XWA Craft Pack 1.2 Campaign doesn't work

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWA Craft Pack 1.2 Campaign doesn't work

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Tue May 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Hello, I have been playing XWA for many years and have enjoyed used the ship mods from this site, and I was really excited to use the all-in-one mod. So I started to use this release a couple weeks ago on my Win7 64bit and it looks really nice in skirmishes! However, it doesn't seem to work consistently in the campaign. After the game froze multiple times upon my trying to start different missions, I somehow managed to load up the first campaign mission (I believe that starting the mission very quickly after the game booted up was what allowed me to play it). Since then, I have been unable to get the campaign to work again.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling not only the mod, but the game as well (using the installation method described by Darksaber here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11383 ). So far nothing has worked and I am unsure of what could be causing this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My PC- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel i5-4670K CPU @3.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:32 pm

which version of the game are you using ?

CD, GOG or steam ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Thu May 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm using the CD version, installed according to the directions in the link posted above.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:58 pm

ok, did you also put the dx11 hack by jeremy in xwa main folder ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Thu May 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Sorry I took a while to respond. Yes, I have tried it with the one that came with this installer and also with his on his other thread, but neither of them allow me to play the campaign. I can play skirmish just fine with both of them. One thing that I have noticed is that when I begin a skirmish, the loading bar starts to jump (this is normal for me) but then the Win7 loading circle appears around the mouse for a second before the game starts. In campaign, the loading circle remains around the mouse and the game will not start at all.

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm

Update:

Using jeremy's dx11dll, I now notice that if I start a campaign mission fast enough, I can sometimes hit enter as soon as I get into the hangar and play the mission. I cannot choose my warheads or my ship though. Also, hitting H and restarting (which brings me back into the hangar) causes the same problem to occur and the game will freeze. So it seems like there is definitely something wrong with the campaign hangar...

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat May 30, 2015 9:59 am

Someone else reported this issue (keyboard input not working in hangar) before. But I am not sure if it was here or on the GOG forums, and I don't remember how it was resolved (but I am fairly sure it was resolved). So try searching around if you haven't figured it out.
I don't think those are the right ones, but a quick search had the suggestions of using RunFirst to run only on on CPU core and select Windows XP compatibility mode.

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Sat May 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try tonight! But I feel that I should clarify my statement: I still have complete control of my keyboard in the hangar, that is not the issue. What I meant to say was that I would not have time to change my craft or warheads because if I stayed in the hangar for literally more than 2 seconds, the game would freeze and the "XWA has stopped working" error message would pop up.

agorageek
Cadet 4th Class

Post by agorageek » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:59 pm

I have this same problem. I've also found that if I'm quick enough and hit the Esc key when this freezing occurs it will take me to the menu. From there I can return to the hangar and get a few more seconds. Sometimes I have to repeat this process several times before I can get the craft/loadout I desire and launch from the hangar.