter that I can remember. Never on anything large.

MGLT
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MGLT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:34 am

Everything works great for me except one big problem, the starfield goes nuts when I use a custom/widescreen resolution. It goes crazy and then pans to the right whenever I stop moving whatever I'm flying. If I use a preset resolution it doesn't happen.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm

holycraplions wrote:Everything works great for me except one big problem, the starfield goes nuts when I use a custom/widescreen resolution. It goes crazy and then pans to the right whenever I stop moving whatever I'm flying. If I use a preset resolution it doesn't happen.
What resolution do you use?
Last edited by JeremyaFr on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Darth_Binks wrote:Thank you for taking time out of what I assume is a great game design career to tinker with this old game Jeremy. I wonder if it is possible to add functionality to a wrapper like yours to give XWA basic bloom/hdr/abient occlusion effects?

Thank you again sir!
Effects like bloom can be added with custom shaders.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Hello,
I have updated the zip package.
The only change is the license.
I have licensed xwa_ddraw_d3d11 under the MIT license.

Here is the release version 1.2:
EDIT: link removed
Last edited by JeremyaFr on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SeraphTC
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by SeraphTC » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:52 am

Jeremy - Thanks so much man! I'd just found a work around (adding an atiumdag.dll from the old compatible driver package to the game folder works for XWA if you have hardware compatible with that version of the ATI drivers), but this is a much, much better solution!!

Absolutely fantastic work man. Thank you!

Is this likely to work for any other games? Dark Forces 2 has a similar problem detecting gfx hardware since the ATI 13.1 package.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:29 am

Jeremy is is it ok for me to rename the license.txt file, just to DDrawLicense.txt so it doesn't conflict with another License.txt files?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:40 pm

SeraphTC wrote:Is this likely to work for any other games? Dark Forces 2 has a similar problem detecting gfx hardware since the ATI 13.1 package.
It contains some code specific to XWA, but it can be adapted or used as a base for other games.
Darksaber wrote:Jeremy is is it ok for me to rename the license.txt file, just to DDrawLicense.txt so it doesn't conflict with another License.txt files?
No problem. It's ok.

SeraphTC
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by SeraphTC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:38 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
SeraphTC wrote:Is this likely to work for any other games? Dark Forces 2 has a similar problem detecting gfx hardware since the ATI 13.1 package.
It contains some code specific to XWA, but it can be adapted or used as a base for other games.
That's good to know - once you're happy with the performance of XWA would you have any interest in looking at adding support for other games?

Sticking with the current theme, X-Wing95, TIE Fighter 95 and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would all benefit from this. Plus, as I mentioned previously, Dark Forces 2 needs a fix (it's practically unplayable in software mode).

Thanks again for your efforts on it so far - it means that when I upgrade my system later in the year I won't have to worry about still being able to play one of my favorite games of all time. Really grateful mate, cheers.

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:42 pm

SeraphTC wrote:
JeremyaFr wrote:
That's good to know - once you're happy with the performance of XWA would you have any interest in looking at adding support for other games?

Sticking with the current theme, X-Wing95, TIE Fighter 95 and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would all benefit from this. Plus, as I mentioned previously, Dark Forces 2 needs a fix (it's practically unplayable in software mode).

Thanks again for your efforts on it so far - it means that when I upgrade my system later in the year I won't have to worry about still being able to play one of my favorite games of all time. Really grateful mate, cheers.
Yes if you could PLEASE take a look at Dark Forces II Jedi Knight / Mysteries of the Sith (expansion) it would be greatly appreciated among the JK community.

Take a look at my thread in this forum
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11227
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

MGLT
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MGLT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:10 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
holycraplions wrote:Everything works great for me except one big problem, the starfield goes nuts when I use a custom/widescreen resolution. It goes crazy and then pans to the right whenever I stop moving whatever I'm flying. If I use a preset resolution it doesn't happen.
What resolution do you use?
1680x1050, I think it's happened with some other resolutions I've tried too.

Thanks for doing this by the way, it's made a big difference, just at the moment I'm forced to play in one of the preset resolutions.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Here is an update.

It fixes the scale of 3d models in concourse (briefing or tech library).

Added:
  • option to set the scale of 3d models in concourse
Last edited by JeremyaFr on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey Jeremy did you know, GOG.com are using your DDraw.dll in there X-Wing Alliance installer?

and thanks for the fix, I was a little annoying before :)

I guess this won't be in the GOG version
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Oh, it is him I can think for this?

Great job man :D

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:01 am

Darksaber wrote:Hey Jeremy did you know, GOG.com are using your DDraw.dll in there X-Wing Alliance installer?

and thanks for the fix, I was a little annoying before :)

I guess this won't be in the GOG version
I know. They have asked permission to do that.

For the fix, I have coded it after I've seen XWA: Extremely oversized 3D models during briefings?. So it is not included in the gog version.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

planning to send it to GoG?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

SeraphTC
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by SeraphTC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks for the update and continuing efforts Jeremy :)

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:planning to send it to GoG?
Sent to GoG.
Their installer is updated.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:07 am

UPDATE
The map screen issue and the starfield issue are caused by xwa_ddraw_d3d11.
A fix will be soon available.

EDIT:
fixed
Last edited by JeremyaFr on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShadowOwl
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by ShadowOwl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:40 am

There's one very small problem I've noticed. During the briefings in concourse the 3D models do no fit with the grid model which is shown shortly before any full 3D model, the 3d models are a bit too small. Couldn't do further testing yet but this is obviously somehow related to the Concourse3DScale value in the ddraw.cfg. The default value doesn't make the models fit with the grid, you might want to change that with your next release.

I will do some tests when I get around to it.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:18 pm

I have fixed the distorded starfield and distorded map grid issues. Need to be tested.