Weird Graphical Jitter in some cockpits!

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Weird Graphical Jitter in some cockpits!

TomMassey250
Recruit

Post by TomMassey250 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:09 am

Hi there! I've been a huge fan of XWA and the XWA Upgrade Project for many years, but I've never really encountered a problem before that I haven't been able to solve without searching the forums. This time it seems I need to ask for help :ops:

I've been using the XWA Upgrade 1.2 with my GOG installation, I've also been using Darksabers Craft Pack (which includes more EU ships, like E-Wing and Droid Fighters for skirmishes) and I've modified my screen resolution to 1920x1080. But on some cockpits I've noticed a really irritating 'jitter' (sort of a wiggle, a texture stretching and quivering in the cockpit) which varies from ship to ship.

It appears in all of the TIE Fighter cockpits, as well as the E-wing, YT-2300 and a few others, its only noticeable from the default view too, if you move the camera inside the cockpit, it goes away! How weird huh?

Its a very slight wiggling with the textures as the ships move, its more visible when you rotate your craft.

I've attached a picture to help show where it is, although bare in mind that its an animated jitter, and won't show on a static image.
textures.jpg
I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this and knows how to fix it?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blam666
Recruit

Post by blam666 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to present times, but I didn't find anything resembling a fix for this problem so far anywhere in the net. Sorry, If the OP and me are missing something obvious here, I found nothing about this in the thread about "Common graphic problems" so far either.

I encountered this "jittering" of the cockpit textures in GOG 2.0.0.9, WITHOUT any of the XWAU enhancements. It appears in Widescreen resolutions
as well as standard res.

I installed this great game fresh on a new Win 10 64bit system and I think I remember this little graphical glitch has always been there, also on an old WinXP Home OS I originally played XWA on.

It seems to be pretty common, you can see exactly the jitter I'm describing even in the Steam demo videos for the game, too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/36167 ... _Alliance/

Have a look at the second video from the left. The problem the OP and me describe is shortly viewable after about 10 seconds in the lower right corner behind the purple mission goals monitor. It tends to get a good degree worse on my system, making the game look somewhat glitchy. Widescreen modes also enhanve the problem, as nothing is hidden behind the info screens.

The thing is: I'm not very far into the game, I only experienced this with the Sabre (?) cockbit in the first mission: I didn't have glitchs like this in the X-WIng cockpits in the simulator room.

The OP is correct, when you change your perspective with the joystick's hat it ceases, also it usually goes away when you don't use your control and move your ship.

So do you folks know a way how to get rid of this? Is there maybe an alternative texture for the Sabre cockpits, not even enhanced that could be used?