Is this flight stick/joystick faulty or is it normal?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Is this flight stick/joystick faulty or is it normal?

whib96
Recruit

Post by whib96 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:04 am

I recently purchased a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick off eBay to play the good ol' X-Wing series games again. It didn't take me long to realize that the Z axis is detecting input very easily. When I feel like I am pulling back the stick with the Z axis neutral, it will often read a 3%-7% input on the Z axis. For a game like X-Wing, that's a slight problem because my ship rolls and pitches up at the same time when I ONLY want it to pitch up.

Yes, I am working on setting dead zones, so no need to suggest that. Can anyone with experience with these things tell me if this is normal? Is the Z axis usually so sensitive so that moving the stick on the X and Y axes will cause a little Z axis input? I need to know ASAP so I can try to return the item if it's defective.

I will see about getting a picture here if what I'm saying is not clear.

gongo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by gongo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:12 pm

-
Last edited by gongo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Aye, the Yaw motion isn't "pure", there is an arc to it. It's just a different style of flying, unless you go through and reset the controls to a more traditional layout. And frankly it's not surprising that a used stick is showing flutter or not zeroing properly on at least one axis.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt