What happened to the ISD I model?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

What happened to the ISD I model?

trippin_
Recruit

Post by trippin_ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi guys!

Recently I bought the GOG version of XWA. I didn't use the XWAU pack to install the mod but each .opt piece by piece, using the current models from the download section.

After creating a skrimish mission I noticed that the ISD I and ISD II look totally the same. I know that they are alomst the same, except for that antenna on top of the bridge. But now they both look like the ISD II model. The FLIGHTMODELS folder shows that both models were installed.

After experimenting a little bit, it found out, that the game installs originally only one data named IMPERIALSTARDESTROYER2.OPT. The data imperialstardestroyer.opt only appears after installing the mod. However, the game doesn't seem to "accept" or "recognize" that the are now two versions of the ISD.

Does anybody have an idea what's up with that?

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 am

Because there is no true iSD-II .opt model, either the default or XWAUP versions. Both use the same textures. The stats maybe little different though. The ISD-II .opt model "the Avenger and Chameria" is being developed, but won't be ready until later this year. You can get a quick unfinished peak at TFTC site. Also, only the Victory-Class Star Destroyers I and II have "antenna / communication arrays" on them. Don't get those confused with ISD and ISD II models. In-game 3D Tech library will help you learn what is what etc.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:42 am

Not quite what trippin_ was asking, Bman. There were two versions of the ISD model, the original - which had the square-ish comms array on top of the bridge upright, as in ANH - and an ESB version that had the array 'down'.

Most people, myself included, used the ANH version as the ISD-I and the ESB version as the ISD-II.

It's been a long time since I played around with either an XWA install or a craft editor, so to be honest I don't know if those options were taken out of the craft pack, if both models are copied but only one assigned to the shipslots or even if the variations still exist as separate installers. I'm pretty sure the last time I tinkered with the ISDs, they were only available as xmods, so that should tell you how long ago this was.

If no one else comes up with an answer, trippin_, I can take a look when the craft pack goes back online - I'm planning to pick up the GOG version and try out the new 'engine' upgrades, now that they've been bundled into an installer.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:42 am

Gotcha Will-T. You're correct, those bridge array structures are different and do reflect ANH (devastator ISD-1) and horizontal is ESB/ROTJ ISD-II versions. But my point was the other 95% Matt's model is the same body and texture for most part--for now. :-) In the traveling exhibit, they took down the vertical array for the ANH Devastator and changed it to a horizontal position, but the film is still cannon i/m/h/o.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:30 am

Matt did start on an actual ISD-II in the days but it never got past the blank model.
Haven't you been working on one as well, Bman? At least I vaguely remember model shots from the TFTC boards...
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 am

Hi Vince, yes but mine is more detailed than what Matt's probably was going to be. My goal is to make it as close to the movie studio model as possible keeping in mind the limits of game engine. It's about 75% modeled, but on hold for moment since we are focused on TFTC right now with a lot of new cool opportunities utilizing new hangar models (kudos to DS) and objects and new DAT files. Thanks to Jeremy too. But lot of work.

Back on topic, my plan is to then finish modelling ISD-II and get textures done, (including a high-res 32-bit textured version). When it's ready for Opting phase, I was hoping to hand it off to Darksaber and you, and even DTM to tackle all the Opting features etc. Not my expertise in that area and don't want to hold it up for another year or two. Anyway, two versions: standard ISD-II (i.e. Avenger) with dark navy gray as seen in ROTJ and G.Adm. Thrawn's ISD-II "Chimaera" version with a ghostly blue-ish off-white colored hull (if it looks proper). Will get there when we cross that bridge later this summer. :-)

ISD-I (Devastator) could technically be re-done to match the movie model more accurately. I have ton images I've collected from the exhibit and internet. Another project way down road or for somebody else. And the Platform bases... a lot bigger and detailed. :-)