Stupidly Messed Up Skirmish...

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Stupidly Messed Up Skirmish...

sbunten
Recruit

Post by sbunten » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:17 am

Hello XWA Upgrade community!

I hope this topic is allowed on here. While I don't have XWAUCP, this seems to be the main active XWA forum out there, and I could use some help!

I've installed Darksaber's Ultimate Craft Pack for about a year and thought I'd add some more ships via mxvted, which I used to do regularly a few years back. Decided to add EvilJedi's V-Wing to start. I realized I already had a "Vwing.opt" so I decide to back that up just in case it's part of DSUCP for some reason (though, I assume, I had begun to install this once before and stopped for some reason). When writing the ship file in mxvted, I get this message: "Strings.txt stuff will not be written for slots above 217. Everything else will be written as normal." and I decide to test it out. When I load up a skirmish (V-Wing vs YT-1300), game crashes. Removed the opt and started up again, when it gets to skirmish, it crashes. So, I go and reinstall that previous "Vwing.opt" i backed up and try again. Crashes at singleplayer skirmish again. The only thing I've thought I could do at this point is delete the Temp.tie and temporary files in the skirmish folder, but I still crashed at skirmish screen. I also tried using Allied to copy Battle 1 Mission 1 to the temporary skirmish files, and this didn't work either. I'm now officially stumped.

Is there a way to get myself out of this without reinstalling the whole game? I seem to recall MUCH difficulty in getting XWA to run on my computer to start with, and I'd like to avoid that if at all necessary. Does the problem lie in the skirmish folder? Or is there a way to actually fix the V wing installation via mxvted? I feel like an idiot! Please help :kopfwand: :kopfwand: :kopfwand:

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:50 am

Hello,
The best way is to reinstall the game.
Then you can make a copy of the game folder. Use the copied folder to test crafts, leaving the main game directory intact.

sbunten
Recruit

Post by sbunten » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Hello JeremyaFr, thanks for the reply!

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Well, I will definitely make a copy this next time around! So, you mean create another folder for the backup somewhere, and when I want to test new craft, I just swap the copied one for the actual game folder? I wish I had thought of that before I screwed it all up!! haha

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:23 pm

TIPS: To avoid to have to switch the folders, you can launch the game directly with XWingAlliance.exe for a given folder instead of Alliance.exe (the launcher).

sbunten
Recruit

Post by sbunten » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Jeremy, I did as you suggested and now I have two installations, allowing for me to expirement with the one and restore files as needed. Thanks for the help!