XvT BOP Disc Swapping Issue

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XvT BOP Disc Swapping Issue

stk421
Cadet 4th Class

Post by stk421 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 pm

XvT BOP keeps requiring me to swap my game discs, which hinders effective gameplay, especially when I make and test my own missions.

Is there a way to disable the disc swapping requirement for this game?

Also, since XvT was recently released on GOG.com, does this new release still require disc swapping like the 90s era CD version? Does the GOG version really require a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM? Does it feature 3d graphics or are the graphics restricted to software mode?

I would be eager to play this game without the disc swapping issue.

Hope to hear from you soon,

stk421

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 pm

xwahacker tool (the non-gui version) has support for disabling the disc swapping request and the CD check in general for BoP.
I have not publicly advertised that feature before, but GOG probably used it on their releases so I'd expect it should be ok for me to mention.
It means you have to figure out how to use it on the command-line though.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:20 pm

First: I slightly misremembered, I have no patch to disable the CD check completely.
That isn't much of an issue as CD images work fairly well, plus you need them anyway for the music.
Without using the command-line: make a copy of xvtfixedclear.bat, open it in an editor, change the "-m 1" to "-p 65", save and run it to make it always use the XvT CD.
Use "-p 64" to get a batch file that will reverse this change.

stk421
Cadet 4th Class

Post by stk421 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:06 am

Thank you for getting back in touch with me. I appreciate your help. You wrote an amazing program.

I will test this feature when I get back home from work next week. I will post the results here to let you know if it worked or not.

I am really looking forward to writing and testing my own missions without the disc swapping issue.

Thank you for your help.

Have a good day,

stk421

stk421
Cadet 4th Class

Post by stk421 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 am

Good day,

It has taken a long time for me to finally get the chance to test this feature out and see if I can bypass the CD check for XvT BoP. I did finally have the chance to try this out. It did not work the first time but I think I did get it working.

You wrote an amazing program. I did not even need a newer version of xwahacker. My copy is a few years old.

The "-p 65" fix you indicated in your reply did not work with my older version of xwahacker. The game still asked for the CD check.

I loaded up the xwahacker exe through the command prompt. Using DOS commands I was able to load up the xwahacker command list. In the folder containing the full xwahacker package I typed "xwahacker z_xvt__.exe -l". This command list was very helpful. To fix the CD check problem I used "-p 67" in the copy of the xvtfixedclear.bat you suggested I make to contain the fix. The new .bat file had to have a different title than the old one. I ran the .bat file as you suggested. It seems to work very well at fixing the problem. I have some more testing to do, but I think it worked. You wrote a great program.

I am running XvT, XWA and Tie95 through a WinXP virtual machine with VMWARE Player. For some reason I keep getting screen flicker in XvT before loading a mission. Thankfully the flicker does not continue during the mission, but it does occur before and after a mission. I will see what I can do about that given that it does not always occur, but I am very grateful for your help in fixing the CD check problem because it hindered my ability to play the game and write my own XvT BOP missions.

Thank you for your help,

stk421