problems after upgrade on Win7 64bit

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: problems after upgrade on Win7 64bit

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:36 am

Thanks, Jeremy. I remembered seeing that, but I wasn't able to find it with a forum search. (Also, although I see that these are applied to the XWAUCP 1.6 exe, they are not listed in the XwaExePatcher 1.0.15 xml file.)

guru_redeye, could you try the following to disable the AI ejection in skirmish mode and see if it resolves your issue?
  1. Download XwaExePatcher from https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaExePa ... ag/v1.0.15 (XwaExePatcher-1.0.15.zip) and extract it to any location of your chosing.
  2. As noted above, the patch for the skirmish mode ejection is not yet added to the XwaExePatcher xml file. Open the patcher.xml in a text editor and add the following to the <ArrayOfPatch> section:

Code: Select all

<Patch Name ="enable escape pod / pilots ejection on skirmish missions">
        <Item Offset="178BB6" From="C68429C90D000016" To="C68429C90D000000" />
      </Patch>

3. Follow the instructions in the XwaExePatcher readme to run XwaExePatcher. You should see that the skirmish mode ejection patch is applied. Click "Restore" to remove it.

guru_redeye
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by guru_redeye » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 pm

ok people I guess I have caught the cause of crash, and it seems it's an XWAUCP vs Discord conflict.

Firstly, there is an additional fact about myself : I usually run Discord (being logged in on Justagai's X-Wing PC Series Comms server along with a few others) when I am playing XWAUCP.

It seems if I either

- do not run Discord at all while running XWAUCP,

- shoot down Discord Overlay globally (in Discord App Settings) while running XWAUCP or

- set myself Invisible on Discord while running XWAUCP,

I can NOT reproduce the crash no matter how many times I play through the skirmish.

keiranhalcyon7 if you have also encountered the crash it was probably because you also ran Discord while you were doing the tests. So it seems it was a false alarm because it's actually easily resolvable by setting up / shooting down Discord.

Sorry & thanks for everyone's patience.

long live XWAUCP!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Thanks for the explaination.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Interesting, I just installed Discord Last night. If I don't use the overlay then there should be no issues? (I don't know why I would use it ingame though anyways)

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 am

Try to run discord and xwa with different cpu affinity. Maybe it is a case when an old software an a newer conflict on the same memory offsets or cpu timing. Not a rare case as such on windows. Another trick could be run discord through a virtual machine.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 pm

It sounds like the simplest solution here is to turn off the Discord overlay.