XWA crashes when loading missions

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWA crashes when loading missions

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm

I just bought a brand new computer yesterday due to a storm we had that fried my PC (and TV). I installed XWA no problem, I believe I used that MSI installer, where I burned everything to a CD and installed it from there. I loaded up XWA no problems, turned on 3D Hardware, tried to start a mission and got this message on the mission loading screen:

XWA has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I went back and upgraded to the 2.02 patch (I forget if it was even at version 2.02, I did so anyway). I go back and same exact problem. If 3D Hardware is turned off, on the mission load screen it doesn't show, its just a black screen.

Here's the exact PC I bought:
http://www.bestbuy.com//site/asus-23-to ... Id=2031017

And here are my specs. If you need anything else just let me know.
http://s14.postimg.org/7q7bi2vgh/pc1.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/kr1fxhbk1/pc2.jpg
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Link to Best Buy not working, sorry guys. Here's a list of what my PC is.

Asus - 23" Touch-Screen All-In-One - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - Black

5th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-5200U processor

Features a 3MB L3 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor

Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
23" LED-backlit full high-definition IPS widescreen 10-point touch-screen display

With 1920 x 1080 resolution delivers crisp images and simplifies navigation of features.
All-in-one design

Features a subwoofer to reproduce sound accurately. Wireless keyboard with a slim design and a wireless mouse allow comfortable use.
8GB RAM

For multitasking power.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive

Lets you create custom DVDs and CDs.
2TB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Offers plenty of storage and fast read/write times.
Nuance Dragon Assistant voice recognition software

Lets you control a variety of features by speaking.
Intel® HD Graphics 4400

For crisp visuals. HDMI input and output offer flexible connectivity.
2.0MP webcam

Makes it easy to stay in touch with family and friends.
6-in-1 media reader

Supports SD, SDHC, MMC and more.
4 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port

Provide fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in wireless LAN (802.11ac)

Enables wireless Internet connection.
Bluetooth 4.0

Allows simple connectivity to other Bluetooth-enabled devices.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet networking interface

With RJ-45 connector for easy wired connection to the Web.
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit operating system preinstalled

For a stable platform.
Software package included

With PhotoDirector, PowerDirector and more.

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:12 pm

I ended up getting XWA to work. I installed the 1.3 patch which got it running. Before the 1.3 patch installed, it asked to install something else which said if it didn't install, it wouldn't work. I honestly forget what it was at this point, but I go into control panel, a Microsoft visual 2013 pack was installed. I'm guessing that was it? I thought maybe it was a DirectX program.. I honestly forget. I installed the 1.3 patch before when I had my old computer which was Windows 7/NVidia, it never asked me to install anything before hand. I never thought the 1.3 patch would make my game work. I always assumed my system was the problem.

The stock missions worked, however the skirmish wasn't working. It seemed every skirmish I loaded was an X-wing against a TIE Avenger. The Avenger would just sit there and do nothing. I tried switching up the TIEs, if I put in a Bomber it reverted back to an Avenger. I went into the skirmish folder in the XWA directory and deleted the temp.tie file. I go back into skirmish and everything worked perfectly. I never had that happen before so I was glad to get it figured out.

The only problem is when sitting in your craft in the hanger, I can use the mouse to look around, but if I click my mouse to center the view the game freezes. That also never happened with my old computer. I'll just make sure not to do that lol, but all is good!

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Maybe you can help me out...I'm going through the same thing you went through and got the same exact errors and message when loading a mission. I would be forever in your debt if you could tell me what you did step by step and what files you downloaded and how to use them. :hilfe:
I heard of the 2.02 Patch but never heard of the 1.3 patch you speak of..

I can make ordinary XWA run fine..it's trying to play it with the Upgraded Craft Pack (UCP) I have issues with..I just downloaded Ver 2.3 from Darksaber's site but I'm still running into brick walls. :kopfwand: I wonder how everyone else here got XWA with Upgrade Pack to work seemingly with no issues..

Little backstory:
In the past...I somehow made XWAUCP work on Windows 7 64 bit. But ever since I got an SSD and reinstalled Windows I've been pulling my hair out trying to make it work again...I just don't get what's going on!

I must be missing / forgetting something since XWA w/ Upgrade Pack still works with my old Windows 7 / 64 bit system on my old HDD (good thing I kept that around.....)

I'm thinking of migrating my old Windows onto my SSD so XWA will work. But just in case I need to start from scratch I'd like to know all the proper things to get and steps to take...I had issues with RealTek audio drivers as I read they've wreaked havoc on XWA w/Upgrade but I somehow got around that.

I'm still a noob to this site / forums and tried searching with every keyword I could think of... I wish there was a thread or tutorial to making this all work on Windows 7 64 bit.
Oh yeah, tried turning on Compatibility Mode for every Windows option and the game won't load period.
Anyway, thanks in advance!

gongo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by gongo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:43 pm

-
Last edited by gongo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 pm

^ That must have been the program that installed on my system before the 1.3 patch installed. I didn't remember what it was because I clicked yes on the install a little too quick, as in the past there were never any prior pop-ups to the 1.3 patch.

So for me, a clean install of XWA. Everything worked until I tried to load missions, regular and skirmish. Finally I tried the 1.3 patch, as I said before that Microsoft program gongo mentioned must have been the program installed as I clicked yes a bit too quick. The 1.3 patch installed automatically, loaded up XWA and everything was perfect.

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:39 pm

gongo wrote: Also make sure that you've installed vcredist_x86.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40784
The DirectDraw dll uses the 32-bit libraries in that Microsoft package so even though you have 64-bit Windows you need to install the 32-bit package.
Thanks for the tip! ;)

(BTW, I was confused with the numbers since 'Patch' was said.. I didn't realize the 1.3 was for THIS site's Craft Pack..I thought there was only Darksaber's..but hey now I know..anyway..)

When installing with either Craft Pack, don't they include ' vcredist_x86.exe' automatically? (I see some Microsoft / C++ file gibberish included when installing either. And I'm sure I downloaded and installed that file and still had no luck.. But good to know that 'vcredist_x86.exe' is needed.. I appreciate the response and help :D I'll let you know how it goes! Anything else I need to download to make sure either Craft Pack work?

Thanks and Thanks in Advance!

RogueSquadronRules
Recruit

Post by RogueSquadronRules » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:29 pm

gongo wrote: Also make sure that you've installed vcredist_x86.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40784
The DirectDraw dll uses the 32-bit libraries in that Microsoft package so even though you have 64-bit Windows you need to install the 32-bit package.
Well I'll be...sooo many thanks to you sir! after getting vcredist_x86.exe installed, XWA with Darksaber's Craft Pack works perfectly now! I'm just thrilled to be able to play missions with no hiccups!

Now if I could solve the choppy cutscenes along with getting the HD patch for them to work...

Anyhoo thanks again Gongo!
:D