NEED HELP: FUBAR'd my patched "modern OS" XWA installation.

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

NEED HELP: FUBAR'd my patched "modern OS" XWA installation.

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Guys,

I need your help! 

I tried to install my (original CDs) X-Wing Alliance game on my Windows XP Professional x64 workstation, but naturally that failed.

So I read and followed the ModDB tutorial on how to patch the setup exe installer to allow installation on a "Modern" operating system (WinXP Pro x64).
This setup patch, creating a new, patched ISO for Disk 1 worked perfectly using Image Burner and ElaborateBytes' Virtual Clone Drive.

So my next step was to then install the XWA v2.02 patch-- also successful!  Then I installed the Fonts Fix.  Game launched successfully, but I didn't have a joystick installed so it slapped me.  Plugged in my old joystick, all was good.

Then I naturally wanted to install all the NEW latest Hi-Def backdrops and DarkSaber's UCP (latest version).

Comment:  So many patches out there for DLL hooks, etc. I didn't think there was any specific patch installation order. But maybe this is where things went tits-up.

First, again following guidance on XWAUpgrade ModDB tutorials... the instructions stated I needed to install Defiant's X-Wing Installer System 2.7.1 (XIS271).  So I did, and this (IIRC) did some patching to the X-Wing Alliance EXE.

Then it stated the next step was to install DarkSaber's UCP.

...But before I installed the DSUCP, I did the following in this order:

1. Installed the TgSmush.dll update.

2. Immediately after #1, I installed the Hi-Def Backdrops (which automatically installed the VS2013 run-time.

3. Immediately after #2, I installed DarkSaber's UCP2.2 (latest version). (I did not realize this would also install the Hi-Def backdrops-- but had a checkbox to do so... which I left checked, IIRC).

Then I attempted to launch the game-- hoping to be welcomed with new Hi-Def graphics, but instead I was greeted with an error complaining about a missing DLL ( missing dxgi.dll ).  I recognized that this dxgi.dll was related to DirectX 11, however, nothing I read/installed seemed to indicate it needed DirectX 11-- does the latest DSUCP require the new DDraw.dll and thus DirectX 11?

4.  Desperate, I searched the internet and found a Russian-made DirectX 10 installer made for Windows XP (...afraid of malware-- so after scanning this Russian installer and backing up my registry... I installed this DirectX 10 for Windows XP hoping it would fix my missing DLL error).  Good news is that after that DirectX10 install, I didn't get the missing DLL error-- but instead got some other kind of crash.  And the two patched X-Wing Alliance launchers placed on my desktop were messed up... one giving me a "Look Here!" or "Not Here!" error dialog the other telling me to reinstall X-Wing Alliance.  So at this point it was royally FUBAR.

5.  So I un-installed the Russian DirectX10, uninstalled the DSUCP-- things were still FUBAR! So then I restored my registry and uninstalled X-Wing Alliance (and anything related to it... AlliED, etc.) :(

...So WHAT DID I DO WRONG?  DarkSaber stated in his UCP min requirements that Bman got this installed properly on WinXP 32-bit, so shouldn't this work on Windows XP x64 as well? 

What is the correct process to get XWA and all the new Hi-Def goodies installed and working properly on WinXP Pro x64?

I really want all this on my WinXP Pro x64 workstation because that is where I have my 3ds Max 8 installed.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Hello,

The DSUCP alreadly includes DTM's Super Backdrops, fixes and new DLLs.

So the typical install steps are:
  1. install XWA 2.02 (CD version + 2.02 update ; or digital version)
  2. install DSUCP
  3. use XwaHacker to setup the resolution
Note: The new DDraw.dll is not compatible with Windows XP.

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:Hello,

The DSUCP alreadly includes DTM's Super Backdrops, fixes and new DLLs.

So the typical install steps are:
  1. install XWA 2.02 (CD version + 2.02 update ; or digital version)
  2. install DSUCP
  3. use XwaHacker to setup the resolution
Note: The new DDraw.dll is not compatible with Windows XP.
But what did I install that required the Ddraw.DLL???

Where did I go wrong? Has anyone successfully installed everything on WinXP Pro x64?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 am

The new ddraw.dll was installed by DSUCP.
It is not a requirement. You can remove ddraw.dll. The craft pack will works on Windows XP.

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 am

JeremyaFr wrote:The new ddraw.dll was installed by DSUCP.
It is not a requirement. You can remove ddraw.dll. The craft pack will works on Windows XP.
Was it wrong to install XIS271 ???

Ok, thanks! I'll give it another go tonight on my WinXP pro x64 workstation. Could Ddraw.dll be made compatible with that Russian compiled DirectX10 version for WinXP?

I Google'd and found it... this may lead you to it: directX10.org

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 01, 2015 8:28 pm

So I read and followed the ModDB tutorial on how to patch the setup exe installer to allow installation on a "Modern" operating system (WinXP Pro x64).
First this so call XWAUpgrade ModDB is NOT affiliated with this website or Darksaber's X-Wing Station, the guy who made it just ripped everything from XWAUP and should be trusted, it should be closed down.
So my next step was to then install the XWA v2.02 patch-- also successful!  Then I installed the Fonts Fix.  Game launched successfully, but I didn't have a joystick installed so it slapped me.  Plugged in my old joystick, all was good.

Then I naturally wanted to install all the NEW latest Hi-Def backdrops and DarkSaber's UCP (latest version).

Comment:  So many patches out there for DLL hooks, etc. I didn't think there was any specific patch installation order. But maybe this is where things went tits-up.
The Font Fix is a selectable option within the DSUCPv2.2. All the DLL Hook stuff is automatically installed with the DSUCPv2.2
First, again following guidance on XWAUpgrade ModDB tutorials... the instructions stated I needed to install Defiant's X-Wing Installer System 2.7.1 (XIS271).  So I did, and this (IIRC) did some patching to the X-Wing Alliance EXE.
What a load of bull! Defiant's X-Wing Installer System 2.7.1 (XIS271) is exactly as is stated, it's an "Installer System" a tool, it basically pre-dates my installers, you create Xmods to run with it, so installing XIS make no difference if it was installed it does nothing to the game unless you use a xmod.
1. Installed the TgSmush.dll update.
Already included with the DSUCPv2.2
2. Immediately after #1, I installed the Hi-Def Backdrops (which automatically installed the VS2013 run-time.
Included with the DSUCPv2.2
3. Immediately after #2, I installed DarkSaber's UCP2.2 (latest version). (I did not realize this would also install the Hi-Def backdrops-- but had a checkbox to do so... which I left checked, IIRC).
The checkbox is required, it's not an option you could uncheck.
Then I attempted to launch the game-- hoping to be welcomed with new Hi-Def graphics, but instead I was greeted with an error complaining about a missing DLL ( missing dxgi.dll ).  I recognized that this dxgi.dll was related to DirectX 11, however, nothing I read/installed seemed to indicate it needed DirectX 11-- does the latest DSUCP require the new DDraw.dll and thus DirectX 11?
Most if not all of Jeremy's DLL hook stuff including the new DDraw.dll require DirectX 11. DirectX 11 will not run on Windows XP therefore all the new superbackdrop, hangar hook stuff and DDraw.dll, with not work.
4.  Desperate, I searched the internet and found a Russian-made DirectX 10 installer made for Windows XP (...afraid of malware-- so after scanning this Russian installer and backing up my registry... I installed this DirectX 10 for Windows XP hoping it would fix my missing DLL error).  Good news is that after that DirectX10 install, I didn't get the missing DLL error-- but instead got some other kind of crash.  And the two patched X-Wing Alliance launchers placed on my desktop were messed up... one giving me a "Look Here!" or "Not Here!" error dialog the other telling me to reinstall X-Wing Alliance.  So at this point it was royally FUBAR.
Yep you said it, it would be faster upgrading to a new operating system namely Windows 7 or 8 than running or using a Russian spyware/virus DirectX 10 installer.
...So WHAT DID I DO WRONG?  DarkSaber stated in his UCP min requirements that Bman got this installed properly on WinXP 32-bit, so shouldn't this work on Windows XP x64 as well? 
Sorry that statement shouldn't be there it was part of the older DSUCPv2.1. Sorry it mislead you, Basically the new DSUCPv2.2 will not run on Window XP 32bit or 64 bit.
What is the correct process to get XWA and all the new Hi-Def goodies installed and working properly on WinXP Pro x64?
Upgrade your operating system wo windows 7 or higher.
I really want all this on my WinXP Pro x64 workstation because that is where I have my 3ds Max 8 installed.
Sorry DSUCPv2.2 will not run correctly on your system.
ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Assistance given, sorry it was no help!

Ok the correct way to make an installation disc is:

1. Create a folder called XWA_DISK_1

2. copy ALL the files from XWA disk 2 to the folder

FLIGHTMODELS
INSTALL
MISSIONS
MOVIES
RESDATA
WAVE
Autorun.exe
DISK2.ID
AUTORUN.INF

3. Copy all the files from XWA Disk 1 to the folder, when asked to replace the other files click ok

ALLIANCE
DIRECTX
FLIGHTMODELS
INSTALL
MISSIONS
MOVIES
RESDATA
WAVE
ALLIANCE.EXE
SETUP.EXE
DISK1.ID
AUTORUN.INF

4. Next use Markus Egger's X-Wing_Alliance_MSI_v1.0.0.0 available from his website and run it so the content are copied over the XWA_DISK_1 folder, the content are

Alliance.ico
X-Wing Alliance.msi
Setup.exe
Instructions.html

Copy these files to the XWA_DISK_1 folder, when asked to replace the other files click ok

5. Your XWA_DISK_1 Folder should now look like this

ALLIANCE
DIRECTX
FLIGHTMODELS
INSTALL
MISSIONS
MOVIES
RESDATA
WAVE
ALLIANCE.EXE
Autorun.exe
SETUP.EXE
Instructions.html
DISK1.ID
DISK2.ID
AUTORUN.INF
Alliance.ico
X-Wing Alliance.msi

6. You’re ready to burn the contents of your temporary XWA folder! - (not the XWA_DISK _1 folder itself, just the file and folders within) to a blank DVD and label it XWA_DISK_1 in the DVD burning program of your choice (eg. Nero). Or you could create and *.ISO file using something like ImgBurn

7. Install XWA using this SINGLE disk, by running X-Wing Alliance.msi, install the 2.02 patch if you have to, run the XWA Launcher (Alliance.exe) create a Pilot file.

8. Start XWA run the mission.

Also in future please don't PM me asking me to take a look at your problem as I'm more likely to ignore it, if I have anything to say on the topic I'll replay, I don't need to be prompted, thanks
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Thank you for your assistance. But now I'm a little confused...

@JeremyaFr stated above that the Ddraw.dll is not a hard requirement and could be deleted.
JeremyaFr wrote: The new ddraw.dll was installed by DSUCP. It is not a requirement. You can remove ddraw.dll. The craft pack will works on Windows XP.
So I'm assuming the new backdrops will also work if I remove the Ddraw.dll? Guess I can give it a try... but any clarification would be appreciated.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri May 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Except the new DDraw.dll, everything else should work on Windows XP. But depending on your system, I can't guarantee that everything will work well.

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:Except the new DDraw.dll, everything else should work on Windows XP. But depending on your system, I can't guarantee that everything will work well.
Merci Jeremy, I will give the installation another try and then delete the Ddraw.dll and let you know how it goes.

My system:
WinXP x64, Intel i7-3930K 3.2GHz CPU, 32Gb RAM
2x nVidia GTX580 3Gb video cards

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:54 am

JeremyaFr wrote:Except the new DDraw.dll, everything else should work on Windows XP. But depending on your system, I can't guarantee that everything will work well.
Jeremy,

I followed @Darksaber guidance to create a single disk ISO image... and re-installed XWA on my WinXP x64 machine, and then applied the v2.02 patch. I played the first mission without issues with the original graphics.

...then I installed the DSUCP and after the DSUCP installer was finished I removed the DDraw.dll and DDraw.cfg files from the XWA folder. I did not install the XwaHacker tool to setup up the resolution...

Then I started the game and went do the next mission; the 3D models of the ships were messed up during EmKay's briefing, like this:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183 ... hdz11l.jpg

...and when going to the hangar and getting to the cockpit viewport the screen had all the graphics being stretched/distorted funneling back to the upper left corner of the screen amongst some other colorful noise and stretching...

What else could I have done wrong during the DSUCP? Or failed to do?

archangel35757
Cadet 4th Class

Post by archangel35757 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Maybe I could try installing the previous DS Craft Pack that still worked in Windows XP... that would be version 2.1, yeah? Where can I find a download link to this previous version ( I didn't readily find a download link for this previous version anywhere )?