X-Wing Vs Tie on Win 7 Pro x64... to begin with.

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

X-Wing Vs Tie on Win 7 Pro x64... to begin with.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Thu May 07, 2015 7:41 pm

After the help I recieved from here getting XWA working on Win 7 Pro x64... and upgraded with DSUCP 2.2 I am hoping that you guys and girls can help me yet again.

Checked the FAQ and did a search but came up empty.

I have original CD's for X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter & Balance of power and would love to get them installed on my current OS.

Additionally, I also have the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter re-release CD that updated them to the X Vs T game engine.

So you know what's coming next... I'd love to get them all working, and perhaps looking better. :)

I was one of the muppets who purchased the X-Wing bundle through steam a week ago... none of them worked properly and were actually inferior versions to what I have on disc. They've been uninstalled and waiting for steam to respond about a refund. I'm in the UK so I have the sale and supply of goods act on my side.

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Fri May 08, 2015 10:46 pm

With the original CDs you can build MSI installers (I'm guessing you probably used these for X-Wing Alliance?) from this site here. I've had it working on my system which is the same as yours but I don't remember having to hack the exe's. I could be wrong though about that as it's been a while.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Sat May 09, 2015 8:50 am

VPR wrote:With the original CDs you can build MSI installers (I'm guessing you probably used these for X-Wing Alliance?) from this site here. I've had it working on my system which is the same as yours but I don't remember having to hack the exe's. I could be wrong though about that as it's been a while.

Cheers, I shall look into it... Noticed your sig, is that just adding the XWA missions to the X vs T game, or will there be updated opts too?

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Sat May 09, 2015 10:47 am

In relation to your original post I wasn't sure where you are struggling to get the games to run, the MSI are there if you can't get the installers on the CDs to work. If you can install them okay then you don't need the MSI installers. If you can install them okay off CD but can't get the game to run I think the XWA hacker tool can help but like I said I haven't had XvT/BoP on my machine for a few years now. I do remember needing ATI Catalyst drivers 13.1 though as later versions don't work if you have an ATI/AMD graphics card, whether the DDraw.dll can help with this for current drivers I don't know and you'd have to ask in the thread.

I've only done campaigns for Balance of Power (not related to XWA) which are on the site. I did have plans for doing an XWA campaign of some sort but at the moment I'm not working on anything.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Sat May 09, 2015 10:58 am

Copied all of the XvsT CD1 to a desktop folder, extracted the zip and ran the program which overwrites some of the files.

Try to install and it gets to a point where it asks for a readme file in support\patch\ folder... but this folder doesn't exist, if I tell it to ignore that file... it immediately pops up with another different file... and so on.

Can I ignore those, or do I have a different version to the one this installer is for?

VPR
Cadet 1st Class

Post by VPR » Sat May 09, 2015 11:12 am

You should have a ..\Support\Patch\ in the folder you created, in there there should be 18 folders with random names. If this isn't there then looks like the support files aren't installed properly. Have you checked this part of the instructions?

Code: Select all

!!! Obligatory: Execute NiftyZip on the Patch file:
niftyzip xvt_3dfx.exe Patch [ENTER]
!!! Obligatory You should now have a folder Support\Patch with several "weird" subfolders containing the original patch files. Don't change anything in that folder!
Sound like you might of missed this bit or it's not worked for you.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 am

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted... My fault for not fully reading things through first... I think I've figured it now and have just created an ISO image and am about to try it.

I hadn't downloaded the patch... which is no longer available from lucasarts as the website redirects to disney and starwars.com.. But I found it via a google search.

Fingers crossed it works now.

Then I'll try the MP disc.... and then BoP.