XWA & Windows 10

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWA & Windows 10

banistersmind
Recruit

Post by banistersmind » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:28 am

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Win 10 and found that my previously beautifully running version of XWA has now descended into an unplayable disaster.

I previously had it installed with the 2.02 update and the v1.3 XWA craft pack. Now it routine crashes mid mission and I get error messages relating to the GPU.

I tried uinstalling it and doing a fresh install using the ModDB tool for installing it modern OS. I patched it then applied the v1.3 upgrade but so far, nothing seems to have changed.

I'm at a loss as to what do next.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:44 pm

ok, first of all, thanks...

I was going to made the same mistake (upgrade my gaming pc to Win 10) and you saved me. I will try to slice some information about solutions, but with the WIN 10 being so recent, I doubt someone has just made it worked well yet... Expecially with the retrogamers need in mind.

One advice I could make is to assembly a "old style" PC, with used materials, now very cheap, to play this games without problems. Here in Rome (Italy) I could make it with less than 50 € (i.e: 35 £ aka 60 $). This is the minimal way to have no problem at all.

banistersmind
Recruit

Post by banistersmind » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:00 am

In the 24 or so hours since my OP I seemed to have solved my problems.

I basically started completely from scratch. I uninstalled everything from my system, ensured that there were no lingering registry entries or folders. I then reinstalled using the method recommended for newer OS's. I then applied the updates and the upgrade package.

One thing I also did was to disable my screen saver (the SETI at home screensaver) and it seems to have worked. The game plays really smoothly once more.

I'm playing it with my son right now as I type this and all seems to be well.