Simply won't start

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Simply won't start

freeholddm
Recruit

Post by freeholddm » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Not sure quite what's happening. I noticed a problem with the game when I was trying to run it without any extra stuff and the game thought I had never played it before- no save games, no save pilots, nothing. This lead to an entire process where I had to petition my ISP for a few router and modem, which resulted in a uninstall/reinstall of xwa. I decided to go whole hog and get the ucp and everything, but now the game doesn't start. I tried the older version on this site, the newer version on darksaber's site, selected my options, everything seemed to install without a problem, but no go. I get the window when I click on the icon, try to start the game, hear the "woosh" sound, but that's it. I tried clicking on the quickstart icon, but that resulted in a dxgi.dll error, so I reinstalled direct x and that still didn't do anything, its saying the file is missing despite reinstalling. Any ideas?

freeholddm
Recruit

Post by freeholddm » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Ah, before I forget, I'm running this on Windows XP.

freeholddm
Recruit

Post by freeholddm » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 am

Okay...So i got it to start.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, avoided the craft packs and downloaded things individually, as well as the super backgrounds.

However, all is not well.

The problem seems to have migrated from not being able to start the game to not being able to start the campaign. Or rather once I start it, the game gets very glitchy. The keyboard works only grudgingly, and the hangar looks strange- space is all white, to boot. I tried starting the mission to see what would happen, and it starts, but everything is white- like flying in milk- and the ship off to my side is moving very jerkily in addition to my own ship flying like it's being redrawn every few seconds.

Any ideas? I really want to enjoy this game fully, but it seems like I'm not going to be able to do so. :kopfwand: