v1.2 GOG patch not working with Wineskin

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

v1.2 GOG patch not working with Wineskin

K.Farlander
Recruit

Post by K.Farlander » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi Guys,

I apologise if this is already answered (I did search a LOT before posting).
In short when I load a mission the game crashes, saying "the Game Could Not Start" - not very exciting or helpful I know. But hopefully it's obscure enough for someone who likes a challenge, more details below.

XWA version GOG v2.02
XWA Upgrade version v1.2
(installed v1.3 but only uses v1.2 for GOG, non-Steam)
Running on a 2014 Mac with Wineskin 2.6.0, engine WS9wine1.7.50
(Basically everything is current versions)

After a couple of tweaks followed from here:
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwin ... h_wineskin

XWA GOG Installation was working fine (albeit very mid 1990's) until I installed the v1.2 upgrade pack, which is why I'm posting here rather than a Mac/Wine/GOG forum. I was even able to play with a Playstation DS4 controller as my joystick natively! Nice! anyway,

The only differences with the WineSkin install are the following;

1/. I then used XWAhacker to change render from 32bit to 16bit. this removes wonky colours in GUI once you fire up a mission.
in config.cfg i think.. I'm unable to change back after v1.2 install.
2/. Fixed flickering 2D GUI via winetricks: Advanced->Tools->Winetricks->settings->ddr=gdi -> RUN this worked.
the gog forum above then says to use Crossover engine WS9WineCX14.1.3, to reenable hardware rendering but this is not yet installed and the game ran fine.

But then I've uninstalled, and reinstalled with just the XWA v2.02 then v1.2 Upgrades, this time without changing Wine's rendering settings in case they were conflicting with the v1.2 Upgrade changes, but I get the same crash.

I did change the Direct Draw Rendering from GDI back to OpenGL in Wine, and that crashed at the same time as usual but this time with an error log. I can post this if anyone is interested.

I've not attempted any wide-screenage yet and chose 1600x1200 for my TIE cock (options were nearly all a 1.33 ratio, screen is 1.6)

I hope that's enough to get someone started, please help get this old pilot back in the Hi-res saddle.

Gold 7

ps please no suggestions to use a VM of windows, it's a bit overkill when I think Wine is working ok, just needs the right checkboxes checking.